Classroom tree project

catscratch

We started our tree project last week in my biology classes.

We did a study of plant response to environmental stimulus. Leaf color, plant height, vigor, etc. were correlated with stimuli that could have caused the responses. Then we discussed root types, specifically tap root vs fibrous roots and possible advantages to each in relation to climate and soil type. After that we went into Dr. Whitcomb's 4 inch rule and root pruning's affects on root type. We then addressed the hormonal control over root growth and how hormones are major contributors in most living systems.

Once that was done we shifted to the ecology of the forests dominated by the American Chestnut. Species dependent on American Chestnut were listed and discussed as well as human uses for them. How disease affected the Chestnut and everything using them was discussed in depth as well (the students were very interested in this and were fascinated with how many things were affected by the die-out of this tree).

After discussing the history of the American Chestnut we shifted to modern methods of bringing them back. We found 4 different organizations working on American Chestnuts to show that there is a strong effort to bring them back. Then we discussed 4 methods of being used to bring them back: inter-crossing surviving chestnuts, backcrossing, transgentics, and hypovirulence. This was a great introduction to genetics and some methods used to manipulate nature. Knowledge of these practices sparked debate about medicine, livestock, and some other stuff. Great discussion!

Finally, the students had a week to build or bring a pot to grow a tree in. They had to justify how their design would affect root growth and base it on the 4 in rule. No wrong answers here, just an idea or defense.

All seeds were planted in the same growing median and with the same volume of 500mL (some had less than 500mL, none were allowed more). Two seeds were available to chose from; Sawtooth or Chinese Chestnut. I have a flat of rootmaker 18's planted of each.

Plant growth will be measured on a weekly basis and each student will be involved in data collection as well as building their own spreadsheet and graphs.

Finally, root growth will be observed when we transplant to larger pots.

Students will take their trees home at the end of the project.

Special thanks to Wayne who provided the Chinese Chestnuts!

The growing median is not a recommended pro-mix, but a mix of stuff I found locally that was all advertised as rapid draining and with large chunks. I don't want moisture problems or root rot.
7c8b70a1b108ef725ebb3cda150b780c.jpg

Everything is numbered and labeled to ease in data collection and comparisons.
e54df3e14d73a617f3633476c40ec7bc.jpg

0f836b6b1a0f346e4926b71d465c405e.jpg

8173b1a034ca64e6a796c07b9506e84b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What are the ages of the kids? Looks like most just got a cup from somewhere or did they have to modify the inside to help with the root deal?

First thing - we need an award for the best introductory post for a thread. This post was a super read. Catscratch your class is blessed to have you leading it.

Second - my biology experience was less enjoyable than what these students will get to do. ;)

For those readings on this forum - Catscratch was the first class I helped. The class is North Carolina is the second class.

I would love to add a third class and a fourth class. It you know of a possible situation, refer them to me.

Catscratch has selected two of the top choices available to grow in containers for deer and wildlife. Sawtooth and Chinese Chestnut are second to none - excellent choices!

My reward - I get to rid along and enjoy this thread. Thanks Catscratch for your leadership.

Wayne

Last edited:
What are the ages of the kids? Looks like most just got a cup from somewhere or did they have to modify the inside to help with the root deal?

Freshmen and some older kids who still need a credit. Some students put a great deal of thought into creating a pot with an internal structure based on their research and discussions, some just showed up with a cup and pretty much no defense of their design.

Thanks guys.

Be interesting to see how many in the "cup show up group" get enthused and motivated as the process goes along. Some of your class will probably plant trees for wildlife as a result of this classroom project.

Lots of kids took them home last yr and have told me they are still alive. A few have asked if they could do the project again even though they aren't in the class this yr. Some of the less enthusiastic kids will get interested, some won't. Not everyone learns the same way (and at the same time) and interest in certain projects reflects this.

Cool project. I learned genus species names in high school biology.:rolleyes:
So did you discuss the likelihood of bringing back the american chestnut? A 15/16 cross?
I toured a research plot that Purdue was working on a couple years ago. Very interesting.

I have mostly seniors in my class( the 2nd one in NC), who at this point in the semester are getting senioritis pretty bad. Some of the students were extremely interested and already asking for extras to take home. Others are only interested in snapchat, twitter, and whatever else is on their cell phones. Can only do our best to motivate and inspire. I think i'm going to baby some over the summer, so that next fall we can plant them when classes start, and have them work backwards so to speak. Plant the seedlings, then grow their own, in hopes that seeing the results motivates them a little more.

I have mostly seniors in my class( the 2nd one in NC), who at this point in the semester are getting senioritis pretty bad. Some of the students were extremely interested and already asking for extras to take home. Others are only interested in snapchat, twitter, and whatever else is on their cell phones. Can only do our best to motivate and inspire. I think i'm going to baby some over the summer, so that next fall we can plant them when classes start, and have them work backwards so to speak. Plant the seedlings, then grow their own, in hopes that seeing the results motivates them a little more.
Senioritis sucks! No other way to put it.
Do you guys allow cell phones in the classroom?

School allows it, teachers can make own rules. We use alot of technology (online textbooks, online test and quizzes, kahoots, webquests) so most days they can use it to learn, but also becomes an easy distraction. I have tried lots of different methods from 0 cell phones no exceptions to free use. Still havent found a good plan that fits my class ( have onlevel, honors, AP, core and elective classes)

School allows it, teachers can make own rules. We use alot of technology (online textbooks, online test and quizzes, kahoots, webquests) so most days they can use it to learn, but also becomes an easy distraction. I have tried lots of different methods from 0 cell phones no exceptions to free use. Still havent found a good plan that fits my class ( have onlevel, honors, AP, core and elective classes)
We don't allow cell phone in the classroom, but like you we have online textbooks and do a lot of Internet research. The kids have chromebooks for their use. Some internet sites are blocked, some aren't (like youtube which can be a distraction for kids). I've found a combination of keeping them busy and putting their back to me to work best. For discussions their chromebooks are closed and they face the front of the room. For computer work the turn their chairs and face the back of the room. I can see everyone's screen at a glance and since I'm always walking around they never know if I'm sneaking up behind them or not. :)

We got phones out of the classroom when we stopped giving them back to kids. We only give confiscated phones back to a parent.

We tried the parent pick up, admin didnt back it. I thought i was only one who made em turn desks around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No school today due to city water issues (Possible bacterial contamination to the town's water supply. Administration couldn't figure out how to house a couple hundred kids for 8hrs, and NOT let them touch or drink any water.).
Anyway, it's been a week since the kids started this and almost all of the Sawtooth are showing germination while almost none of the Chinese Chestnuts show anything at all. Kids are smart and they talk, most knew before we started that Sawtooth were more "fun" per last yr's group. The one's who chose Chestnut were the one's who got into the history of the American Chestnut the most and want to be part of that.

Here is what the average Sawtooth looks like right now:
753f8b59465c69a0ced5cabe344cacd3.jpg

The average Chestnut:
25054b06e84ee5f35230df5cd58a4c34.jpg

A Chestnut I started before the class got a hold of them.
00166edf4ee4bd48e9b3bb8e3fae3399.jpg

DCO's that were started earlier also. They aren't officially part of the project but the kids like to see example of things to come. Help's with the downtime of waiting for measurable results.
a11b44f053f552e4d511ad84ef86376b.jpg

Last edited:
Back