Concordia Oaks

I wonder how these would grow in Wisconsin? I would be more than happy to pay(Send you a check, paypal, venmo, etc) if any members have a few acorns they could spare to test these in a northern region.
I'd love to have some also. Swamp white oaks definitely grow in Wisconsin. We are on the north end of the range for chiquapin oaks, but I'm going to guess they will do OK. My ground is frozen solid, but we can pack them in peat moss in the refrigerator over the winter and plant them in the spring. I've done it before. Just have to protect them from the squirrels and chipmunks.
If you find a source, please let me know so I can get some also, and I'll let you know if I find a source.

They look great! How old are they now? Looks like you tubed them as youngins?

I want to say 10-12 years old now? That’s just shooting from the hip tho.

The only tube they’ve ever had on them was the one in the pic. I had fencing around them till last year that was removed...they’re past deer destroying them IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I want to say 10-12 years old now? That’s just shooting from the hip tho.

The only tube they’ve ever had on them was the one in the pic. I had fencing around them till last year that was removed...they’re past deer destroying them IMO.

Remind me where you got your trees from? MDC? I got mine the first year they were offered and they are 8yo this spring. The ones in my yard have produced since age 5. Ones in the field have yet to produce a acorn. Also the ones in my yard have only produced a hand full of acorns between three trees. It’s not like the ground is loaded every fall. They are just like any other hybrid oak. Quick to produce but not in very large quantities until they get older and bigger. My trees are 8 years old and are still pretty small. I put some high nitrogen fertilizer on them this year to see if that makes any difference in nut production.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remind me where you got your trees from? MDC? I got mine the first year they were offered and they are 8yo this spring. The ones in my yard have produced since age 5. Ones in the field have yet to produce a acorn. Also the ones in my yard have only produced a hand full of acorns between three trees. It’s not like the ground is loaded every fall. They are just like any other hybrid oak. Quick to produce but not in very large quantities until they get older and bigger. My trees are 8 years old and are still pretty small. I put some high nitrogen fertilizer on them this year to see if that makes any difference in nut production.

Matt

I have some from the Petersen yard, some I bought from the city when MDC was growing them for the city, and some from the MDC afterwards. I want to say these are some I bought from the city. They were selling them at the Concordia pool if I remember right.

I have some from the Petersen yard, some I bought from the city when MDC was growing them for the city, and some from the MDC afterwards. I want to say these are some I bought from the city. They were selling them at the Concordia pool if I remember right.

They are a beautiful tree. Just wish they lived up to their hype. Hoping my fertilizer will kick them into high gear this year. I will say this...They are drought tolerant!

Matt

I have 10 acres of mixed oaks and pines I planted 15-17 years ago. Some of the oak trees are now 40 to 50 feet tall.

Up until this year, I have paid very little attention to them - except for whacking and stump treating sweet gum that came up and competed with them. However, this year I'm going to do a rough inventory of what I have and start watching for acorn production. In fact, I may start a new thread when the leaves come out and add to it as the year goes on.

I've been out working in them the last few days, and I can easily identify about 12 different species of oak. There are a few others that I can't ID yet, but hope to be able to when the leaves come out. I got excited a few days ago when I found several swamp white oaks and several chinkapin oaks that I didn't even know I had.

Below is a picture of a double trunked oak that I can't ID yet. Those dark spots are flowers that froze out in our historic spring freeze last year. It looks like that tree (and some more like it nearby) were ready to do some heavy acorn production if the freeze hadn't got them.

TzUWi2V.jpg

Pic below is what some of the red oaks looked like last year.

3v244Tr.jpg

Last edited:
Have you guys ever used a "miracle grow" on young oak trees?

2-3 years no fertilizer. After that a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 or similar is all I’ve ever done until this year . This year I went with a high nitrogen fertilizer to see what would happen.

Have you guys ever used a "miracle grow" on young oak trees?

My oaks haven’t been fertilized, but it wouldn’t be a bad thing to do. If I find any trees that stand out from the crowd in acorn production over the next few years, I may give them a little special attention.

Dr Craig Harper said in a podcast once that you could cut down half of the oaks in a typical forest and end up with more acorns than you had before. Of course, those that were cut down would be the poorest producers. He said fertilizing those trees was a waste of time and money. It didn’t help them produce more acorns. But removing them allowed the good producers to have bigger crowns and receive more sunlight. This causes their production to increase.

From what he said, I took it that fertilizing an oak could help it to grow faster, but he wasn’t very positive about it increasing acorn production. Genetics and reduced competition are the biggest factors for an individual trees ability to produce acorns.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Dr. Harper - and I accept his conclusion about little help with acorn production - and all others who say it won't help to fertilize an oak tree .... I beg to differ. They are probably correct with regard to a mature tree - say 50-60 footer. However, from my experience, a "fertilized" 10' / 4 yr old oak tree will outperform growth wise a tree that is not fertilized. Read what Clemson University has to say about too heavy a nitrogen boost....
https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/fertilizing-trees-shrubs/
Attached are photos of some of the various fertilizers I use on oaks; they need acidic soils so iron is an issue. Schultz is one of the more efficient with regard to the bang for the buck; however, I like Ultra Green complete food for its composition. food.jpg rsz_stay_green_&_peters_food.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_ultra_green_complete_food.jpg
    rsz_ultra_green_complete_food.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 0
With all due respect to Dr. Harper - and I accept his conclusion about little help with acorn production - and all others who say it won't help to fertilize an oak tree .... I beg to differ. They are probably correct with regard to a mature tree - say 50-60 footer. However, from my experience, a "fertilized" 10' / 4 yr old oak tree will outperform growth wise a tree that is not fertilized. Read what Clemson University has to say about too heavy a nitrogen boost....
https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/fertilizing-trees-shrubs/
Attached are photos of some of the various fertilizers I use on oaks; they need acidic soils so iron is an issue. Schultz is one of the more efficient with regard to the bang for the buck; however, I like Ultra Green complete food for its composition. View attachment 21334 View attachment 21335

Any dummy should know that fertilizing a young tree will make it grow faster. Neither Dr. Harper nor I said that that it wouldn't. I'm not sure who the "all others" are that you are referring to but it wasn't either one of us.

Last edited:
We’ll see how my Concordia’s respond this year. I went and put the hammer down and used an all nitrogen fertilizer.

Native, my comments were not directed at you or Dr. Harper for that matter. I thought I made it clear that I agreed with his assessment regarding acorn production and fertilization. I don't know if I can find specific posts; however, over the past several years (going back to QDMA days) I recall posts that suggested/stated fertilizing oak trees (suggesting all trees) was not very beneficial. They might have made that conclusion from the belief of others - like Dr. Harper - that mature oak tree acorn production is more likely affected by factors like weather or the amount of sunlight available to the tree. I'm sorry you appeared to be offended by my remarks.

Native, my comments were not directed at you or Dr. Harper for that matter. I thought I made it clear that I agreed with his assessment regarding acorn production and fertilization. I don't know if I can find specific posts; however, over the past several years (going back to QDMA days) I recall posts that suggested/stated fertilizing oak trees (suggesting all trees) was not very beneficial. They might have made that conclusion from the belief of others - like Dr. Harper - that mature oak tree acorn production is more likely affected by factors like weather or the amount of sunlight available to the tree. I'm sorry you appeared to be offended by my remarks.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Just as a followup; here are 5 posts I grabbed off of deer sites. They show not all habitat junkies are highly informed about fertilizing trees.
Posters names were omitted for obvious reasons.

I never knew you should fertilize oak trees. What can you tell me about this?

xxxd I am a firm believer in fertilizing trees. I fertilize my young trees every yr with great results. Lots of people will say not to fertilize a young tree.

Although I don't specifically fertilize young trees, my trees that are on the edge of food plots (and thus receive fertilizer when I broadcast it on the plot) are MUCH bigger than trees that don't receive fertilizer. Night and day difference.

I have a few hundred 2 and a half year old trees and i was wondering if they would benifit from some fertilizer. Does anyone fertlize their young trees? If so, When is a good time to to fertilize young trees and what fert should be used?

I have some oaks that just seem to struggle some that are on lighter soil while my others do fine.I was told to dry rebar around the tree because oaks need iron but I wonder if that would really put anything in soil. Does anyone fertilize some of their trees?

Yeah well I live in TX. These trees are in my yard. There is NO other competition. I also have other oaks on the property that are growing great so unless it’s a soil imbalance localized to three random areas in my yard where I placed these oaks something else is going on.

Matt

Back