Build a doe factory to create a buck factory

BenAllgood

Below is a link to Interesting new research by Dr. Johnson at UGA that shows evidence that creating a doe factory IS what you want to do in order to have more bucks. The study took place from September through December on 3 different properties. In September, the does and bucks used different parts of the property for the most part. Then, in October through December, they were in the same places. The does didn't really move. The bucks moved to the doe areas.

Exactly! I always thought the "doe factory" concept was bunk. It seems pretty obvious that you need both sanctuary and actively managed ground in any management plan. I always found the idea that you hurt hunting by creating a "doe factory" was laughable.

Below is a link to Interesting new research by Dr. Johnson at UGA that shows evidence that creating a doe factory IS what you want to do in order to have more bucks. The study took place from September through December on 3 different properties. In September, the does and bucks used different parts of the property for the most part. Then, in October through December, they were in the same places. The does didn't really move. The bucks moved to the doe areas.

Ben, I’ve been running at least 14 cameras 365 days a year for over a decade, and what you said is exactly what I have seen every year. The only difference is that the tide turns here just a few days before October. Some of the best places to shoot a buck in hunting season won’t even have a single one on cameras between February and mid September - not a single one.

In my area, hunting pressure is such a dominant factor in terms of daytime pictures, it swamps out most other factors. During the peak chase phase, we can see bucks anywhere. Outside that period, I look for pockets of undisturbed area in and near these "doe factory" areas.

Ben, I’ve been running at least 14 cameras 365 days a year for over a decade, and what you said is exactly what I have seen every year. The only difference is that the tide turns here just a few days before October. Some of the best places to shoot a buck in hunting season won’t even have a single one on cameras between February and mid September - not a single one.

Guess I have hope in 2023 after all

It’s hit or miss with summer bucks on our place. Always plenty of does though and the boys seem to show up in force in November even if they were absent all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have more bucks than does on camera during the summer. Then when hunting season starts half of them I won’t ever see. Other bucks will come in from time to time but the window will be short. My theory is that the dominant buck in the area keeps the others at bay somewhat. 07270037.jpeg07270038.jpeg07290073.jpeg

I guess that first we'd have to define "doe factory". I have observed what I call a real "doe factory" and my version is not something that anyone wants to create. We hunted a large private farm adjacent to state game lands for a five plus years time period in the early 2000's, often seeing upwards of 40 plus deer in an evening, and 85-95% of the deer were antlerless. Once we went deer shining with a spot light and saw 300 deer in close proximity of this farm, and, as I recall, all but 5 or 10 were antlerless. We kept going back year after year, shooting a lot of does, but a flood of more does would always come, with a few small bucks mixed in. We always had expectations that big bucks would show up, but they never did. High poaching rates, and heavily hunted state land seemed to keep the bucks at a bare minimum all the time, with way too many does for the hunters to make a difference, even if they all took two. It was a real doe factory.

I guess that first we'd have to define "doe factory". I have observed what I call a real "doe factory" and my version is not something that anyone wants to create. We hunted a large private farm adjacent to state game lands for a five plus years time period in the early 2000's, often seeing upwards of 40 plus deer in an evening, and 85-95% of the deer were antlerless. Once we went deer shining with a spot light and saw 300 deer in close proximity of this farm, and, as I recall, all but 5 or 10 were antlerless. We kept going back year after year, shooting a lot of does, but a flood of more does would always come, with a few small bucks mixed in. We always had expectations that big bucks would show up, but they never did. High poaching rates, and heavily hunted state land seemed to keep the bucks at a bare minimum all the time, with way too many does for the hunters to make a difference, even if they all took two. It was a real doe factory.
That was the definition of PA when I was growing up. It was not a "doe factory". It was a "deer factory". With a million hunters and only bucks were legal, populations exploded. IF you don't shoot does and folks shoot anything with antlers because it is all that is legal, you create an imbalance in the population. This was simply bad management.

The "doe factory" concept being touted by some "experts" is that sound deer habitat management practices attracts does and the presence of does reduces buck usage. "Doe Factory" is more of a method for an "expert" to differentiate himself from others than an evidence backed management theory.

It is absolutely true that poor harvest objectives (through regulations or choice) can create an imbalanced sex ratio.

That was the definition of PA when I was growing up. It was not a "doe factory". It was a "deer factory". With a million hunters and only bucks were legal, populations exploded. IF you don't shoot does and folks shoot anything with antlers because it is all that is legal, you create an imbalance in the population. This was simply bad management.

The "doe factory" concept being touted by some "experts" is that sound deer habitat management practices attracts does and the presence of does reduces buck usage. "Doe Factory" is more of a method for an "expert" to differentiate himself from others than an evidence backed management theory.

It is absolutely true that poor harvest objectives (through regulations or choice) can create an imbalanced sex ratio.
You are correct, a "doe factory" is always the result of poor harvest objectives, but with just a little bit of consideration, the underlying knowhow to balancing a deer herd is not that difficult, and really only involves two main areas. The first and biggest factor in harvest objectives is to simply take one doe for every buck harvested (adjusting at the start to obtain balance), and the second factor is then taking the correct amount of deer to hold the population at levels that a property can sustain. While actually making the harvests happen to the numbers in the real world is the more difficult part, the target harvest goals should be pretty simple for most hunters to figure out.

It's interesting to use math and statistics to take a look at deer population numbers and the buck/doe ratio of any given deer herd, and here's a simple breakdown of the math; Let's start with the premise that, for statistical purposes, the reproduction rate and the non-hunting fatality rates are averaged equally between bucks and does:
Example #1: Starting with a theoretical exactly balanced herd, and hunters always take one doe for every buck they harvest, the herd buck/doe ratio remains balanced, and there will always be the same amount of bucks as does.
Example #2: Starting with a herd with 20% more bucks than does, hunters continue to always take one doe for every buck they harvest, the herd always remains 20% more bucks than does.
Example #3: Starting with a herd with 20% more does than bucks, and hunters continue to always take one doe for every buck they harvest, the herd always remains 20% more does than bucks.
This shows a simple equation; if hunters always take one doe for every buck it freezes the buck/doe ratio. Now we still have to deal with herd size, and that equation is just as simple:
Example #4: Continuing with hunters always taking one doe for every buck they harvest, if hunters (and natural fatalities) harvest the same number of does per year as there are does in the herd, the deer population remains balanced.
Example #5: Continuing with hunters always taking one doe for every buck they harvest, if hunters (and natural fatalities) harvest more does per year than there are does in the herd, the deer population will collapse.
Example #6: Continuing with hunters always taking one doe for every buck they harvest, if hunters (and natural fatalities) harvest less does per year than there are does in the herd, the deer population explodes.

I made an Excel speadsheet with 10 bucks, 10 does, and 10 hunters, and this hypothetical herd will balance forever. Add or subtract 1 doe or 1 hunter and the herd is off by 1000 in ten years. Add or subtract 1 buck and the herd is off by 1 buck in ten years. Interesting! This simple breakdown gives any hunter the answers they need to manage their herd. And if a property is harvesting more bucks than does they are well on the way toward that mythical "doe factory" that may or may not exist :) Allen

Last edited:
You are correct, a "doe factory" is always the result of poor harvest objectives, but with just a little bit of consideration, the underlying knowhow to balancing a deer herd is not that difficult, and really only involves two main areas. The first and biggest factor in harvest objectives is to simply take one doe for every buck harvested (adjusting at the start to obtain balance), and the second factor is then taking the correct amount of deer to hold the population at levels that a property can sustain. While actually making the harvests happen to the numbers in the real world is the more difficult part, the target harvest goals should be pretty simple for most hunters to figure out.

It's interesting to use math and statistics to take a look at deer population numbers and the buck/doe ratio of any given deer herd, and here's a simple breakdown of the math; Let's start with the premise that, for statistical purposes, the reproduction rate and the non-hunting fatality rates are averaged equally between bucks and does:
Example #1: Starting with a theoretical exactly balanced herd, and hunters always take one doe for every buck they harvest, the herd buck/doe ratio remains balanced, and there will always be the same amount of bucks as does.
Example #2: Starting with a herd with 20% more bucks than does, hunters continue to always take one doe for every buck they harvest, the herd always remains 20% more bucks than does.
Example #3: Starting with a herd with 20% more does than bucks, and hunters continue to always take one doe for every buck they harvest, the herd always remains 20% more does than bucks.
This shows a simple equation; if hunters always take one doe for every buck it freezes the buck/doe ratio. Now we still have to deal with herd size, and that equation is just as simple:
Example #4: Continuing with hunters always taking one doe for every buck they harvest, if hunters (and natural fatalities) harvest the same number of does per year as there are does in the herd, the deer population remains balanced.
Example #5: Continuing with hunters always taking one doe for every buck they harvest, if hunters (and natural fatalities) harvest more does per year than there are does in the herd, the deer population will collapse.
Example #6: Continuing with hunters always taking one doe for every buck they harvest, if hunters (and natural fatalities) harvest less does per year than there are does in the herd, the deer population explodes.

I made an Excel speadsheet with 10 bucks, 10 does, and 10 hunters, and this hypothetical herd will balance forever. Add or subtract 1 doe or 1 hunter and the herd is off by 1000 in ten years. Add or subtract 1 buck and the herd is off by 1 buck in ten years. Interesting! This simple breakdown gives any hunter the answers they need to manage their herd. And if a property is harvesting more bucks than does they are well on the way toward that mythical "doe factory" that may or may not exist :) Allen
The only thing I would add is that politics and outreach are the keys for a large scale. When we manage individual properties, unless fortunate enough to have thousands of acres, we are fighting the rip tide of public policy and game laws. When I was growing up in PA, the game laws were almost completely driven by hunter desires, not science. I was pleasantly shocked when I moved to VA. Their game department was very progressive and while hunter desires and politics are always factors, they seemed to weigh science very strongly. When the state is executing a good, science based, management plan, it makes private management on smaller properties (say 1,000 acres or a bit less) much easier. They also tend to provide private land owners programs and tools to help with management.

After I had been in VA for many years, the guy who was the bear biologist when I lived in PA, took over the deer program. He tried to bring PA into the 20th century and received death threats as a reward.

And now the bucks are spectacular in Pa., compared to 20 years ago. The man new what he was doing and the people where shocked at how many does were taken to balance the herd. I must have crs as i cannot remember his name, which I thought I would never forget. Gary olt may be or not. He also did the best bear management program i have ever seen. This man was and is a true conservationist of our generation, we are blessed to have him in our area…

And now the bucks are spectacular in Pa., compared to 20 years ago. The man new what he was doing and the people where shocked at how many does were taken to balance the herd. I must have crs as i cannot remember his name, which I thought I would never forget. Gary olt may be or not. He also did the best bear management program i have ever seen. This man was and is a true conservationist of our generation, we are blessed to have him in our area…
I found him rather arrogant and unprofessional. At a public meeting he actually made the statement that if you put Pennsylvania hunters in a room packed full of deer they would miss all the deer and shoot out all the windows. I understand that he was frustrated by the amount of pushback to his programs, by an educated person should be able to rise above that. I think he had a good plan, but tried to implement it way too fast, dividing and alienating a lot of hunters. He sure succeeded in getting quite a few of my friends and acquaintances to quit hunting. Dr. Gary Alt's deer management plan was responsible for more people quitting hunting in PA than any other factor that I ever read about. Around here there were people quitting hunting by the droves, most of those that I knew personally never took it up again, instead they picked up new hobbies. That the success rate of our hunting improved drastically is due mostly to less hunters being in the woods.

I found him rather arrogant and unprofessional. At a public meeting he actually made the statement that if you put Pennsylvania hunters in a room packed full of deer they would miss all the deer and shoot out all the windows. I understand that he was frustrated by the amount of pushback to his programs, by an educated person should be able to rise above that. I think he had a good plan, but tried to implement it way too fast, dividing and alienating a lot of hunters. He sure succeeded in getting quite a few of my friends and acquaintances to quit hunting. Dr. Gary Alt's deer management plan was responsible for more people quitting hunting in PA than any other factor that I ever read about. Around here there were people quitting hunting by the droves, most of those that I knew personally never took it up again, instead they picked up new hobbies. That the success rate of our hunting improved drastically is due mostly to less hunters being in the woods.
While that statement is clearly hyperbole and, as you say, comes from frustration, I think there is a lot of underlying truth in it. When I grew up in PA, deer hunting was as much a rite of passage into manhood as it was a recreational activity. They eventually made opening day a school holiday because all of the boys and male teachers would be "sick" that day. There was lots of peer pressure to hunt, and shooting a buck was proof of your manhood. Many 12 year old boys would suffer freezing temperatures, shivering to death and seeing nothing but a running deer. Reckless shots at running deer were not uncommon as the million man orange army entered the woods. While I really enjoyed squirrel and small game hunting with my dad in the beautiful weather of fall, while I never voiced it, I dreaded those freezing days treading into the woods before light. As soon as the opportunity arose, athletics became a socially acceptable excuse for both me and many friends to skip most deer hunting. It wasn't until college years that I picked it back up. Finally, a lucky success when I was almost run over by a buck, got me hooked. As much from the positive social feedback as from the harvest itself.

I would contend that the social pressure of hunting kept many in the sport as much as enjoyment. I wonder how many found Gary Alt's regulation changes an acceptable excuse to quit hunting. I'm not even convinced that the impact you saw anecdotally was a real trend. All states have seen a decline in license sales over the years as social values and demographics have changed and attrition has taken many hunters. Regulation changes that liberalize doe harvest, actually increase recreational opportunity, unless of course, harvesting a doe does not have the same positive social feedback as shooting a buck.

Every biologist that works for any wildlife agency will tell you that managing deer (or any species) is much easier than managing hunters. From a political/hunter perspective, you are absolutely correct that he implemented a good plan much faster than hunters could accept. From a biological perspective, the plan was implemented way to late and way too slowly.

While hunter attrition has has a positive impact on success rates in many states, PA included, I would contend a much bigger factor is the fact that it is becoming more socially acceptable to shoot a doe in PA than ever before and that the new regulations have created that opportunity. At the same time, restrictions on shooting young bucks, has increased the success (in terms of antler size) for those who still define success as harvesting a buck.

That is my perspective anyway. :) I still have friends and family in PA that were very critical of Dr. Alt and his management plan at the time who now, in hindsight, are much less critical given today's deer resource in PA.

My personal experience was about the opposite of yours yoder, of course not talking about Pennsylvania because, like Will Rogers, all I know is what I read about that.

For me, hunting and fishing was the best reason ever to not get into athletics. 😁
I loved hitting the woods before daylight to squirrel or duck hunt in sub freezing temps. In Texas, that’s 31* though !😂😂😂

My personal experience was about the opposite of yours yoder, of course not talking about Pennsylvania because, like Will Rogers, all I know is what I read about that.

For me, hunting and fishing was the best reason ever to not get into athletics. 😁
I loved hitting the woods before daylight to squirrel or duck hunt in sub freezing temps. In Texas, that’s 31* though !😂😂😂
Fishing was my passion when I was young. I didn't have to wait till I was 12 to do it. Lots of action! My dad would drop me off at a pond on a tree farm that was overpopulated with bluegill. When he picked me up I'd have a Styrofoam cooler filled with them. He and my mom would be up till midnight filleting them with me. As I got older, I fell in love with fly fishing. I went to PSU. You can't drive 20 minutes in any direction without crossing one of the top trout streams in the east. When I moved to VA, I tried warm water fishing for bass. Even got a bass boat and a house with water access to the Potomac river. I just couldn't get into it. That is when my focus on spring gobbler kicked in.

The doe factory standoff is over. They decided to kiss and make up. The buck became a social media influencer and fell in love with the fawn who was a community organizer and social justice warrior, and they all lived happily ever after.

tr1-IMG_0239.JPG

Back