Coyote gun

Turkey Creek

I would bet that Nebraska coyotes are generally larger that those in Oklahoma.

I load all my own ammo and the only load I have found for my 22-250 that doesn't exit (at least on occasion) is a 33 grain polymer tipped bullet I bought as surplus many years ago. The velocity of this bullet across my cronograph is over 4200 fps......that is not a misprint......I have killed coyotes with this bullet but don't recommend it because I don't think it is "enough", it works great for bobcats. I generally use the 50 grain V-Max for coyotes but have tried various 45, 50 and 55 grain bullets.....all of them have resulted in "blown up" coyote hides on occasion. It has been a few years since I checked, but, at that time green coyote hides were bringing $7-$10. Last year, I talked to some coyote trappers working the ranch north of my place and they said they were getting $50 for a skinned and fleshed coyote. I sold a lot of hides when I was trapping, but coyotes have never brought enough around here to make me want to skin one. Even with broadside behind the shoulder shots I have hit ribs and "blown up" hides with the 22-250 and 243. When calling coyotes I don't wait for a "hide saving" shot opportunity, I kill them at the first opportunity I have.....bobcats are a different story.

I'm partial to the .204 Ruger. Had a damaged pelt once, other than that, one hole in small or no hole out.
9E2C9C52-6838-4643-84E9-7AD33EC5CB5A_zpsoj4e5pgv.jpg

Doc that is about as pretty a coyote as I've ever seen!
Thanks. I didn't weight it, but it was a big female. My brother ran traps on this property January/February of this year and the very last dog that was trapped was a 40lb female. I still have one coyote on my trail cam photos, but now I am getting grey foxes that I have never seen locally. I have also seen the rabbit numbers jumping up and the quail seem to be a little more relaxed. I still am after a bobcat, I also wouldn't mind one of the foxes but doubt I will shoot one.

Tell me more about the .204 in that pic, Doc?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Savage Mod 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40, Hornady Superformance 40gr V-Max. Accutrigger set to 1.5lb(don't touch it until ready to shoot). I am saving the brass for reloads that I bought Berger 35gr varmint bullets for. At the time I got the rifle, .204 ammo had disappeared off the shelves because of Sandy Hook/Obama. Once I found some, I bought several boxes and am still shooting it. I just need to start load work, and get it out of the way. Great rifle, even better round, accurate, light recoil(can watch the bullet impact at 100yds), and devastating on critters.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1

I sort of kick myself on this one. I really should have had this one mounted. I blew a hell of a hole in him with my 12 gauge slug gun while deer hunting. I'm a hair over six feet tall to give you an idea of size. I don't hunt them, they are simply a target of opportunity for me. Lucy their in the back wasn't sure what to think.....
coyote 2009 comp.jpg

My current "Coyote Rifle", a Bushmaster lower with a Compass lake Engineering upper with an 18" Douglas SS barrel; Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40 (wish I had got the Vortex Diamondback, oh well). I've shot at several coyotes from this spot, but have to connect. All on me, not the gun. This pic is taken from my front deck. I pretty much own all the land down to the tree line.

IMG_20150311_164751397%20Large_zpsahzfk1pb.jpg

I just bought a new Ruger American rifle in 7mm-08 just this last Oct. I've already killed 5 doe with it. So now I'm thinking of getting a new Coyote Rifle:

6965.jpg

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/6965.html

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

I've been hunting coyotes and varmints for decades.

When calling in coyotes, IMO, the best coyote rifle is often a 12 gauge shotgun. If you're going to be hunting in IL, you have Eastern Coyotes, which are totally different from those big, dumb, western coyotes that will happily trot in over wide open ground for 3 miles just to get themselves shot.

In areas where there is significant human presence, Eastern Coyotes become incredibly wary and won't often cross open ground where a long-range rifle shot is possible. I very rarely call in a coyote in MN that I first see at a distance if more than 50 yards. In low brush and wooded country, the coyotes stick to the cover. It isn't like the TV shows where coyotes come bouncing in over a mile of wide open rangeland.

I only carry a rifle to 10% of my stands where there is a setup that allows me to see a long way. Otherwise, I use a 12 gauge 3 inch mag with Hornady nickel plated BB coyote loads. This combo lays out yotes stone dead at 60 yards, it's absolutely lethal and far better than buckshot IME because it has a greater pellet count.

If you really want a rifle, the .22-250 is the King of the Varmint
rifles for good reason. Personally, I switched over to the Savage Axis about 5 years ago for my varmint rifles because I got tired of burning up expensive guns just shooting pasture poodles. With a drop in trigger from Rifle Basix the Axis shoots touching groups and I've killed p-dogs beyond 400. No better rifle for the dollar IMO. I have run these guns red hot in dog towns at 104 degrees air temp and wind blowing dust and grit into them and they just keep doin' the boom-whop round after round. When my current 2 burn up, I'll gladly replace them with 2 more.

Grouse

My current "Coyote Rifle", a Bushmaster lower with a Compass lake Engineering upper with an 18" Douglas SS barrel;

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/6965.html

Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
It's hard to beat an AR for coyote hunting in my opinion.

I happen to know the lead designer of the Ruger American. He also designed the Marlin x7 and the Remington 783. Any of those would be a great choice. They have a very similar feature set, so it boils down to which brand you prefer or which one you can get the best deal on. Btw they all were designed to compete with the Savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been hunting coyotes and varmints for decades.

When calling in coyotes, IMO, the best coyote rifle is often a 12 gauge shotgun. If you're going to be hunting in IL, you have Eastern Coyotes, which are totally different from those big, dumb, western coyotes that will happily trot in over wide open ground for 3 miles just to get themselves shot.

Grouse

I agree, I would much rather shoot one at 20 yards with a bunch of BB's than 400 with a rifle. As far as skinning for sell I would pick a 223 probably in some sort of AR configuration. Calling I typically take both, shotgun in my hands AR on the sticks.

Back