Buckwheat seeding rate

weekender21

I'm considering 2 options for a 1/4 acre stretch of logging road I want to convert into a linear food plot. I'm going to be on the property the first week of July and want to either:

1) drag and broadcast buckwheat that will be over seeded with WR and clover between September and October.

2) clean up the road in preparation to plant WR and clover this fall, skipping the BW planting.

I don't have huge expectations for this initial planting, just want to get something down to start building soil conditions. I will add lime as well. I'm pretty confident I can get a small cereal grain like WR to grow but I'm not sure about the buckwheat, could be just wasting my time.

I've shared pictures of this road before. It doesn't look like much but my confidence has been slightly boosted with the success of my ryegrass/white dutch clover a few weeks ago on my access road. The 5"+ of rain probably didn't hurt! This section I plan to plant with BW and later with WR and clover is in the same condition.

fullsizeoutput_10f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_111.jpeg

Plant buckwheat at about 50 pounds per acre. This is my first year planting it and so far I’m satisfied with the crop and may plant another spot or two of buckwheat in the next couple of weeks

Did you prep the soil in any way? I won't be tilling but may decide to drag a harrow to promote a little better seed to soil contact. That's one reason I'm considering waiting until this fall and starting the plot with WR, the larger BW seeds might be hard to get started on my roads.

I have two plot with buckwheat. One had no soil prep. I just broadcasted the seed and packed it down with my truch. The second one I used a drag harrow. Both plots are doing well

Did you prep the soil in any way? I won't be tilling but may decide to drag a harrow to promote a little better seed to soil contact. That's one reason I'm considering waiting until this fall and starting the plot with WR, the larger BW seeds might be hard to get started on my roads.
I think it should be covered in some way. Either with a light till then pack or mulch (if you have it) via throw and mow.
I spread bw yesterday and birds were in it as I was broadcasting. Cowbird was 10 from me.

I only have about 1/4 acre to plant, It won’t be a huge loss even if the birds eat it all.

If I do get the chance to broadcast BW I’ll lime too. Either way I’ll have a head start for a fall planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I think it should be covered in some way. Either with a light till then pack or mulch (if you have it) via throw and mow.
I spread bw yesterday and birds were in it as I was broadcasting. Cowbird was 10 from me.
Agree it should be covered. My atv was broke so I spread it anyway knowing there would be some loss to birds. My trail cam showed the turkeys feeding pretty heavily on the plot. Here is a photo of the plot and it seems to be doing okay

Back