Chinkapin Oak Acorns

mattpatt

Got my first chinkapin oak acorns today off a tree I grew from seed someone gave me eight years ago. These things sure are slow growing. This is the only two acorns it produced this year. Maybe it’ll have a better crop next year. I have plenty of other white oak species in area so pollination shouldn’t be a issue. What have been your experiences with Chinkapin (chinquapin) oak? Not sure if I’m spelling it right?

Matt

c9a05b1365afc715401c444f46040ad8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm thinking yes. They're big selling point is producing acorns early.
Pretty trees to boot.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking yes. They're big selling point is producing acorns early.
Pretty trees to boot.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

It certainly is a pretty tree. Nice pretty dark green leaves. I was thinking that eight years was a little long but I guess for a oak it’s not bad.

Matt

I have them native on my place. Absolutely beautiful and unique trees! They can grow some crazy trunks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thick on my place here in the calcareous soil of the blackland prairie in sw AR. They are slooow growing. But, they tolerate the high ph better than any other oak. I have never grown one from seed

I’ve planted several acorns from Chinquapin oak trees I found at work. From what I’ve found searching the internet, 8 years is great. I hope mine will be productive in 8 years. This is their 2nd growing season. Since then I found out about the dwarf chinquapin oak, and have put my effort in them, they produce annually.

It certainly is a pretty tree. Nice pretty dark green leaves. I was thinking that eight years was a little long but I guess for a oak it’s not bad.

Matt

I grew my DCOs from nuts in rootmakers. I had a couple nuts the second year in the field when they were still small shrubs. I find that sometimes nut production is not linear. You may get a few very early on and then the tree reverts to more vegetative growth and then begins producing in more volume. I would think 8 years would be reasonable for significant production.

I grew my DCOs from nuts in rootmakers. I had a couple nuts the second year in the field when they were still small shrubs. I find that sometimes nut production is not linear. You may get a few very early on and then the tree reverts to more vegetative growth and then begins producing in more volume. I would think 8 years would be reasonable for significant production.

Did you mean DCO or Chinkapin?

A Chinkapin Oak can take upwards to ten year or more to produce. A DCO will produce in four but won’t have many acorns because the tree is so small. It still needs time to grow and mature.

Matt

I've found that chinkapin oak can put on acorns when young under good growing conditions.

I have some trees that are 10 years old now, over 20' tall shelling out a pile of acorns and have been for a while now.

A chinkapin oak at my house is 8' tall with plenty of acorns this year.

Did you mean DCO or Chinkapin?

A Chinkapin Oak can take upwards to ten year or more to produce. A DCO will produce in four but won’t have many acorns because the tree is so small. It still needs time to grow and mature.

Matt

Good thing to point out. Mine were Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks. One would expect them to produce faster which is why a lot of habitat guys use them. For me, they were just an interesting experiment. We have plenty of acorns from native trees in our area. I had some extra capacity one year, so I tried some DCOs and PawPaws for fun.

Last edited:
Back