Brassicas day 21

We have some rain coming tonight so I went down to fertilize. I didn’t spread the full amount since the lower end of the plot has more shade and the leaves are still wet. I only made 1 pass over them and realized.
I noticed the lower end is at least twice the size of the upper end. I’m assuming it’s from leaching down hill. They are probably 8” tall on day 21! Where the upper end is 4-5”.
It’s my first time planting brassicas and I can see I went a little too heavy on the seed but I’ll know for next time.
How do they look to the experts ?
Image1629732071.388249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I’m far from an expert but they look good to me. I do like a little more space between plants, but you already know that. Extra urea will probably help with the heavier seeding. When I’ve seeded too heavy in the past, they just don’t get as tall and the bulbs don’t get as big, but come December, the deer don’t seem to mind!

I’m far from an expert but they look good to me. I do like a little more space between plants, but you already know that. Extra urea will probably help with the heavier seeding. When I’ve seeded too heavy in the past, they just don’t get as tall and the bulbs don’t get as big, but come December, the deer don’t seem to mind!
I like a thick stand because the brassica seems to withstand browsing and keep the weeds at bay better than thin stands.

Definitely heavy. If the deer get in them early enough they will thin things out and it’ll work out well. Some places they ignore them the first year and you might see some discoloration and stunted growth. Looks good though, very good first attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it looks ok. The area is all forest, no agricultural ground within 60 miles. I’m hoping the deer will hit them this year but I am skeptical with the amount I have read on it taking a year or two to get the deer used to them.
That being said the deer numbers are very low with a whopping 3 does that live there and usually 3-4 bucks that you don’t see much of until the rut lol.

If they do happen to hammer them this winter I’m thinking about planting oats or something similar in the spring and rotate the whole plot into brassica this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back