Doe Factory....

2 of the pics are on my computer which is dead right now.

I expect a few more in the next 2 weeks to show up.

My "hunt week" is november1st-5th this year.

No spikes in the last few weeks on camera. Lots of 2.5 year Olds a few 3.5 and one shooter.

Still learning what a "mature" deer looks like in this area. It's my second season on this land.

f38a154cdbe1c3374ec0dcca5755ffb9.jpg
02414aff0e7e47f388d533c22fa12323.jpg
3ab9f727f46b4a0fecac3dfe48cc4a71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Looking good. there's some real potential there. And trying to shoot only only 4 1/2 yr olds just isn't practical in some areas, you would hardly ever shoot a deer. If you don't have enough land, poor genetics in your area, poaching, or neighbors hunting over illegal baitpiles, and you want to justify your time and investment with some bragging rights it's ok to just shoot a nice seven or eight point sometimes. Just my opinion of course, everyone sets their bar at a different level.

Looking good. there's some real potential there. And trying to shoot only only 4 1/2 yr olds just isn't practical in some areas, you would hardly ever shoot a deer. If you don't have enough land, poor genetics in your area, poaching, or neighbors hunting over illegal baitpiles, and you want to justify your time and investment with some bragging rights it's ok to just shoot a nice seven or eight point sometimes. Just my opinion of course, everyone sets their bar at a different level.
I'll have to agree with that. My goal has always been to harvest the oldest deer on the farm no matter the size. Here lately as my deer numbers have increased and the more bucks I let go in hope they make it to the next age class it seems the more I see pictures of my neighbors with some really good 2 year old and same awesome 3 year old deer on the ground. Since getting rid of all of my members this year I've decided to shoot what makes me smile. It's just so happens to be older deer. I'm still forgoing killing any doe off my main farm for the 3rd year in a row. I hope this increases the doe numbers to where the bucks don't have to travel as far to find love. Couple that with reduced pressure from hunters I hope the deer stay put. Bit rest assured I've got a couple 3 year old bucks that even given the chance they'll get an arrow slung their way quick. I feel like that's realistic goal in my area. I know I'll never come out ahead but to justify the expense to my wife I have to put some deer on the ground at some point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My personal standard right now is simple: bigger than the last one.

I have killed nearly 25 does, but only three bucks in my life. right now its not a very high bar. 115 inches would probably be good enough for me.

However i try to think along the lines of maturity also.

I am a believer. Sturgis taught me this

Last couple of years everything was in check. Reasonable does, good bucks.

This year, no acorns, mild winter. Overrun by does. Bucks, even though the most mild winter I remember, very poor. As poor as we've had. We've got only one buck we recogonize that has returned from last year. We passed 10-12 yearling bucks last year, hardly a 2 year old on farm

We are in a doe management year this year.

The hard part is I am afraid to reduce food till we get this under control

I am a believer. Sturgis taught me this

Last couple of years everything was in check. Reasonable does, good bucks.

This year, no acorns, mild winter. Overrun by does. Bucks, even though the most mild winter I remember, very poor. As poor as we've had. We've got only one buck we recogonize that has returned from last year. We passed 10-12 yearling bucks last year, hardly a 2 year old on farm

We are in a doe management year this year.

The hard part is I am afraid to reduce food till we get this under control
That's tough hunting. But things can change fast. I hope your situation turns out better come first week of November and a few four year olds show up.

Thanks for encouragement

3 does hit the dirt last night. I am fortunate to be surrounded by neighbors who like to shoot does.

Buck populations on a given property appear to be so dynamic. One thing that stands out is that the property with the most does where all does get bred, will by December have had the most breeding activity so the bucks will have had to be there at some point. That's just a given; not known however is the ages of the bucks taking care of all those does. With your low pressure strategies Bull, the influx of bucks is just a week to twelve days away.

Back