Deer University by MSU

This may not show up well but for chuckles I took a photo of a sweetgum sprout and next to it an oak resprout. Granted both of these stumps were cut 2 years ago then flooded this spring. Nonethelessless this is new regen from this yr. The oak had almost every growing point nipped. The sweetgum ..nothing. In all fairness looking around I did find one sweetgum sprout nipped.

On the other subject just mentioned all the beauty berry browsing I see is early fall and only the very end.

IMG_5004.JPG IMG_5003.JPG

6ef6b196ff55f434250c0c165b99764b.jpg

4ba84055e62ea3ed25cb51a0255fd35e.jpg

Stump sprouts get hammered hard on our place. I imagine the mineral content is extraordinary in the small growth produced by the roots of a once 100’+ poplar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great examples of stump browsing and very interesting that none of the sweet gum stump sprouts are browsed. That is what I would assume as well. I've quite a few sweet gum resprouts that I'm gonna cut back to the stump and see if I can detect any browsing. Weekender, to your point on the increased mineral uptake, the analysis conducted by the biologist on the podcast discussed the huge increase in mineral uptake to the new sprouts. A 2 to 3 ft diameter popular that is cut down supposedly pumps the same amount of nutrients from the roots into the stump sprouts that was being pumped in to the tree prior to cutting.

Great examples of stump browsing and very interesting that none of the sweet gum stump sprouts are browsed. That is what I would assume as well. I've quite a few sweet gum resprouts that I'm gonna cut back to the stump and see if I can detect any browsing. Weekender, to your point on the increased mineral uptake, the analysis conducted by the biologist on the podcast discussed the huge increase in mineral uptake to the new sprouts. A 2 to 3 ft diameter popular that is cut down supposedly pumps the same amount of nutrients from the roots into the stump sprouts that was being pumped in to the tree prior to cutting.
I listened Triple. Not gonna lie, I need moving pics to keep me awake. It was very well done. Did #7 on the stump sprouts. I was familiar with the theory of slammed nutrients into the new sprouts from the root system but their numbers were crazy. I've seen heavy browse yearly on stumps and is one reason I quit worrying of actually doing hinges but just cutting, let sprout, and get sunlight in, and open compitition of my mature oaks. I really liked how they alluded to the precolonial forests and how death, storms, fire allowed and understory to develop beneath century old trees. Certainly a misrepresented vision by most of todays teachings of the old forests and I'm glad they touted the reality of them.
They mentioned, and in retrospect I've seen, how deer ignore new sprouts from dirt but devour the stump sprouts. Pretty cool. I was shocked when they said an acre of high protein planting was equivalent to 100 stump cuts. That there is a bunch of trees to get down. I may have work harder. I still prefer to tempt my deer to travel a pattern and keep searching along the Clusters for food and sex as opposed to an abundance in one area. But then they didn't ask me.
Thanks for the tip, I will listen to other ones.

I listened Triple. Not gonna lie, I need moving pics to keep me awake. It was very well done. Did #7 on the stump sprouts. I was familiar with the theory of slammed nutrients into the new sprouts from the root system but their numbers were crazy. I've seen heavy browse yearly on stumps and is one reason I quit worrying of actually doing hinges but just cutting, let sprout, and get sunlight in, and open compitition of my mature oaks. I really liked how they alluded to the precolonial forests and how death, storms, fire allowed and understory to develop beneath century old trees. Certainly a misrepresented vision by most of todays teachings of the old forests and I'm glad they touted the reality of them.
They mentioned, and in retrospect I've seen, how deer ignore new sprouts from dirt but devour the stump sprouts. Pretty cool. I was shocked when they said an acre of high protein planting was equivalent to 100 stump cuts. That there is a bunch of trees to get down. I may have work harder. I still prefer to tempt my deer to travel a pattern and keep searching along the Clusters for food and sex as opposed to an abundance in one area. But then they didn't ask me.
Thanks for the tip, I will listen to other ones.
Glad you listened. I listened to "Bow Range Burnin' today and thought of Geo in IA. Eye opening for me to think about burning such small areas. As for the mineral stumps...I've yet to see a sweet gum stump sprout browsed on my place but I don't doubt their documentation of such. But then again...I've never looked for sweet gum browsing as I assumed they didn't touch them. Pretty cool to feel like one can still learn at our ripe age. :D

Back