dbltree's hing cutting thread

Black Locust

Honey Locust

Silver Maple Maples are an extremely invasive shade tolerant tree with little value to most landowners managing for whitetails.

Sugar Maple

Shingle Oak Common and very invasive in my area, shingle oaks produce plentiful mast but have almost no value as timber. I don't attempt to eradicate them but do commnly hinge them to encourage better quality oaks and utilize the thick dense brushy tops for bedding and blocking.

The leaves look nothing like either white or red oak species and the upper branches are often covered with black galls not found in other oaks. Shingle oaks commonly hold their leaves nearly all winter making them easy to identify.

There are several train's of thought on creating individual beds for deer that include "tying" trees down to create over head cover, attempting to create "buck" and "doe" beds. The controversy often leads to arguments and name bashing which is completely counterproductive to helping others learn how to enhance their habitat.

That being said I base what I share on factual observations back up by pictures that allow landowners to see how deer react to various habitat enhancements such as hinge cutting. I find first of all that large, thick sanctuaries where deer are unmolested tend to hold the most deer and mature whitetail bucks seek out that type of environment.

I am able, very easily to create "overhead" cover without tying, just by hinging trees that often come to rest on adjacent trees such as this situation.

Suffice it to say that after years of hinging trees I have inadvertently created all types of "overhead' cover from 3-4' to 10-15' above the ground but thus far I have not found deer using those types of situations.

What I do find is that deer prefer a slight rise or a ridge where they can lay "behind" a hinge cut tree and see danger approach from below. When that hinged area either grows up to some light brush or has some already, the area will quickly be covered with fresh beds.

The following pics are recent hinging projects, some only days old and while a little hard to see, all have beds located a few feet to 20 yards behind the hinged trees.

I have found no beds using overhead cover as of yet with the exception of live cedar trees or large shrubs where they often lay in front of or barely under an overhanging branch using the tree as a backdrop.

In the hinged areas though, they tend to be bedded out in the open preferring to peer under the hinged trees for some distance back.

Each landowner should be willing to try different things but the focus should be on creating large, thick, safe areas of cover versus attempting to create and individual bed.

Observe whitetails habits in your area, don't place all the chips on any one persons advice, take lots of great ideas, do some experimenting and then find out what really works and what doesn't....then share it with others to help them enhance their own whitetail habitat....
icon_e_wink.gif

I helped a friend hinge some trees last week...

Mostly bitternut and shagbark hickory, elm and ironwood

There were sporadic red, burr and white oaks through out the area so hinging will not only encourage new browse but give seedling oaks a chance to survive in the now open canopy.

We moved up on another ridge where there were plenty of natural beds, all using any type of downfall or smll bush for a backdrop and then facing south on the southern side of the ridge.

Observing natural bedding helps us learn more about whitetail bedding habits and gives us clues on where to perpetuate new, better cover.

You can see here how open the timber is and some of our hinge cuts around the current beds.

We have a lot to do yet but we got a decent start at thickening up this ridge

TSI had already been done in this timber but while it release some crop trees, TSI alone did little to encourage new bedding.

We girdled some huge locust trees that were not safe to attempt to cut but otherwise hinged all smaller trees...gonna make a huge difference in helping him hold whitetails on his property...
icon_cool.gif
icon_e_ugeek.gif

what height is optimal?

I'm not sure I have an answer to that and it's something we need to observe over the next few years and see if there is indeed and optimum height that deer seem to prefer ot if it really isn't important? So far I find deer tend to lay where they can see under the hinged tree or with it to their backs but with enough people sharing observations perhaps we'll have a better idea in the future.

Observation is how we learn and this is the time of year to be out there observing and learning about whitetail habitat. Where DO they bed and why? Individual beds may or may not have been used by a buck but overall hiking our land can yield clues and ideas to what they will and will not utilize for bedding.

Another thing to note is that if deer are unmolested then they may not require as thick of habitat as those that endure constant harassment and those type of things vary widely among landowners.

The following are more pictures of recent beds on my own land and many are in semi-open areas, all on south or east facing ridges. All with cover at their back, sun warming them and not necessarily an extremely thick type of habitat but rather they are infrequently bothered by anyone.

These deer did have thicker cover available and almost always chose some brushy type cover around them verus wide open timber but topography plays a huge part in where they choose to bed.

Screening cover around the timber, around the entire property then becomes extremely important so that deer feel safe and comfortable within the their "fortress" so to speak.

Enjoy a late winter hike on a sunny day and find out what habitat is being used or unused and why? If they are not bedding on your land are they coming there to feed and returning to a neighboring bedding area...is so what is different.

Use Google Earth or some such to "see" what the neighbors have that you don't and sometimes it may just be a larger more protective atmosphere with the same habitat....
icon_e_wink.gif

If you've been raking leaves out of deer beds and tying trees over and you find that it has worked to help you both hold and harvest mature bucks, then you sure ought to keep doing it.

Too many folks have tried it an been deeply dissapointed however so I continue to share what has worked for us and that's a combination of hinging large areas and using conifer plantings to provide screens and safe bedding.

These trees have been hinged for several years now and reveal how much "brush" or cover they create in time!

Eventually it all turns into a mass of brushy cover where deer feel safe

This pic shows the heavy browsing that also takes place...yet another advantage of hinging.

The edge feathering not only funnels deer but eventually creates a thick screen of brush and browse.

I've posted many TC pics of the kind of bucks that live in these "jungles" with no "leaf raking" required but they also leave other evidence...

Do what you feel is best in your situation to achieve your goals but most of you will find that spending more time with a chainsaw then a rake will yield better results...
icon_e_wink.gif

Might be late spring but not to late to do some hingin'!
icon_e_geek.gif

Did some edge feathering to do some trail blocking and funneling, tipped em over into the field

The used the tractor and loader to swing them around

Creating a "fence like" effect

but a funneling effect at the desired opening

Blocked off some other runways and created screening at the same time by tipping over some large trees

Interplanted oak seedlings amongst trees I hinged earlier in the winter

Using the downed tops as a means of protecting the trees from marauding bucks in the fall

Easy to see the runways now blocked

The little hiding spots the hinged trees created

and the tangled mess of tops that now provide browse, bedding and screening cover

Spend a few minutes with the chainsaw every chance you get and vastly improve your chances of holding mature whitetails on your property...
icon_e_wink.gif

I have relied on the following professionals, some for as long as 15 years, to advise me on timber management and I contact them frequently when I have questions or need advice. I urge everyone to seek out professional advice to get help in identifying tree species and enhancing your timber, however keep in mind that almost to a person, timber managment professionals will frown on "hinging" and are unlikely to give advice on that subject.

Thier advice however is imperative before cutting trees and encouraging oak regeneration so walk your property with them before getting out the chainsaw.

Aaron Lumley, forestry supervisor for the Iowa DNR aaron.lumley@dnr.iowa.gov

Ray Lehn District Forester ray.lehn@dnr.iowa.gov

Paul Tauke, Bureau Chief and State Forester paul.tauke@dnr.iowa.gov

Gregg Pattison USFWS - Iowa Private Lands Office Gregg_Pattison@fws.gov

Is it possible to encourage oak regeneration by hinging trees?

Absolutely! I have been hinging trees for many years now and doing so has had a positive effect on oak regeneration!

The following are recent pictures of white and black oaks seedlings and saplings not only surviving but thriving in my hingecuts where before...non existed.

The young white oaks show up well this time of year with their reddish colored leaves

Black oak seedling

They exist in varying stages of growth because my hinge cutting efforts have been ongoing

They quickly grow up thru the hinged tops, protected from marauding hormone charged bucks

Can fire have a positive influence on oak regeneration?

Absoutely! I personally do not have years of experience burning in timber to verify this but the professionals I trust have. The Southern Iowa Oak Alliance, the USFWS and IDNR Forestry Dept. have been involved in doing timber burns for many years and they have found that there are few situations where fire would not have a positive effect on oak regeneration.

Oaks tend to be fire tolerant while many other shade tolerant species are not so even in hinge cut areas these professionals have encouraged me to burn and to pass that information on through these forums.

In my hinge cuts red cedars pop up everywhere and in some stituations that may be desired but if not fire can keep them from invading.

I personally do not advocate hinging oaks other then shingle oaks but it is important to remember that oak wilt is a problem in our area and cutting red oaks after March can encourage the spread of the disease.

Oak Wilt

Hinging can be a vaulable tool for landowners wishing to hold mature whitetails on their property but obtain as much knowledge as you can about the timber resources on your land before embarking on such a project...
icon_e_wink.gif

Wondering, has anyone direct seeded desirable acorns into their hinge cut areas?

I have been planting oak seedlings amongst the tops but not acorns yet although most certainly if you protect them via tubes or screen they too would do very well...
icon_e_geek.gif

Here are a few examples of situations where oak regeneration and fire can work and one in hinged areas where it most likely would be difficult at best.

These hinged trees have very little canopy and there is plenty of light

These are hinged hickories and shingles around a black oak where again it has opened up canopy making both oak rengeration and fire a possibility.

This is an example of very thick canopy and the type of "jungle" where it is very unlikely one could get a burn going and without some micro management it is highly doubtful and oak seedlings would survive.

Use some common sense regarding oak regeneration and burning in hinged areas and don't expect the same results as where true TSI is done...
icon_e_wink.gif

My wife’s friend Hattie killed this monster 200+ inch buck some time back not far from where we live during a drive in shotgun season.. I suspect if not for that he may have died of old age living in the oak ridges and red cedar thickets of southern Iowa.

No one picked up sticks or raked leaves to convince him to stay, but instead left him alone in a fairly large tract of cover not unlike other magnificent whitetail bucks across Iowa. Interesting and elusive creatures that few get to see and even fewer actually harvest, but they leave all of us hopeful for the chance.

How then can we realistically increase our chances of harvesting mature whitetails on our land? Food and secure cover meet their needs but if that were it then we would all have Booners on are wall.

I am blessed to be able to hunt deer for 2 months out of our 4 month season and observe them year around which has allowed me to learn a lot about whitetails and their habits in relationship to habitat. Even at that there is much I cannot know simply because of the nocturnal nature of a mature buck, we can however learn a great deal from telemetric studies done by Dr. Kroll, Dr. Mickey Hellickson, Dr. Mark Conners and others.

Much of it is common sense and anyone having spent much time pursuing mature whitetails can already relate to the following table showing that other then November….movement is between 70-100% nocturnal for mature whitetails..

Table 1. Percent of bucks that leave their home range for an extensive movement. These data are from 15 bucks, all over 2 ½ years of age.

% bucks that move
from their home range day time mvmt. night time mvmt.
Sep 24-Oct 14 13% 0% 100%
Oct 15-Nov 4 40% 30% 70%
Nov 5-Nov 25 58% 73% 27%
Nov 26-Dec 16 20% 30% 70%

That narrows the odds then to a certain time period but how much area does a mature buck use?

Home range sizes for those same bucks at 5.5 years of age was 450 acres

That is pretty typical of what I see in Iowa with larger animals typically living in larger areas of cover where they are completely unmolested. We may attract and hold a mature animal on smaller tracts but when they are most vulnerable they are also most likely to travel and sometimes 10-25 miles.

To complicate matters more it is common for bucks to have 2-3 core areas that may be 1-2 miles apart and again this correlates with my own observations. In spring bucks tend to move out into large fields of CRP grasses, in the heat of summer they may bed in the bottom of creeks on sand bars. Early fall brings about more movements as they prepare for breeding and feed heavily at night. The change between summer and fall is also noted in the QW article
Barn Bucks

The rut has them on their feet and moving in a relentless search for a doe in estrus and little time is spent eating or sleeping as they probe doe bedding areas and quickly move to the next, using their noses rather then their eyes to search out their quarry. The late season finds them actively seeking food sources and traveling several miles if necessary to find it and those that plant only one food source may find themselves left holding the bag.

Once we have a true understanding of a mature whitetail bucks needs, habits and movements and how they change through out the year we can begin to improve our habitat to meet those needs. This same understanding also makes it clear why landowners find attempts at making individual beds ineffectual in actually harvesting mature animals.

So we only have an 80 or 120 acres, how then can we hope to compete when an animal has a 450 acre home range? We can make our property the best piece of that home range and manage our habitat in a way that greatly increase the odds of intercepting that animal during his most vulnerable time.

Here in Iowa large mature animals will often choose large areas of relatively open timber or CRP fields over small thick areas simply because that is where they find the greatest security. In these areas they live completely unmolested and because of their nocturnal nature are seldom seen.

Our mission then is to create that same sense of security starting with shrub and conifer screens around the perimeter of our property allowing deer to feed and move despite roads, vehicles and people. We insulate them even further by planting interior fields with tall native prairie grasses and surround timbered woodlots with conifer screening.

Our timber is thickened by hinging, oak mast increased by TSI practices and food sources are maintained year around by planting a variety of crops planted in safe well screened areas between bedding.

Exactly where a mature buck will bed is impossible to predict but one thing is certain, he will seek out the doe groups and travel during daylight hours in November. In addition other traveling bucks will also visit and all of these deer can be killed by using living tree fences to manipulate movement and vastly narrow and even the odds of success.

Hinging cull trees plays a huge part in all of this but it is only one element, one piece of the habitat pie required to meet the needs of mature whitetails and landowners should use care not to leave any piece missing.

The following Q/A is from Dr. Kroll and his telemetric studies:

Q: How much less active does a buck become during daylight hours as he ages?

A: Once a buck reaches maturity, he might as well be a different species. A mature buck is 90 to 95 percent nocturnal. At an advanced age, he tends to become more foolish, exposing himself to harvest

Q: How much more active do bucks become during the rut?

A: The rut is made up of several phases. What most hunters call the rut is the chasing period, when bucks are visibly pursuing does. The greatest movement increase actually occurs during the pre-rut, when bucks are positioning themselves for breeding. The next-most active period is the chasing phase. The least movement occurs during peak breeding when bucks are "nailed down" with does. The next slowest period for buck movement is the post-rut, when bucks restrict movement to conserve energy.

Q: Most hunters can identify a breeding scrape. Are scrapes an important tool for deer hunting?

A: I pay little attention to scrapes. Most scrapes are worked at night in staging areas. I spend my efforts on rubs, which bucks use year after year. If you map out rubs, you can identify the buck movement patterns on the property where you hunt.

Those answers only serve to further amplify the need to hunt during the rut and to hunt bottlenecks rather then waste time foolishly watching scrapes that mature animals will rarely if ever touch in daylight hours.

If you take nothing else from this at least remember this....during the time when a mature buck is most vulnerable he is least likely to bed at all let alone in the same place an daytime movment will most likely be in and through areas he feels secure rather then open or edge areas.

Everyone has different goals but if yours is to consistently harvest mature bucks then it may be time to change not only your habitat but the way you hunt it as well…;)

This past winter I helped a friend hinge several areas on his property, we went in, spent several hours, left it looking like a hurricane went thru and got out and stayed out.

The other day I walked quietly thru the hayfield to check on a field I had sprayed and I walked a little too close to the hinged area and the whole place literally exploded with deer bedding in there.

We hinged every tree except for oaks but we did not spray roundup, haul sand, tie down limbs, rake leaves etc. because every minute spent in there is one more that convinces a mature buck NOT to.

I understand that some folks find it challenging to try some things involving individual beds but if one's goal is to hold mature bucks, those things are not only uneccessary but often counter productive.

Doe groups are homebodies, they aren't going anywhere and with any amount of natural cover will readily set up shop. Hinging a large area is more then enough to not only hold doe groups but if left alone as a sanctuary mature bucks are also likely to move in.

If there are so many "sticks" on the ground that a deer can't lay down then the timber is being neglected and mismanaged in which case a walk with your forester would be in order.

When the hinged trees are used to create a fence like funnel to a natural runway the odds of harvesting animals increases greatly.

Everything to the right or left of these pics is "hinged with a plan" to ease deer down a runway they already used

A number of runways over a 100 yard stretch now all converge within 25 yards of my stand as you can see by different direction of travel

These deer are literally 80 yards from house but they feel safe and at ease traveling thru the thick cover that is a combination of red cedars and hinged trees.

I slip into stands like this under cover of darkness in the morning and kill them as they return to bedding areas beyond.

A well thought out approach using some type of screening cover to a stand in a bottleneck between bedding and feed but not actually IN either one will allow you to kill deer repeatedly without chasing them out of kitchen or bedroom...
icon_e_wink.gif

This past winter was pretty tough on unprotected oak seedlings with many being severely browsed or eaten to the ground like this one.

Standing corn, brassicas and winter rye plots all literally surrounding that and other seedlings like it, yet they were not spared.

On the other hand...those oaks planted at the same time in and amongst hinge cut trees not only escaped un harmed but have thrived and are growing well this spring!

I tubed some of these trees recently to compare growth to untubed and not one of them had been browsed. I took this pic early in the morning and the light was poor but it still shows how thick it is around these young oaks, yet they are thriving.

Interplanting oaks in hinged areas may not be for everyone because it does require some management. I slip in and spray herbicide around the young trees each spring and will do so until they are above adjacent canopy and some may prefer to not enter the bedding areas at all.

The seedlings I plant are fast growing hybrid oaks or Dwarf Chinkapins that will produce low tannin, sweet acorns in as little as 7-10 years and even a dozen such trees dropping acorns in the middle of a bedding area will provide a combination of food and cover that...the neighbors won't have....
icon_e_wink.gif

My friend Cory sent me some pics of areas on his farm where he has not done any hinge cutting...

Like many woodlots, it 's all open with no cover or browse

As compared to these pics of areas he did hinge cutting this past winter

Hinge cutting cull trees can make a night and day difference in your deer habitat in months rather then years!

This spring and early summer has been so wet that growth has been not unlike a rain forest here in SE Iowa! Probably as heavy as could ever be expected in my hinge cuts so I'd like to share some summer pics of hinging done last winter. I also want to address concerns about oak regeneration and how hinging might affect oak seedlings.

This pic is one where I have not done any work and shows the runway that my hinging has funneled deer down. There is little native browse or cover.

These are some only yards away that show the tremendous amount of browse and cover that hinging can generate

Hinging can create a "jungle" like environment that radically changes timber from an open park like area devoid of food and cover to a haven for whitetails!

Even if the tree does not remain alive (some will not) the stump sends up an explosion of growth!

Despite the appearance of thick cover, hinging does create openings that then encourages native plants and grasses to emerge taking advantage of sunlight.

Tree seedlings that previously could not survive in the completely shaded atmosphere now begin to grow and thrive. Some good, some bad and that requires some micro mangement to ensure that the species you want will survive and invasives are kept at bay.

If there are no oaks nearby, regeneration is unlikely unless we introduce oak seedlings, something I have done very successfully. If on the other hand there are parent oaks in your hinged area, there are already oak seedlings attempting to grow.

It is a simple task to locate them and hinge trees around them to further open up canopy.

Growth of the seedlings will be rapid once canopy and competition is removed

Even in heavy cover the oak seedlings will surge towards the sunlight and soon rise above the downed canopy.

Everything requires managment, every inch of our properties, without it everything from our CRP to woodlots will be over run with invasives. We don't plant a field of clover or corn and then ignore it, we manage it using herbicides, mowing, soil building and so on.

It is possible to use burns to help control invasives in our fields and timber but herbicides are also a safe way to control invasives. Basal bark treatment with Remedy and dsl fuel will smoke any invasives without killing nearby species and easily done with a backpack sprayer.

Even simply nipping off any competing trees as needed will also insure that the right tree species survive within your hinge cut areas. It is important to stay out of hinge areas as much as possible but it takes very little time to do some management versus leaving it alone for years and regretting doing so.....
icon_e_wink.gif

I walked in to set up a cam for a friend of mine and couldn't help notice the open park like atmosphere

compared to a hinge cut area we had worked on last winter...I didn't want to get closer but you can see the sunlight shining in and simply the fact that one cannot see "forever" as you can in the areas not hinged.

Many of the new cams nowdays will operate for a year on lithium batteries and hold thousands of pictures on 8G or larger cards. Makes it nice to slip in and set one to monitor and area but not have to be tramping around in there frequently.

I always prefer to set up cams in the same funnels were I will hunt because it allows me to stay away from bedding areas yet monitor deer traveling through the funnels. Since cams can be left for very long periods of time now they can become an accurate means of doing a survey without disturbing deer.

Checking trail cams can become addictive so one must use caution to keep them from interior areas that might hold mature bucks yet still be able to know with certainty what is living and using both your property and bedding areas.

Just like with hunting, use natural screening cover to travel to and from cam setups so that the liklehood of spooking deer will be minimized. Edge feathering along timbers edge can help provide such a natural screen and funnel deer right past a trail cam at the same time. Remember it is impossible to do accurate cam surveys if deer have dozens of runways traveling in and out of your bedding areas and hunting those runways will prove just as frustrating.

Hinging trees to create funnels makes both hunting and trail monitoring via cams much more successful, accurate and rewarding...
icon_e_wink.gif

Now that the hay is off I took a few pics of an edgefeathered field edge (hinging trees along the field edge). This edge was hinged nearly three years ago although I have done a little work on it each winter since.

The edge is clearly impenetrable and a 1/2 dozen runways were effectively closed off when I had finished working on it.

Deer follow the edge right to one remaining runway, feeding on the browse along the field edge but deer on the other side cannot see into the field.

The ensuing jungle that erupts along the edge creates a solid screen that makes deer feel secure in bedding areas on the other side and allows me to slip in and out unseen.

I always leave a tree with overhanging branch at the entrance to the runway and they have kept this scrape active for years now. Note the trail cam that accurately monitors movement and gives a better idea what mature animals might be using my property.

a few dollars worth of trace mineral salt tells me about the deer I have and then I monitor the funnels and bottlenecks I have created with hinging to see where they are actually traveling

Mature bucks are nocturnal and elusive creatures but hinging to "bottle" them up sure narrows the odds...
icon_e_wink.gif

Back