Couple From the Farm

And it does look like persimmon….

That looks like it is in a big field, and it reminds me of what I have seen with persimmons coming back from roots in hay fields. I know of fields that have been mowed for hay twice a year for the last 50+ years that will still have persimmon trees coming back every spring. By the time of the first hay cutting in spring, they will look just like your pictures. However, if the farmer ever starts cropping and starts gly spraying every spring, the persimmons finally die.

Last edited:

That looks like it is in a big field, and it reminds me of what I have seen with persimmons coming back from roots in hay fields. I know of fields that have been mowed for hay twice a year for the last 50+ years that will still have persimmon trees coming back every spring. By the time of the first hay cutting in spring, they will look just like your pictures. However, if the farmer ever starts cropping and starts gly spraying every spring, the persimmons finally die.
Several quite a few of the native persimmons are far enough away from the filed to be safe from drift I’m guessing, but some of them are not.

I always thought these volunteer persimmons were from seeds deposited by coon crap. I’ll admit that the number seemed awfully high to be attributed to that, though. You think they’re coming from old roots?

I always thought these volunteer persimmons were from seeds deposited by coon crap. I’ll admit that the number seemed awfully high to be attributed to that, though. You think they’re coming from old roots?
Yes sir. I know they are for certain.

Last edited:
Back