Compton oak

weekender21

Colonial Williamsburg. This thing is a giant.

7f3ce47491870c0335ce646328d68d73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have experience growing these? Always looking for another variety of oak to plant.

Anybody have experience growing these? Always looking for another variety of oak to plant.

No but..

Overcup and live oak parents. Hardiness zones 7-9. Mainly a low country tree. This particular tree closely resembles a live oak but it’s definitely bigger.

No but..

Overcup and live oak parents. Hardiness zones 7-9. Mainly a low country tree. This particular tree closely resembles a live oak but it’s definitely bigger.

We planted a pretty good variety of oaks this past spring. As most know from my complaining, we’re in the middle of a drought. Most of the oaks made it long enough before I began watering, but the overcups did not. I wouldn’t mind trying again with this hybrid. Surely we’ll be out of this drought by next summer???

I found a couple of trees in different locations last year and gathered a few hundred acorns. These trees really seemed to attract the acorn weevils. Out of the approximately 200 acorns I gathered, maybe 25-30 showed no signs of weevils. Germination was not great. The first tree was surrounded by live oaks so I assume that other live oaks pollinated the acorns. The seedlings from this tree are similar to live oaks I am currently growing and others I have grown in the past. The other tree was more interesting in that there were live oaks and overcup oaks surrounding it. A few of its seedlings seem to have a more overcup look to them. I don't have any long-term observations yet, but they seem to be growing at the same rate as live oaks. Most overcup oaks I have grown in the past wind up between 20-40" in height after the first year. These Compton seedlings will probably be 14-25". The mother tree with live and overcup oaks surrounding it is below. From a distance it looks like any other live oak, but when you get close and really look at the leaves, you notice it is different. The acorns are also different.

52313445836_6955239476_o.jpg

52313875779_2989101d02_o.jpg

Back