Do I have a bear ?

Would it be feasible to have a single hog in an area? This is the only scat I've seen. That picture is a month old, and I've not seen any since.

Yes, very likely. He could have escaped from a farm and is alone. He may not even stay. I was in a club for several years that had sporadic and rare hog sightings despite it being in a region known for feral hogs. And our club was loaded with water and food.

If you want him to leave, dont put out corn and a game cam in an effort to find him.

Working for the state I'm more of a BS expert myself....:D Looks like deer to me. I've noticed that type when my plots have new growth. Just assumed it was because they were browsing less woody material. Noticed the same consistency change when I used to run goats.

I never would have thought I'd see hogs before bears. I really want a picture of this thing now, whatever it is.
Problem is I don't think you are going to know what it is when you do get a picture of it because you will be looking for something else...deer...

This is exciting conversation. I don't think I have ever heard so much poop talk in one place before. I too have seen deer poop clumped like that in my area. I have not seen bear poop as we do not have any....yet. I have seen quite a bit of domestic pig poop but no wild hog poop. I would go with the deer poop theory because in my area I know of no other critters that poop that big besides human poop. My instincts tell me it is not human poop though so I think you can mark that off your list of poopers. Jeff good luck with the poop cam I hope something pops out for you.

This is exciting conversation. I don't think I have ever heard so much poop talk in one place before. I too have seen deer poop clumped like that in my area. I have not seen bear poop as we do not have any....yet. I have seen quite a bit of domestic pig poop but no wild hog poop. I would go with the deer poop theory because in my area I know of no other critters that poop that big besides human poop. My instincts tell me it is not human poop though so I think you can mark that off your list of poopers. Jeff good luck with the poop cam I hope something pops out for you.
I dunno Blizzard, my passive aggressive neighbor may be laying one in the field. That would be right up his alley. Wouldn't that be a hoot to get on camera!
Hey I'm starting to think there might just be a market for a poop cam. Infrared technology can surely auto zoom into the "heat zone" up to 70 ft away. You want to know which neighbors dog is laying a fresh one on your lawn every morning ? We have your solution!

For those who guessed hog turd you win. This sow and piglets were seen less than a 1/2 mile from my place last week.
Pardon the lousy picture . It was sent to me from a neighbor. I think he took it through his truck window.
upload_2016-9-26_9-56-19.png

Even though you have some potbelly pets 1/2 mile away I still think you had deer crap...Having hogs in the area does not mean that was hog dung...

Back