Cold feet?

Ohanaman

Figured this might be a good topic since its getting really cold out there. How do you keep your feet warm in a blind or stand when those temps dip below freezing? Type of boots, socks, heating devices?

I just pile as many layers as I possibly can into my boots with a couple foot warmers. I wear Lacrosse 1200g thinsulate. When it gets as cold as it is here in Illinois today it don't matter your feet are just going to get cold. Just have to stick it out as long as possible.

Thermacell makes some sort of battery operated foot warmer thing. It's basically an sole insert that you put in your boot. I think it operates by a remote. Has to work better than those stinking hand/feet warmers that go cold after 10 minutes of being in your boots!
It seems like the more layers of socks I have on, the less I can wiggle my toes, and the colder my feet get.

I saw a pair of battery operated heated socks at Gander Mountain the other day too. If I could afford the $25 for a pair of socks I would have got a pair.

Cold feet are caused many times due to tight fitting boots when additional socks are added. It places pressure on the feet which reduces circulation. Cold weather boots should a larger size than your regular boots.

Old timers would wear suspenders because a belt acts like a tourniquet.

Gander Mountains sells an overboot made out of space age material. In a shooting house I will take my boots off and put those on with about 2 hand warmers in for each foot. These are great.

A buddy heater in a shooting house or ground blind are nice to prevent cold feet and cold hands.

Tight clothes reduce circulation and that lowers the body's temp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Baffin boots and have been blown Way with how well they have kept my feat warm. Not bad to walk in for a pack style boot either.

As a sucker for infomercials, I wonder about these socks ? : https://www.35below.

Of course we don't see a whole lot of sub-freezing weather here in Oklahoma but this weekend it is getting down to 9 degrees---that is cold. I just wear a pair of regular thinsulate rubber boots. I wear a size 10.5 normally but my cold weather boots are a size 12. I wear a thin undersock that wicks sweat away, a thin wool blend sock then a thick wool blend sock over that. I want to be able to easily wiggle my toes. Many times in the shooting house I will actually just take my boots off. My feet will still get a little cold but not miserable.

I am with dogdoc this is exactly what I do. The only difference is having a shooting house to kick my boots off in lol

The best thing I have found is the Arctic Shield Boot Insulators/Covers. I wear a lightweight waterproof boot(same boot I wear for turkey hunting in the spring) to the stand with a decent wool sock. When I get to the stand I either put the boot covers on before I climb or after I get in the stand depending on how many layers I have on my body. They have a pretty durable sole on them and are pretty compact to put in your pack on the way in. If it is going to be really cold(below 15) I will throw a hand warmer on top of my boot when I get in the stand. My brother has the icebreaker version of the boot covers and they work good as well but they are very bulky and not compact like the artic shield covers. Also another tip is to keep your boots loose on your feet and not tie the laces tight because it does cut down the circulation.

+2 on the arctic shield boot blankets. put them on as soon as you get into the stand. if your feet get cold, and then you put them on, they don't work. you need to hold the heat from walking in.

I like a 100 percent wool sock, loose fitting in an oversized boot. Keep in mind that a reason for cold feet is the transfer of cold from whatever you're standing on. A good cold weather boot has many layers between your feet and the ground. A thick mat or pad under your feet helps tremendously.

When you are that cold, its telling you to get out of the stand and hunt a different way….. sorry my usual rant of not camping in a stand for 3 months. Anyways, like said, thin wool then heavier wool sock in boot that is oversized for 2 socks. Also the over boots are great especially if you drop foot warmer into them. I've got 2000 gr Irish Setters boots that work great when its frigid. And movement every 30 min minimum to get blood moving. The other thing is keep rest of body warm. Keep head warm, I wear a Mad Bomber hat with real rabbit fur, forget the synthetic crap. And I wear a wool based thinsulate bibs and jacket late season. Super quite in the dead cold, and light colored to blend in with the winter woods better than the typical camo. I've sat all day at 15 below and its doable, but usually my ass is out of the stand, and still -hunting along a thermal thicket along lee side of ridge. Heck lot more fun.

Arctic shield boot covers over a good fluffy pair of house slippers with a couple of hand warmers in each for 5 years now. I've never found anything else as effective.

Thermacell makes some sort of battery operated foot warmer thing. It's basically an sole insert that you put in your boot. I think it operates by a remote. Has to work better than those stinking hand/feet warmers that go cold after 10 minutes of being in your boots!
It seems like the more layers of socks I have on, the less I can wiggle my toes, and the colder my feet get.

Not necessarily. I had a pair for about a week, they went back.

I decided to go with the Ice Breakers Boot Blankets instead of the arctic shields and rechargeable insoles. I've dealt with cold feet my entire hunting life and I was tired of it. It's the best $50.00 I've spent, and I don't have to charge them each day lol. I put them on in stand with a light pair of hiking boots and my feet are toasty warm all day. You can actually feel your feet start warming up as you slide them on and zip them up the back of your boot. I then take my outer layer of pants or hunting bibs and put them over the top of the boot blankets and slide them down as far as I can. Feet stay incredibly warm. I won't go hunting without them again.

I decided to go with the Ice Breakers Boot Blankets instead of the arctic shields and rechargeable insoles. I've dealt with cold feet my entire hunting life and I was tired of it. It's the best $50.00 I've spent, and I don't have to charge them each day lol. I put them on in stand with a light pair of hiking boots and my feet are toasty warm all day. You can actually feel your feet start warming up as you slide them on and zip them up the back of your boot. I then take my outer layer of pants or hunting bibs and put them over the top of the boot blankets and slide them down as far as I can. Feet stay incredibly warm. I won't go hunting without them again.
My father in law used the boot blankets and liked them. His only gripe was they were heavy. I think the baffin booties with the arctic shield covers with hand warmers would be the berries.

When it's that cold I hunt in a shootin house with heaters.
I have heard good reviews about these :
upload_2016-12-16_10-25-5.png

I've seen them at an Army Surplus store for $50-$60.

Insulated rubber boots come off and a pair of over boots go on and I my feet are never cold.
Heck I ever put them on a couple of times while in my Tree-Lounge stand, it was not easily done
but it made all the difference when the temps were in the single digits.

Back