Cuttings or bare roots

I am looking to replace an EW screen that runs on the south edge of one of our plots with a more perminate screen. I have only planted bare roots before and was wondering what advantages cuttings offer? Has anyone found cutting to growth faster?

I am looing at arrowwood, dogwood, and willow.

Honestly, i am not a big fan of cuttings. I cut my own each year and stick them here and there because it's so easy and maybe a few will grow. But they require more care for great success.
Bareroots are already on their way and a much better option for me. They already have roots!

Brushpile has done a lot with cuttings. But he takes great care to get them started it seems.

If you want numbers then doing your own cuttings will save you some money but takes more time. A lot also depends on what you are planting. I've done both and I prefer bare roots. Only cuttings I have done are button bush, mullberry, and willows with good success.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I have elderberry that i can get cuttings from but other than that i have to purchase what i plant this year.

The area i have is about 130 yards long and about 10 yards off the woods line. With the ew dead i have bare dirt and can put down black fabric. I was looking at cuttings in the hope that they would grow faster but i cant find any studies that say either way

Cuttings rarely grow faster because they have to develop roots before top growth. The one exception is truncheons. Starting off with 3-4' trees offers some advantage as you can see on my property thread. Poplar truncheons are 8' tall and covered in branches despite horrible drought conditions.

Doctorbrady, the truncheons are awesome. Thanks for pointing me to your thread. They would get the job done quick. We dont have any poplar on the property but if i can find some i would to try it.

If cuttings dont provide fasterfrowth then i wil. Probably go with bare roots.

Doctorbrady, the truncheons are awesome. Thanks for pointing me to your thread. They would get the job done quick. We dont have any poplar on the property but if i can find some i would to try it.

If cuttings dont provide fasterfrowth then i wil. Probably go with bare roots.
Those pictures were early in the year. I will post more in the Spring. They are TREES now!

Back