Chestnut Seedling Growth Has Stalled

meyerske

My chestnut seedling growth has pretty much stalled for the past 4-6 weeks. I had put one in a larger pot but there was no change with that one either. I'm trying to not over water them, as I've killed some in the past doing that. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Meyerske,

What size pot is it in now and how long has it been in that pot. The roots of a chestnut grow deep and long.

What are the size of the leaves on the seedling in comparison to your palm of your hand. The stalled growth can be due a number of factors. Roots also need oxygen and some containers limit that as do some growing mediums.

How often a person needs to water depends upon the air temperatures, amount of sun and how well the medium drains in the growing container.

I would like to help but need more facts first.

wbpdeer@att.net

Starting trees in the middle of the summer can be challenging. I planted over 20 nuts several months ago, and 3 weeks ago I transplanted 6 of the biggest 12 inch trees to their permanent spot in the ground in a 10" grow tube and 3 foot wire ring 4 foot high. One of those died from transplanting, the others grew faster than before, go figure.
The remaining 10 or so are still growing in quart containers, I have these beside my east barn wall where they get the morning sun but not the afternoon heat. I had them out in full sun for a while but decided that they were doing better in partial shade.
I suggest trying partial shade in the heat of the summer because this is closer to their natural environment. I'd water then every day, but only a limited amount, like watering house plants.
f1cb5d18caf583b59a1b47183c60dd5b.jpg

My newly transplanted chestnut trees seem to have acclimated and are growing well. Once a nut has started I like to transplant them to their permanent home, if properly protected they usually do well. This time I lost 1 out of 6 in the first month.
da1066a88be0067dee737d49fd09aee5.jpg
d709ee84317d843252df988f87bebc1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They are all in 8 inch Rootmaker pots except for one that I put in a 3 gallon pot. I've been keeping them inside but in front of a glass patio door. I lightly water them about every other day. The leaves vary greatly in size, as they are different varieties. I occasionally put them outside in full sun.

They are all in 8 inch Rootmaker pots except for one that I put in a 3 gallon pot. I've been keeping them inside but in front of a glass patio door. I lightly water them about every other day. The leaves vary greatly in size, as they are different varieties. I occasionally put them outside in full sun.

Got a photo so we can see your seedlings? How long since they put on top growth - I am assuming they were started from a chestnut placed in growing medium.

wbpdeer

I've

You have AC inside? What is the temperature in there? How big are the trees in the 8 inch pots?

Yes, A/C inside 74-75 degrees. The seedlings vary from 10 to 20 inches tall, depending on the type of chestnut, I think. How often should I water them? Should I put them out all day in direct sun? Some leaves turned slightly yellow after a heavy watering, so I think I over watered them that day. The green seems to be returning to the leaves. The day I over watered was well into the growth stall.

Hey Meyerske,

When you water the chestnuts, does any water come out of the bottom of your container? My question pertains to drainage. We need the water to get out and we need oxygen to get into the roots. I am trying to determine if this is occuring in your containers.

How many scaffolds of leaves do you have on your seedling?

wbpdeer

Hey Meyerske,

When you water the chestnuts, does any water come out of the bottom of your container? My question pertains to drainage. We need the water to get out and we need oxygen to get into the roots. I am trying to determine if this is occuring in your containers.

How many scaffolds of leaves do you have on your seedling?

wbpdeer
No, I don't water them that heavily. I killed some seedlings last year by over watering.

Over time,you will develop a "feel"for what works

There is no "one size fits all" and successful techniques vary by region

For example , in east texas, I grow in rootmaker systems with well drained , soilless media

I couldn't over water if i tried!!!!

Further,full sun would bake them

When transplanting in the fall, I must find a north facing sandy slope

i killed a lotta trees along the way, but i also have a lot producing now that were started from seed in 2016!!!

bill

Back