Bucket list help

Bullwinkle

Ive always wanted to take a black bear, Elk, moose, grizzly and Cape buffalo with the bow

I've gotten 2 black bears, 2 Elk with a bow and my second moose hunt lined up this fall.

If I don't score on a moose I'm going again. If I score I am switching focus to grizzly and Cape buffalo. 2018 I have a bow hunt for Elk lined up in WY.

Has anyone gone grizzly hunting or Cape buffalo with a bow and can give me advice on a camp?

Alaska Arctic Adventures would take you for grizz. A reputable outfit, one of my carpenters guides for them every fall. They don't take as many hunters and focus more on providing a quality hunt rather than quantity. Often a guide for every hunter. Success rate is very good.

Greetings from Tulum and happy Father's Day to all!!! I've never hunted grizzly but I've been way to close on occasions while sheep hunting. If using a bow I'd certainly want someone close with a bazooka.

I have hunted Cape buffalo several times. I always used a .375 mag and was quite happy with my choice. Very intimidating when they are so close you can hear their stomach gurgling but can't see them. I can also testify they are prone to charging when ticked off. As the old saying goes. ' they look at you like you owe them money'. Good luck

One last thought on both grizzly and buff. You know how a deer or elk might run a few hundred yards when shot with bow? Just remember the above critters will likely come for whatever hurt them covering that distance. Gets interesting if they are only 15-20 yds away

One last thought on both grizzly and buff. You know how a deer or elk might run a few hundred yards when shot with bow? Just remember the above critters will likely come for whatever hurt them covering that distance. Gets interesting if they are only 15-20 yds away

That's the trill. You should hear the stories at moose camp. I don't know if I'm strong enough to pull a bow necessary for cape. May need to do it with a rifle. I've got a friend who's taken 9 Cape, claims it's the ultimate rush

Grizzly I think is doable with a 70 lb draw.

Alaska Arctic Adventures would take you for grizz. A reputable outfit, one of my carpenters guides for them every fall. They don't take as many hunters and focus more on providing a quality hunt rather than quantity. Often a guide for every hunter. Success rate is very good.
Tx, I'll contact them

You can give Frank Smith with International Trophy Outfitters a call for any of those hunts. 607-644-8597, Tell him Shayne with Blizzard Ridge sent you.

Found out a lot today guys

Recommended draw weight Cape buffalo -100lb. Too much for me

Got some advice to do Africa last. Easy bow hunt physically. One you can do late in your bow hunting life

Found a reasonable physical mountain goat bow hunt

Found a hunt where you can hunt caribou and take grizzly and you only pay if you get a grizzly

Found a grizzly hunt combined with the possibility of 3 black bears on same hunt

I've got a lot to think about. Thanks guys

Did a photo safari in South Africa back in 2008. Been to a lot of places throughout the world. Nothing compared to the bush in S. Africa. It was breathtaking and amazing. Alaska is incredible as well. Headed up there next month on a fly fishing gig. Keep us posted on what you line up.

Will do. I like booking trips 2 years out, get 2 years of dreaming and normally the week you want. If I don't score on a moose I'm going again. If I get one I'm booking something in Oct

Fly fishing is my second passion. Are you going for steelhead and salmon? I've got an Atlantic salmon trip lined up next month. Last time I got a 16lber on a dry fly. I'll never forget that boil. A 150" experience in the fly fishing world. Hit my own bomber which was ready cool. I've been tying all winter to get ready

Grizzly hunting is serious stuff. I have a relative who guides in Alaska and is in fantastic shape(says he has to be just to do his job). Told me 1 of his many hunting experiences was guiding with an older gentleman that found a brown bear and was being charged by the bear! That client froze! His guide was in a less than perfect position when this happened and admitted he was crazy lucky to make a killing shot on the charging bear to save the client. He said he got a really good tip from that client(would hope so). He said the biggest issue with clients is that they usually are not in good enough shape to walk where they need to get to the best area for brown bear. He guides based on clients ability and conditioning and many times guys think they are ready but can't do it. Just a heads up! He was on one of the primos episodes and said everything they hunted went just like you wrote a script for it. Good luck where ever you end up hunting brown bear.

Follow up on my previous post---The guide I'm talking about is steve athman and he lived in Kodiak Alaska. He is a true pro. jmho.

Grizzly hunting is serious stuff. I have a relative who guides in Alaska and is in fantastic shape(says he has to be just to do his job). Told me 1 of his many hunting experiences was guiding with an older gentleman that found a brown bear and was being charged by the bear! That client froze! His guide was in a less than perfect position when this happened and admitted he was crazy lucky to make a killing shot on the charging bear to save the client. He said he got a really good tip from that client(would hope so). He said the biggest issue with clients is that they usually are not in good enough shape to walk where they need to get to the best area for brown bear. He guides based on clients ability and conditioning and many times guys think they are ready but can't do it. Just a heads up! He was on one of the primos episodes and said everything they hunted went just like you wrote a script for it. Good luck where ever you end up hunting brown bear.
He wasn't "guiding him" he was using the other guy as "bait"! Sorry - hunting things that can easily kill you with a bow is not my idea of a good time. Good thing to be on a bucket list....because it may just lead to you kicking the bucket! I want a rifle....scratch that....a bazooka!

Back