DCO Growers?

I worked for over 3 hours releasing trees in a bottom field this morning. I believe my bundle of ten bare root seedlings were a few DCO and mostly Allegheny Chinkapin. I check 5 of them and I believe of those five - 2 DCO and 3 AC. The AC are the ones with the burs. That is good enough.

Now how tall will AC get in a field setting where sunlight is plentiful?

Thanks for reading this post.

What am I missing here? No change in these in over a month. This pic is from this weekend.

What am I missing here? No change in these in over a month. This pic is from this weekend.

Mine did the same thing this year. Mine are young and have never produced acorns yet. I assumed mine did not get fertilized (as in by a male flower) Blitz seemed to think that was likely as well as I never saw the male flowers on my oaks this year.

Do you have other DCOs close by that are producing "normal" acorns? Other white oaks close? If so you would think they would be pollenized. I am not oak expert but assumed with all the hybrid oaks that pollenization would occur fairly easily. I dont have any other oaks close to my DCOs.

I've been putting in the numbers and here is what two dco's produced and I picked most all the acorns for sure since they had not started dropping yet.

That's with the caps so more like 1.5bs total for both trees at the most. That's 2000 trees for 1500 lbs of acorns.....neat trees to have no doubt. Just not sure how viable they r from the standpoint of providing hard mast on a large scale.

9e38be02aadb696d252212deea9b3c61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Do you have other DCOs close by that are producing "normal" acorns? Other white oaks close? If so you would think they would be pollenized. I am not oak expert but assumed with all the hybrid oaks that pollenization would occur fairly easily. I dont have any other oaks close to my DCOs.

This is the only DCO I have. Within 50-75 yards of plenty of other oaks. Has a few Concordia oaks growing all around it but they are only a couple of years old. Maybe next year.

My dco's are blooming again this year. This tree made about 25 acorns last year, of which I have about 15 seedlings coming up from. This picture is from this morning. This tree is four years old.Front DCO blooming 4-15-19.JPG

mine did the same this past fall ,2018

i planted them bare root 12/14

I planted 100 bare root again this past december (18)

bill

I have the 6 acorns I got off my trees in pots in a cage in the back yard. Hopefully I will be adding to my DCO population this fall.

Back