Collected Nice Sawtooth Acorns - What Do I Do Now

wbpdeer

I collected about 75 sawtooth acorns today on a line of nice trees in a city setting in a nearby town.

What do I do now? Do I have to chill them or can I put them in a grow box setting now.

I had rather grow seedlings first and plant in the final destination last.

Coach me up friends, I know all about chestnuts but I have always mismanaged sawtooth acorns.

Thanks
Wayne
Portland, TN

I grew a bunch with my kids this year, along with other species. We kept them in the refrigerator October-March, planted them in starters mid March for ~3 months, then transferred them to 3 gallon RootMaker pots. They’re east to grow from my limited experience.

I have a thread titled “planting acorns with kids” or something similar on here. Pictures on that thread.

Planting acorns with the kids
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...h-the-kids.6187/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wayne, I just stuck some in the ground about an inch under the sod and had several to come up. I did it in a fence row where I would be able to find them and not mow them down.

Native Hunter,

Good to hear from you friend. My father in law passed away in August and his farms is a 50-50 deal, I married the oldest daughter and her sister will get half share. We have an agreement based upon east side of the ground and west side of ground. My son and I upgraded everything on the east side of that 210 acres. That agreement was put in place so we could improve the side we wanted to keep when lands got passed down.

So I will not be sticking seedlings until a few legal processes run its course. After the first of the year, we should have a green light. So right now I will grow seedlings and once things are finalized I will make decisions with my son about where we stick our new seedlings.

My father in law was about 12 days shy of his 92nd Birthday. A good man that never sold anything.

I am gonna grow the seedlings and my son is gonna do the planting. It is time for him and my grandson to get familiar with that process.

Have you retired yet, or you still going strong?

Thanks Native

WBP

Native Hunter,

Good to hear from you friend. My father in law passed away in August and his farms is a 50-50 deal, I married the oldest daughter and her sister will get half share. We have an agreement based upon east side of the ground and west side of ground. My son and I upgraded everything on the east side of that 210 acres. That agreement was put in place so we could improve the side we wanted to keep when lands got passed down.

So I will not be sticking seedlings until a few legal processes run its course. After the first of the year, we should have a green light. So right now I will grow seedlings and once things are finalized I will make decisions with my son about where we stick our new seedlings.

My father in law was about 12 days shy of his 92nd Birthday. A good man that never sold anything.

I am gonna grow the seedlings and my son is gonna do the planting. It is time for him and my grandson to get familiar with that process.

Have you retired yet, or you still going strong?

Thanks Native

WBP

Wayne, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but glad everything is working out for you on the land split. That sounds like some exciting times ahead for you and your son as you navigate all of the things you will want to do.

I actually dug up and moved the sawtooth sprouts the next spring when they were about 5 inches high. I just got a big clod of dirt and never disturbed the roots at all. Then I put down and mat and cage - just like I was planting an apple or pear tree. I also have a few just coming up in the fence row without a cage or anything. I will leave those there. I have found that if a tree is set within a few inches of a barbed wire fence that it won't get rubbed. However, if it is something that they will browse, it still needs protection for that.

I'm still working full time, but have already told my company that I won't be doing that any later than March 1 of next year. After that I will do part time for a little while, but honestly expect not to do that for very long. I was right by your house about 6 months ago when working one day but didn't stop because I was riding with someone else. It's so good to hear from you and see you posting. Best wishes on your new project and be sure to stay in touch.

Figured out posting pictures
7baab922d53fb854d08db37176e89838.jpg
4ed67b89588633657c78d5be4340908d.jpg
2bea1710179222e816b170bf6825a6e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Back