Do I have a bear ?

They are all around me and I'm expecting them any time now on my property. If it's not a bear what is it ? If it's a dog then it's a very big dog.

Eat a sausage biscuit from McD's and then touch one of your trail cams. You'll know very quickly if you have a bear.

Haha, I'm a sucker for a biscuit on the way to the farm and even hours later and many times, washed hands, if I touch my cams bare handed, I'll find them on the ground the next time I check them. I had 2 on the ground last week:mad:

I hope you guys are wrong about the hog. Surely a hog would show other evidence like rooting in my food plot. I've not seen any of that. I have seen some large rocks turned over though. I know bears will do that looking for grubs.

I hope you guys are wrong about the hog. Surely a hog would show other evidence like rooting in my food plot. I've not seen any of that. I have seen some large rocks turned over though. I know bears will do that looking for grubs.

Yeah as much as I don't like the bears, I'll take them over hogs! My bears like to destump my thinned pines for me looking for grubs or some food. Its the only good thing they do.

Hogs don't root for food all of the time. They'll top feed a good bit. You'd be surprised at how often they don't root; we have three rather large sounders frequenting our land and the rooting sign is miniscule. And by sounders, I mean groups for a whopping total of close to forty swine.

That turd looks like a hog to me as well. Hogs will roll logs over and such too looking for worms, grubs, etc.

Sometimes deer will get really compacted and it will look just like that as well. I have seen it numerous times...It doesn't always look like dark rabbit crap ;)
True, deer eating a diet heavy in fruit like pears or apples will change the consistency of it.

I'm not a bear scat expert but I am a hog turd expert...in my expert opinion you have a hog turd. I know some people would rather have bears than hogs, but at least you can shoot a hog anytime (good target practice) and the sows make good sausage. Bears tear up trees, cameras, feeders, etc. There is not much you can do about bears unless you have a tag and its bear season.

I never would have thought I'd see hogs before bears. I really want a picture of this thing now, whatever it is.

Would it be feasible to have a single hog in an area? This is the only scat I've seen. That picture is a month old, and I've not seen any since.

Back