Briars in clover

I spray for broadleaf and grass in my clover but during the starting around June timeframe I always get briars growing in my clover plot. Yes they dont bother the deer but just seeing them drives me crazy. Is there anything out there to kill them off without killing clover. I figured crossbow would do it but I normally only spot spray that and figured it would wipe out the clover. Thanks

This was one of the hardest things for me to overcome in my years of property management. Not getting rid of briars, but learning to become weed tolerant. It took a long time for me to get over the idea of what looks good to me, is not supporting deer well. My attitude was much like a farmer's in my early years, "If I didn't plant it, it's a weed and I want to get rid of it!" It took many years for me to get past that and learn the value of weeds.

There is a good thread on here with a video by Dr. Harper: The video linked there does a great job of summarizing the value of weeds to deer. While the specific techniques he demonstrates are not directly applicable to food plots, the principles can be applied to our food plots, especially perennial clover.

Clover is a forb and very beneficial to deer, but many of the weeds we get in our clover plots are even more beneficial to deer. The variety and structure they bring to a perennial clover plot is a great benefit to deer.

Ok, off the soapbox....

What kind of briars? Blackberry briars in our neck of the woods will take EVERYTHING over if left unchecked. The only thing that stops them naturally is shade, which also stops anything you’d plant in you foodplot/field/pasture unfortunately. I fight them with remedy and spot spraying. It is an ongoing battle for sure.

If we are talking blackberry - Mowing once a year has no negative impact on them. Patches can even continue to spread.

Mowing twice (spring and fall) will siginificantly reduce them in some places but not others.

Mowing three times (spring, summer, fall) will generally drive the roots into dormancy in most places. You could simply mow three times a year and set the mower above your clover if you don't want to mow the clover, and I think you would eventually be fine.

Generally you need to mow above clover at certain times of the year anyway - to keep tall, unwanted weeds (marestail, pilewort, etc.) from going to seed. Oh yea, crossbow will definitely kill clover, so I wouldn't recommend that at all.

That’s some good information Native, I’ll keep this in mind. Since our plots aren’t growing because of drought, regular mowing has been the last thing on my mind.

I find mowing multiple times per year does not reduce marestail. What happens is that marestail just re-sprouts and goes to seed quickly again. When I have a marestail infestation, I find timing is everything. You want to let it expend its energy on growing tall and producing seed, but mowing it just before the seed matures and becomes viable. This does not allow enough time in the season for it to go back to seed.

Every noxious weed seems to have it's own characteristics and needs its own management technique. I don't find blackberry bushes problematic. They are a good wildlife plant to have. If they are taking over a field, I'd begin to wonder why. They love acidic soil and clover does not. So, if they were taking over a clover field, vs just a few as part of a healthy mix of weeds, the first thing I'd look at is soil pH. While blackberries grow abundantly in any opening in our acidic clay soil along logging roads and anywhere they get light, I've never had an issue with them taking over a clover field mowed once a year as long as I keep the pH amended.

That’s some good information Native, I’ll keep this in mind. Since our plots aren’t growing because of drought, regular mowing has been the last thing on my mind.

With the drought you have been through, I can understand that.

The only place I have unwanted blackberry is in NWSG fields. I don't have it in plots, and I seldom mow my plots. Actually, I went through them a few days ago and hand pulled (including roots) all the stuff coming up that I didn't want going to seed. That was mostly marestail, pilewort and perilla. It only took about an hour, and it was excellent exercise. Those folks who go to the gym for a workout don't know what fun they are missing!

Back