Control plantain in clover

Hello, I was happy to find this forum. I am looking for some help in an established clover plot. can someone give me a recommendation for controlling buckhorn and broadleaf plantain in a clover plot?

I recently sprayed bentazon 4- about 10 days ago and it appears that either the plantain grew in after that at least above the clover or that the bentazon did not control it.
The bentazon label doesn't list plantain.

I would like to avoid anything that has a significant residual control of brassica/turnips of longer than 12-18 mos. so that I can replant with that crop if needed.

Please let me know if I need to provide additional info.

Thanks In advance

Plantain is a tough one! I usually just mow to control it - most chemical spray that I have access too would also hinder clover -
It so in my seedbank that there is not getting rid of it - though I relish the years when I revamp the field and spray it with round up!

If I mow - I get most of it with the 1st mowing - when the clover cannot outcompete it anymore - I replant or rotate.

I don't know how bad either of them are in your plot but, if its not over bearing, you can spot spray both with glyphosate and a backpack sprayer. This may not be an option if there is a lot of it so you might have to go another route as farm hunter mentioned.

My experience is most clover plots will bounce back from a dose of gly. I'd give it a shot if it's that much of a concern. Any evidence of the deer using the plantain? Some varieties are reportedly quite nutritional/desirable.

My experience is most clover plots will bounce back from a dose of gly. I'd give it a shot if it's that much of a concern. Any evidence of the deer using the plantain? Some varieties are reportedly quite nutritional/desirable.

There isn't any evidence I can see that deer are using it.
It's pretty widespread in the plot so I don't think I can spot spray.

2-4DB label mentions that it controls water plantain. Any chance I can mix it hot and kill the broadleaf and buckhorn varieties?

Back