Check this out!

THE LLC

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since I was deer hunting, I'll stick it here. I had the Georgia Forestry Commission clear a spot about an acre in size for me back in July. The plan is to let it grow up in broom sedge and other natural plants as a south-facing bedding area---but also as a good ambush spot. Last Thursday my son and I went over there and put up a new ladder stand watching the area but forgot two screws that held leg sections together. So, after hunting yesterday morning, I rode back there to put them in. On the way back across the cleared area on my four wheeler I looked down and happened to see this.

Spear Point as Found 10-12-19.JPG

The serrated edge caught my attention. After seeing that I thought, "man that'll be awesome if it's whole", but figured no way with the dozer being in there. So, just in case though, I videoed the "recovery". Here is what I pulled out. Friend who is big into hunting these says it is at least 8000 years old. So, just think, that thing laid there for EIGHT THOUSAND YEARS before I touched it yesterday.

Spear Point 10-12-19.JPG

The serrated edge caught my attention. After seeing that I thought, "man that'll be awesome if it's whole", but figured no way with the dozer being in there. So, just in case though, I videoed the "recovery". Here is what I pulled out. Friend who is big into hunting these says it is at least 8000 years old. So, just think, that thing laid there for EIGHT THOUSAND YEARS before I touched it yesterday.

View attachment 17222
Very cool.

My one son used to knap heads for shows. He also spent most weekends out looking for sites, throughout South Carolina, where Native Indians used to gather to make their flint heads. He has found a few but none that pristine or old. He even knapped a couple dozen heads that were used to make the arrows in the movie "Dances With Wolves"

LOL. That one wasn't walking! Jack, show it to your son and see what he has to say about it.
My son checked it out and is very impressed. He believes it is of Clovis origins. That means it's from 3000 to maybe 12000 years old. Doesn't narrow it down much though. It's not an arrowhead. Far too big. A small spearhead and exrtemely good condition. Can you send a picture of the other side? notice how it has been thinned where the shaft would be connected? It should have a "hollow" just like it o n the other side. It appears to be about 3 inches long. Is that close? HE would be out there sifting through he whole area because it appears to not have been used so the area may have had an encampment in the area and this just got left behind. Could be a lot more. Do you know of any flint or chert in the area? A local geologist could answer that question although both were trade items among the native tribes so it could have come from hundreds of miles away. A spearhead like that would have been considered quite valuable to them though so they don't just get left laying around.

upload_2019-10-14_19-54-15.png
Looking at this graph, it certainly suggests a Clovis influence which would put it at very old. The fact that it doesn't show any wear, the little nipples still being evident, tells me that it's very "new" and probably dropped in transit or part of a larger settlement. There could be more buried right there, just a few inches under the soil since this blade doesn't show any significant wear.

Here is a picture of this point plus two smaller ones I found in a wheat field within 100 yards of the spear point. One was found in 2008 the other in 2010 within 30 feet of one another. These are all chert, and that is NOT a native material in Madison or Elbert County, GA.

Madison Chert Points.JPG

This is another picture that shows a reddish chert point that I found in Glascock County, GA back in 2002. It is the one to the left of the big one.

Glascock Chert Point.JPG

You've got my son kinda worked up. When I told him it was found after doing some dozer work he wanted to know if the dozer was leveling any kind of mounds or high areas. Points of that quality were prized and would not have just been discarded. There could be a burial site or some other remnants that aren't very apparent today. He'd suggest doing some searches and even sifting through any area that seems to have been disturbed lower than what the dozer did. That may not be possible, but it'd be worth spending a little time on. Many times, the males would sit around for days just making heads. An old campfire site or a shallow grave might be dicsernable.

Back