Deer University by MSU

Triple C

Any of you guys listening to this podcast series - 'Deer University' hosted by Dr Strickland and Dr Demarais from Mississippi State University? I discovered it a few weeks ago and have been listening to episodes as I travel. I really like it and think you will too.

Of particular interest is episode 7 and episode 30. Episode 7 is a discussion of mineral stumps and their use by deer. Basically, a hardwood tree cut down in the summer and left to stump sprout and the documented use by deer on these stump sprouts along with the substantial increase in nutrients supplied by the new sprouts as compared to regular hardwood seedlings. I particularly found it interesting that the hated sweet gum, when cut and left to sprout, became a preferred browse of deer.

Episode 30 is a study of free ranging GPS collared bucks and their primary movement during the rut focusing on the most often used habitat type of mature bucks during the rut. The study covered the pre-rut, rut and post-rut activity of these collared bucks. What I found most interesting was the type of habitat they spent most of their time in during the rut and the areas they repeatedly visited during a 24 hr period. It wasn't around food plots as I thought it would be. It was bottom land hardwoods with ample cover. Brooks loves hunting on the edge of what we define as our sanctuary, which is a 35 acre section of hardwood bottoms interspersed with beaver sloughs. He says it's a parade in the back of the swamp. I thought of Okie Kubota who loves hunting the big hardwoods and this study proves him right.

Both episodes are worth a listen. In fact, I've learned from all the episodes. These two were eye-opening to me. Great podcast! If you listen to these I'd appreciate sharing your thoughts on here.

I've listened to several and found them to be some of the best presented research around.
Baker - Have you ever observed deer foraging on stump sprouts on your farms as indicated in podcast 7? I always assumed a deer never touched a sweet gum leaf, but according to the data presented, stump sprouts from cut hardwood trees, and particularly sweet gums, are a magnet for deer as they upload a substantial increase of nutrients to the leaves due the the massive root structure of the cut tree.

I've observed deer browsing hardwood stump cuts on my place. I don't have sweet gum but I've summer stump cut other trees with success.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

... I don't have sweet gum....

Be thankful !!!!!! I was just out yesterday looking at the farm & was supposed to be moving stands but my partner skipped out. Sweetgums are notorious for stump sprouting & usually twice as thick as before. What was nice rye & clover plots in May is now knee/waist high sweetgum sprouts..

Be thankful !!!!!! I was just out yesterday looking at the farm & was supposed to be moving stands but my partner skipped out. Sweetgums are notorious for stump sprouting & usually twice as thick as before. What was nice rye & clover plots in May is now knee/waist high sweetgum sprouts..
Sounds like a mess!

The study on antler size & how it relates to does choosing mates was also interesting.. There is another podcast "Hunt The Land", with a MSU wildlife student & also an wildlife student from Auburn. Covering southeast habitat management & hunting.

I'd freely and gladly give up any benefit I may receive from sprouts to be rid of sweet gums. The podcast wasn't about sweet gums but the nutritional benefit and increased browsing of all hardwood stump sprouts when done in the early to mid summer. I just found it quite surprising at their trail cam documentation of deer eating the sweet gum stump sprouts since I assumed deer never browsed sweet gum leaves.

Baker - Have you ever observed deer foraging on stump sprouts on your farms as indicated in podcast 7? I always assumed a deer never touched a sweet gum leaf, but according to the data presented, stump sprouts from cut hardwood trees, and particularly sweet gums, are a magnet for deer as they upload a substantial increase of nutrients to the leaves due the the massive root structure of the cut tree.
I thin timber every year and a land manager and I had this very conversation a couple years ago. So I went out looking at year old stumps. I didn't see a single sweet gum stump with sprouts browsed. I did see numerous oak stump sprouts browsed. Took a few pics of side by side stumps. oaks browsed but not sweetgum. I'll see if I can dig them up.

I’ve never documented sweet gum sprouts being browsed, but I was surprised to see a young buck eating the yellow/red leaves on a sweet gum sapling a few years ago. He did not eat any of the green ones. I observed this from about 30 yards away so it wasn’t any mistake. Makes me wonder if they get “sweeter” when they turn colors sort of like brassicas ?

Nor have I ever noticed any browse of sweet gum stump sprouts. Reason I found this episode so interesting.

You mean like this?? Took pic few days ago. I have these thruout Farm in my Clusters. Depends on time of year as to whether they hit them much.
Thanks for posting podcast. I’ll try to listen but I admit I can read anything scientific ad naseum but podcasts put me to sleep. How about this. Why don’t you go in detail on here of a in dept summary and I would be much appreciative. Thanks

89f92ffd9174a5240b22cb797976f12d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've listened to all their podcasts, wish they would release more but they have real jobs. I'd say of the current list, "bow range burning" and the mineral stump episodes are my favorite. Always excellent educational topics; my favorite podcast by far.

Haven't listened to "bow range burning" yet but will in the next few days. The mineral stump episode caught me off guard. Never considered the amount of minerals that are pumped into the new growth from the root structure below ground.

You mean like this?? Took pic few days ago. I have these thruout Farm in my Clusters. Depends on time of year as to whether they hit them much.
Thanks for posting podcast. I’ll try to listen but I admit I can read anything scientific ad naseum but podcasts put me to sleep. How about this. Why don’t you go in detail on here of a in dept summary and I would be much appreciative. Thanks

89f92ffd9174a5240b22cb797976f12d.jpg

You hit hit the nail on the head with that pic. Don't think I can explain it as well as the podcast. You just gonna have to listen to it but I promise you won't quit once you start. Goes into all kind of analytical data and camera surveys on these stump sprouts regarding the amount of nutrients released from a fallen tree as the root system below keeps pumping the same amount of nutrients into the small amount of stump growth as the former full grown canopied tree. I expect you to listen and report back tomorrow. You gonna like your random clusters even better after listening to episode 7.

dogghr...expand post above as I replied inside your quote.
I already get cussed by my lady pointing out plants as we drive down the highway and cussing farmers not doing crop rotations and mismanagement of moisture control. A podcast? She gonna be mad.

Yeah, I’ve listened to it as well. The sweet gum browsing stumped me too (no pun intended). I’ve never seen it myself, but I’ve definitely seen it on red maple, oaks, and american holly. They’ll wear out a red maple around here, will browse it down to the stump over and over. Guess it just further proves that it depends on location and the tastes of the local deer herd.

Kinda like American beautyberry being browsed, never seen evidence of it browsed around here and I’ve got it everywhere. But others have it browsed all the time.

Back