CnC’s Tracking Journal

1. CNC, looking forward to your adventures. I never heard back from you on the other forum. Did you guys get a chance to run a UBT test this spring? If so, how did it go? I've been a fan of the kopov for some time, and nearly got one from Jeff a few years back...just have too many tracking dogs right now :)

I went to the national trackfest but I didn't run any tests.....Saw a lot of cool dogs though and met folks from all across the country. Yeah, I really like my Kopov. He's a great all around dog. Only knock on him is the black coat here in the south.

I went to the national trackfest but I didn't run any tests.....Saw a lot of cool dogs though and met folks from all across the country. Yeah, I really like my Kopov. He's a great all around dog. Only knock on him is the black coat here in the south.
Gotcha! I would like to see a kopov ace the UBT 2 test. As a cousin to the BMH, I suspect they would do quite well. I like that they are a little bit grittier than the BMH breed as a whole.

Kopovs really have an on/off switch about them....or at least mine does. He's the most laid back, friendly dog when were not tracking. He loves other people and often gets comments at the tracking get togethers about what a great personality he has. When its time to hunt though, he flips that switch and gets pretty gritty.

The only time Luna barks is when we're close to a live one.
The lady who owns the kennel that Elkie is out of asked me if Elkie barked on track, saying that she should when she gets older. Many hunters like that Elkie doesn't bark and scare deer away.

For the deer in my avatar, Elkie let out some barks that sounded like I'd stepped on her tail, and she did it about 20 yards from the still warm body of the buck.

Spurlaut is the German term for barking on scent. Most dogs only exhibit this when on hot scent or nearing the game. It can be useful to alert the hunter that you are approaching the animal that ,any still be alive. Sichtlaut is barking once game is seen or encountered. Both can be useful, but spurlaut is seen as a very good trait and a measure of scenting ability and prey drive.

Spurlaut is the German term for barking on scent. Most dogs only exhibit this when on hot scent or nearing the game. It can be useful to alert the hunter that you are approaching the animal that ,any still be alive. Sichtlaut is barking once game is seen or encountered. Both can be useful, but spurlaut is seen as a very good trait and a measure of scenting ability and prey drive.
Great explanation......thanks!

In some breeds, like my wachtelhund, spurlaut is deemed so important that dogs are required to give voice on fresh hare scent (without sighting the animal) in order to pass the tests required to benter bred.

I had Otis do that on a track last year and at the time it didn't dawn on me why he barked since there wasn't a deer there. I realized later as I thought more about it.... that the loud mouths I was tracking for (that couldn't be quiet even though I had repeatedly asked)....had likely jumped the deer just ahead of us and Otis let out those 2-3 barks due to the really hot scent. It was right on the edge of a big creek too which was also the property line, so the track ended there.

Took Otis and Shelby swimming today. Otis hasn't been in awhile and he acted like he had forgotten how or something. I thought I was gonna have to jump in and save him. He jumped in and froze up when it went too deep to touch. He barely had his head above water holding his front feet under his chin. I suppose he must have really been kicking with his back feet cause he was just bobbing there in one place before going under. Once he went under though he got them front feet working and came on back to shore. Needless to say, we are about to do some more water training soon somewhere that I can get in with him. Shelby on the other hand, swam like a duck. You can definitely tell she's a lab.

Last edited:
One month to go!!!! I've been working with Shelby with the Garmin Alpha....teaching her how to come back on the tone. When I get it out, Otis goes crazy and starts howling. He's ready to track......I can't wait!

Won't be long now! I wish we could track wounded/lost deer up with dogs here in Ok :(
It's looking like Oklahoma will legalize tracking with dogs in 2017. IN THE MEANTIME, local game wardens have been given the discretion to allow tracking. I'd track in Oklahoma with a game warden's approval.

One month to go!!!! I've been working with Shelby with the Garmin Alpha....teaching her how to come back on the tone. When I get it out, Otis goes crazy and starts howling. He's ready to track......I can't wait!

How do you teach them to come back at the sound of the tone? My dogs know "No" equals a low shock and they respond well. But I like the idea that if they are out of ear shot, they will come looking for me.

Back