Crimson Clover Question

DougG

I am in South East Ohio, and I want to put in some more Crimson Clover, had a nice patch of it growing in some winter wheat, but want to expand. Can I sow in the early spring and have it possibly come to head and reseed for the following year? The existing in the wheat seems to do the same each year, as we let the wheat come to head and then mow and till under and the Crimson Clover comes back each year. Or should I wait to seed until the fall?

I’ve had the best results planting in the fall. Last week of August or up to Labor Day works really good for me. It never gets mature so the stand comes back fully in the spring. Although some will regenerate from that, it’s not like a reseeded plot so I replant every fall.

You can frost seed it in the late winter/early spring with good success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about in my area where we never really get much ground freezing. Is “frost seeding” viable here ? All opinions welcome.

What about in my area where we never really get much ground freezing. Is “frost seeding” viable here ? All opinions welcome.

What I heard on a podcast was that for areas that don’t get the freezing thawing affect, you are aiming for the same results, it would just be over seeding instead of frost seeding.

What I heard on a podcast was that for areas that don’t get the freezing thawing affect, you are aiming for the same results, it would just be over seeding instead of frost seeding.

Well, I have some MRC as well as crimson left so I’m gonna try it next month. Thanks for the info.

I just picked up some Crimson Clover from Hancock seed and will plant in late Feb or early March and see how things do. Thanks

I broadcasted it into a white clover field last fall right before I mowed, along with a bunch of other seed. But the crimson clover I figured would be easiest to identify and see how that process works out for me.

Don,

Do you have experience with MRC?

How does it do in east texas?

bill

Bill, I’ve planted it several times in the fall with my wheat. It always does well through the fall and winter but by late spring it’s always gone. I don’t know what happens to it, but it never makes it to summer.
That’s why I’m gonna try “frost seeding” this year, just to see what happens.

Back