Buckwheat following Oats?

Chipdasqrrl

I planted Oats this Spring as a cover crop, and I plan on tilling it in and planting buckwheat a week later. The Oats are doing a good job keeping the weeds down, but will the allelopathic residue have an effect on buckwheat? I also plan on planting brassicas after the buckwheat.

Is this all getting done this year/season?... seems like you really enjoy seeding. Maybe forget the buckwheat and let the oats go until you want to plant your brassica's. Or are you planning on top seeding brassica's into the buckwheat?

Well it's only a 1/2 acre plot, so I don't mind doing this all in one season. My main goals of this are to build the soil and minimize the weeds. I was planning on lightly tilling the buckwheat before the brassicas

In Northern Michigan, that's too much going on in too short a period of time. Oats are one choice for a cover crop, but if your goal is to build soil (and you're starting with a sandy, low-pH soil like so much of N. MI) buckwheat is a better choice. I hate to say this, but you really want oats OR buckwheat, not both in the same spring plot. For your best results in the fall, plant BW around 6/15 and either throw n mow or lightly till for an 8/15 planting of winter rye, oats, radish, clovers and chicory.

In Northern Michigan, that's too much going on in too short a period of time. Oats are one choice for a cover crop, but if your goal is to build soil (and you're starting with a sandy, low-pH soil like so much of N. MI) buckwheat is a better choice. I hate to say this, but you really want oats OR buckwheat, not both in the same spring plot. For your best results in the fall, plant BW around 6/15 and either throw n mow or lightly till for an 8/15 planting of winter rye, oats, radish, clovers and chicory.

Maybe I didn't explain the situation well enough, the oats were planted as soon as the snow melted and are now about to form seeds, which is when I'll till it. I will then plant buckwheat, and it will have well over a month to grow before it's time to plant brassicas. All I'm really worried about is whether the allelopathic effects of oat residue will hurt the growth of buckwheat

I would say spray the oats if you're really worried about it, but my suspicion is the BW will germinate and grow just fine. Also, BW responds very well to a throw-n-mow approach, but if you till lightly, you should be in good shape, either way.

Till under the oats why they are still green. Good green manure for the soil and plant the buckwheat. The buckwheat will do just fine.

IIRC the allelopathic properties of oats and rye, especially rye, is more towards other grasses, because BW is a broadleaf, it shouldn't have a problem, but I wouldn't till up the oats, just roll it down after spreading or drilling the BW. I don't have much experience with it but it seems like BW alone has a nasty habit of leaving the soil more prone to erosion because it really loosens the soil up.

If the buckwheat I just planted loosens my sandy soil up anymore than it is I could sell it as play sand. I'm hoping my buckwheat will help shade some of the unwanted stuff out but mostly hope it helps build my OM.

I have never heard of any plant that leaves soil prone to erosion, but I can't see how that is relevant when you'll have more plants growing almost immediately. Farmers and conventional tillage cause soil erosion. Growing plants are the antidote to that sickness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If the buckwheat I just planted loosens my sandy soil up anymore than it is I could sell it as play sand. I'm hoping my buckwheat will help shade some of the unwanted stuff out but mostly hope it helps build my OM.
Sandy erosion prone soil? Less tillage and spraying, more diversity in cover crops is needed. I wouldn't try fancy food plot plantings until you get your soil stabilized with more organic matter to help you retain and keep your lime and fertilizer from leaching away. Unwanted stuff can actually be good stuff in your situation because it provides OM. Throw and mow and notill planting can help get back to a healthy field.

://www.greencoverseed.com/product/1075/

Look under the disadvantages. I believe it's more prevalent in pure buckwheat stands
"Buckwheat planted alone can increase soil erosion due to how loose it makes the top soil and its low C:N ratio doesn't leave much residue."

This is looking at a food plot like a farmer; since you'll be planting an immediate follow-on crop, there is no need whatsoever to worry about erosion. Buckwheat is planted extensively on very sandy soils every year, because it is one of the few crops that will grow there. Follow it up with a winter rye-based fall mix, using a throw-n-mow approach, and you'll have zero issues with erosion. That would only be a concern if you were leaving the soil bare, after harvest, for months...the way farmers often do. (No offense to any farmers, but food plots are managed differently.)

Sandy erosion prone soil? Less tillage and spraying, more diversity in cover crops is needed. I wouldn't try fancy food plot plantings until you get your soil stabilized with more organic matter to help you retain and keep your lime and fertilizer from leaching away. Unwanted stuff can actually be good stuff in your situation because it provides OM. Throw and mow and notill planting can help get back to a healthy field.

Mennonite,
My response was in reply to the one directly previous stating buckwheat could cause erosion issues but loosening the soil. I am not having erosion issues. I have sandy soil. It is very loose. I didn't even spray this spring like I have in the past. I just planted the buckwheat/sunflower mix into what was growing because of the daily usage I am already getting from deer from the clover and "weeds" followed by brush hogging the rye at about 12". I should not get the erosion. What I do hope to get though is a healthier soil over time due to changing from tillage to throw and mow. Time will tell all as to whether or not my actions are in accordance to my goals or not.

Mennonite,
My response was in reply to the one directly previous stating buckwheat could cause erosion issues but loosening the soil. I am not having erosion issues. I have sandy soil. It is very loose. I didn't even spray this spring like I have in the past. I just planted the buckwheat/sunflower mix into what was growing because of the daily usage I am already getting from deer from the clover and "weeds" followed by brush hogging the rye at about 12". I should not get the erosion. What I do hope to get though is a healthier soil over time due to changing from tillage to throw and mow. Time will tell all as to whether or not my actions are in accordance to my goals or not.
It sounds like you are on the right track to build up your soil. I've planted buckwheat and didn't notice any soil loosening. It's roots actually help hold the soil in place.

Greetings from Northern Mi, Chipdasqrrl.
This is from www.sare/org.: Allelopathic
(naturally occurring herbicidal) compounds in oat roots and residue can hinder weed growth for a few weeks. These compounds also can slow germination or root growth of some subsequent crops, such as lettuce, cress, timothy, rice, wheat and peas. Minimize this effect by waiting three weeks after oat killing before seeding a susceptible crop, or by following with an alternate crop. Rotary hoeing or other pre-emerge mechanical weeding of solo-seeded oats can improve annual broadleaf control.

I think that your buckwheat planting following the oats will be fine.

For Rickey, I have one plot that is so sandy that I have called it beach. Last year, short version I planted Sudangrass and buckwheat in the field. I read that mowing sudangrass at 3-4 feet increases root development 5-8 times. Just what I wanted. Never had to mow as it only got about 1 foot high, somebody was nibbling some. I followed with winter wheat and was very pleased with spring growth. This year I planted sudangrass, buckwheat, timothy and Arvika peas (as a test on the peas). I hope that I get enough growth to have to mow. I guess that depends on the peas.

Greetings from Northern Mi, Chipdasqrrl.
This is from www.sare/org.: Allelopathic
(naturally occurring herbicidal) compounds in oat roots and residue can hinder weed growth for a few weeks. These compounds also can slow germination or root growth of some subsequent crops, such as lettuce, cress, timothy, rice, wheat and peas. Minimize this effect by waiting three weeks after oat killing before seeding a susceptible crop, or by following with an alternate crop. Rotary hoeing or other pre-emerge mechanical weeding of solo-seeded oats can improve annual broadleaf control.

I think that your buckwheat planting following the oats will be fine.

For Rickey, I have one plot that is so sandy that I have called it beach. Last year, short version I planted Sudangrass and buckwheat in the field. I read that mowing sudangrass at 3-4 feet increases root development 5-8 times. Just what I wanted. Never had to mow as it only got about 1 foot high, somebody was nibbling some. I followed with winter wheat and was very pleased with spring growth. This year I planted sudangrass, buckwheat, timothy and Arvika peas (as a test on the peas). I hope that I get enough growth to have to mow. I guess that depends on the peas.
Good info. I went ahead and tilled the oats (they were knee high), limed and planted the buckwheat immediately after. It's already gotten plenty of rain, it should turn out well.

Back