DCO Growers?

Took some pics this morning.
The first is of a known DCO from Turkey Creek.
2293f3ec7046af517184073373697313.jpg

These are large trees on our place. Some are 30ft tall with a trunk as big around as you wast.
33a8774a4ef60d21621b774ad0f9d600.jpg
5c0f45544bfbf8c20bbcc32e028ca02f.jpg

These are small trees/shrubs on the place that are producing. Head height or shorter.
624c7b42de6a29d56679f029a1706ce3.jpg

cea9069147b6b7eb2986fb49eb0852a7.jpg

This one is maybe 3ft tall and is no bigger around than a pencil. Is has a couple acorns on it.
b232a130265a9929a98d43fcb2af48d9.jpg

I've always assumed they were all native chinqs. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Okay, Tommy. Here we are: Troy and Sabine (aka Blitz)
(Sabine does the forum postings, Troy gives the info to put on. hahahaha...)

wpdeer/Wayne, you are on my list for 2016. I haven't forgotten you. (our email: dconebraska@gmail.com)

I saved a lot of the info from the qdma forum ("How to grow dwarf chinkapin oaks from seed), so hopefully, I'll be able to post it here sometime this weekend.

Awesome. Glad y'all are here!

I've found that DCO's really like that Plantra Bush Tube. It seems to have helped the growth and protects them well.

I've found that DCO's really like that Plantra Bush Tube. It seems to have helped the growth and protects them well.
I did a search for their "bush tube", is it called something else? I'm curious about it and how it's different than a regular tube.

If you guys go back and look at my pics you'll notice that the acorns on all of the bigger trees are lesser developed than the acorns on the smaller trees/bushes. Could this be a clue that I have DCO's and Chinquapins? Or can there be that much variation within the same species? I really can't see any differences in the trees that I have in leaf pattern and bark, except that some are bigger than others and now I've noticed that all of the bigger trees are behind the smaller one's on acorn development.

DCO planted Bare Root from the Wildlife Group in December of 2014. Today I inspected and each that I inspected has burs.

The burs appear to be healthy. I am excited - I believe I will get some nuts to grow some seedlings from. Now that would be great.

Probably going to collect from 8 trees. Took one photo. They are caged with 5 ft wire to keep the deer off of them.

DCO with Burs Aug 21, 2016.jpg

Is it normal for a DCO to have a bur? I am concerned I was sold the wrong plant? Please advise.

Last edited:
I have a great row of Chinese Chestnuts planted in a bottom field. The soil is the best on the farm. I planted 10 Chinese Sequins offset to the west of the Chinese Chestnut row. I planted these Sequins bare root in December 2015. I was retired and it was a cold day that it felt good to get warmed up and work.

I am going to have some burs with nuts. I worked on a weedeater releasing these trees and sequins today. I am very excited to get nuts in less than 12 months. I have them in tubes with mesh tubes over them. I will put a wire cage on these later this week.

Got a photo of one - got too hot to take many photos today.
Chinese Sequins with Burs Aug 21, 2016.jpg

Last edited:
DCO planted Bare Root from the Wildlife Group in December of 2014. Today I inspected and each that I inspected has burs.

The burs appear to be healthy. I am excited - I believe I will get some nuts to grow some seedlings from. Now that would be great.

Probably going to collect from 8 trees. Took one photo. They are caged with 5 ft wire to keep the deer off of them.

View attachment 2346

Is it normal for a DCO to have a bur? I am concerned I was sold the wrong plant? Please advise.
THAT IS NOT A DCO! It's a chestnut or chinkapin of some sort, possibly a Sequin? Obviously something got mixed up at the nursery, which is easy to do with bare root seedlings.

Turkey Creek & Brush

I ran the weedeater until it was hot and I was past hot. I took the pictures real fast. Heck I even posted the DCO post and then I realized Burs don't belong there. I went back and edited the post to add the red font.

So would a chestnut planted in Dec 2014 put on burs that fast? The leaves on one of the DCO looks like a Chinese Chestnut to me.

I have three of those mistakes in a triangle next to a shooting house. They will get too tall for the location.

So would you think the entire bundle of ten would be wrong or part of that bundle be wrong.

This makes me angry.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate each of you.

At least my sequins are doing good. They are located where they will always get pollenated.

Back to the DCO mistakes - I purchased a new roll of wire to protect them perfectly when they were planted. I was so optimistic. I do remember thinking those bare root sure were tall compared to what I had read about DCO being slow growers. Ha Ha the joke is on me.

Turkey Creek & Brush

I ran the weedeater until it was hot and I was past hot. I took the pictures real fast. Heck I even posted the DCO post and then I realized Burs don't belong there. I went back and edited the post to add the red font.

So would a chestnut planted in Dec 2014 put on burs that fast? The leaves on one of the DCO looks like a Chinese Chestnut to me.

I have three of those mistakes in a triangle next to a shooting house. They will get too tall for the location.

So would you think the entire bundle of ten would be wrong or part of that bundle be wrong.

This makes me angry.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate each of you.
I've had one tree in a bundle be wrong, but your entire bundle could be wrong. Allegheny Chinkapin have narrow leaves, so it's either a Chinese Chestnut or a Sequin. Sequin have large leaves like a Chinese Chestnut. On the bright side, maybe it an AU Chestnut. :)

You'll know what it is in about 2 months when the burs open, please keep us posted.

Back