Chainsaw for Hinging?

I have an 18" Craftsman that is 25 years old but I was recently gifted a small 14" echo. For hinge cutting I have started using the 14 but most of my hinge cuts are smaller trees. The lighter the chainsaw the longer I can work. I really like the smaller chainsaw but always take them both in case I need something a little better.
todd

Just curious- do many here use a handsaw? Using an arborist's saw would be the ultimate in a light weight option. I wouldn't tackle big trees with one, but it would be effective for small diameter trees.

You must be in better shape that me. I have a bad right shoulder. Surgery in a couple weeks. Hey, maybe I can work in some hinge cutting with a hand saw as physical therapy!

Just curious- do many here use a handsaw? Using an arborist's saw would be the ultimate in a light weight option. I wouldn't tackle big trees with one, but it would be effective for small diameter trees.
I use a silky handsaw. It makes quick work of anything 6" and under.

Son bought me a Stilh pro 260 few years ago w/ 16 in bar. Only thing I use anymore. Light, easy start. Have cut everything from twigs to 18in DBH. I found out one time that it cuts a lot faster if you don't put the chain on backwards !:rolleyes: I carry hand saw on ATV that I sometimes use if chainsaw not with me, but personally I feel that is why God made things that run on fuel, heck of a lot easier.

I have a husquvarna (sp?) 440 and a STHL farm boss 291 - like them both, they both run great and its nice to have two saws.

What is everyone's preferred chainsaw for hinging? Size?

I have a Stihl MS290 farm boss and Husqvarna 240 (cheap). I hinge cut a few thousand trees last year..... I started with the MS290 and finished with the Husqvarna 240. I take the Husqvarna 240 out for those projects now and leave the MS290 in the truck in case I have anything to large for the 240. The 240 drawbacks are smaller gas tank, shorter bar and less power. But it is light, easy to start, and is mobile friendly because it's light. I found I don't need all that power when I typically just make one hinge cut, and then trim up the branches. When I need to fill it up every 45-minutes to an hour it gives me a much needed break. I've only taken a few trees down with the MS290 because I needed the MS290 longer bar.

The lighter the saw the better. The salesman tried selling me a better chainsaw with "steel gears" for another like $400. I said I just need it for trimming trees, glad I saved the money.

I hinge cut a 1000 foot screen today and used 6 tanks of gas in my Stihl MS 170...

97f20f88260c23aa8f071e6006959b85.jpg

7ed455c056a5ecc9e091e0ccccb29703.jpg

5a79e91988b5b8d42b918921da71b5b6.jpg

87e362bf91179656710629744860c7c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a stihl MS 250 for all my saw work. If I can't do what I want with this saw I shouldn't be messing with it.

Thanks for all the responses. I was using a Stihl MS310 which has a 18" bar but is just to heavy for hinging. I have 2 other bigger saw for my firewood cutting so I'm going to sell this one and get a smaller one.

I'm with dogghr on this one as I'm using something that runs on gas.

Kubota you sure cut some good sized trees with that little saw but as much as I would like to have one I think for as much firewood I cut I'm going with a little bigger saw.

Jbird I was thinking of getting the MS250 or the MS271 but haven't made up my mind.The 250 weighs about 2.5 pds which may be a determining factor.

I only have 1 saw and I will say that even my 250 can get heavy if you are doing a lot of hinging. A small "trimming/limbing" saw would be a great asset if you need one. I use my saw for many different tasks so I need the size for some larger tasks.

Back