Chestnut Production?

That affects the number that germinate. I thing Wayne had his in for 90 days and I had mine in cold stratification for 60 days. He got well over 90% (can't recall exact numbers_ and I got in the 70s% germination. Keep in mind you don't start the count when you put them in the fridge. It starts when you add dampness to the medium. Without the right moisture content, in the cold, they kind of go into suspended animation.
I kept them in a plastic baggie with a damp paper towel. I had to remove a total of 5 nuts over the winter b/c of molding.

On the same note, none of the direct seeded nuts have begun top growth either. Neither oaks nor chestnuts, so I’m not worried as of yet, just curious.

On the same note, none of the direct seeded nuts have begun top growth either. Neither oaks nor chestnuts, so I’m not worried as of yet, just curious.
Given your RMs are outside, I would guess they get similar light to the direct seeded ones. The medium would be roughly at air temperature which should be somewhat warmer than soil temp, so the RMs may start a bit sooner, but I suspect not much. My charts above were done indoors so the temperatures were much more controlled. I had small indoor greenhouses at the time with shop lights and a small heater to control temp an humidity. I would guess nuts started outside would be somewhat slower. I think top growth (vs root development) is more driven by temp and light. Plants don't want to start that too early and then get a late cold snap that kills the top growth.

Given your RMs are outside, I would guess they get similar light to the direct seeded ones. The medium would be roughly at air temperature which should be somewhat warmer than soil temp, so the RMs may start a bit sooner, but I suspect not much. My charts above were done indoors so the temperatures were much more controlled. I had small indoor greenhouses at the time with shop lights and a small heater to control temp an humidity. I would guess nuts started outside would be somewhat slower. I think top growth (vs root development) is more driven by temp and light. Plants don't want to start that too early and then get a late cold snap that kills the top growth.
It’s SO tempting to pull some soil/medium back to see if the root is beginning to develop, but I’ve not given in to the urge to satisfy my curiosity.

I grow outside. I don’t know about yall but I was looking at the forecast for next week but not much is going to germinate with highs in the mid 60s. I think there are a couple of days where the temps are in the 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grow outside. I don’t know about yall but I was looking at the forecast for next week but not much is going to germinate with highs in the mid 60s. I think there are a couple of days where the temps are in the 70s.

We’ve been pretty cool as well Matt, I thought that might be slowing everything down some, hoping in fact, that was the issue.

I have 9 RM 18 trays that I started outdoors mid february

Sawtooth,live oak,white oak ,DCO,chinkapin oak

All had radicles

starting to see top growth DCO,sawtooth,and white oak

bill

We’ve been pretty cool as well Matt, I thought that might be slowing everything down some, hoping in fact, that was the issue.

They’ll put on top growth but it’ll be much slower. Just wish it would hurry up and decide to warm on up a little.

Have any of you guys been fertilizing your bigger trees? I usually spread some 10-10-10 or 13-13-13, if I can find it @ 1lb. per 1” of trunk diameter btw. In case anyone was wondering.

Anyway the last couple of years, my daughter has been showing rabbits in Spring for her FFA project in school. So I have just started using rabbit manure and it seems to be working fine. It is extremely high in N-P-K and is considered a “cold” manure as it doesn’t need to be composted and can be applied directly to plants or in this case, trees. Other manures such as chicken and cattle are considered “hot” manures and must be composted before they can be used as fertilizer.

You can also brew a “tea” which can then be applied to both the foliage or poured around the tree which is supposed to cause the plants to take in the nutrients faster but I just throw the manure out with a bucket and let Mother Nature water it in for me.

Here’s a pic of my son holding one of the furry rascals…
9d70d7030ce724972364db91f52fb333.jpg

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have any of you guys been fertilizing your bigger trees? I usually spread some 10-10-10 or 13-13-13, if I can find it @ 1lb. per 1” of trunk diameter btw. In case anyone was wondering.

Anyway the last couple of years, my daughter has been showing rabbits in Spring for her FFA project in school. So I have just started using rabbit manure and it seems to be working fine. It is extremely high in N-P-K and is considered a “cold” manure as it doesn’t need to be composted and can be applied directly to plants or in this case, trees. Other manures such as chicken and cattle are considered “hot” manures and must be composted before they can be used as fertilizer.

You can also brew a “tea” which can then be applied to both the foliage or poured around the tree which is supposed to cause the plants to take in the nutrients faster but I just throw the manure out with a bucket and let Mother Nature water it in for me.

Matt

Cute!

My neighbor boys are taking their rabbits to a hotel lobby for Easter. The manager thought it would be a nice Easter attraction.

The only fertilization I've done on my chestnuts is with Osmocote and MicroMax when they are in containers. Mine are all wildlife trees planted in too high volume to provide care for. So, once my trees are planted, they have to produce on their own.

I don't know how chestnuts respond to fertilization, but it sure can't hurt for folks who are babying a few trees.

Matt

We have some friends who raise rabbits, we throw the droppings on the garden and some smaller foodplots too.

Back