BOB food plot mixes

j-bird

I don;t know if this belongs here but the boys will move it if needed ......and besides this thread was lonely. I typically shy away from BOB type food plot mixes, but my "dealer" was not available so I had to find a way to get my fix! BOB seed mixes tend to have an odd mixture of stuff and since I was backed into a corner I figured I would share what I bought and the contents of each mix.
BOB seed.jpg
Evolved Harvest - Seven Card Stud $17.98 (10lbs - 1/4 acre bag):
52.8% cayuse oats
23.4% forerunner triticale
9.8% nutrigreen peas
2.8% barkant turnip
1% daikon radish
1% antler chicory

Evolved Harvest - Winter PZ $17.98 (10lbs - 1/4 acre bag):
34.9% cayuse oats
29.4% nutrigreen winter pea
24.7% forerunner triticale
4.9% barduro red clover

Antler king - Honey Hole $19.98 (3lb - 1/2 acre bag):
32.9% trophy rape
19.7% dwarf essex rape
6.6% purple top turnip
3.3% seven top turnip
3.3% winfred rape

I have planted my share of bob blends and always had great germination with them. You do pay a lot more but for smaller plots they fill a nice niche. Those blends should do great for ya.

todd

I have one plot that is only 1/4 acre and the rest is for top dressing corn plots and filling in a few areas in those corn plots that have not done well. Biggest thing I struggle with is getting everything I want in one bag - that is why I prefer to go thru a dealer - I may just get my seed for next fall this year to avoid this issue next year. I wanted peas, brassica and cereal grains. I will pick up some wheat later so I have some cereal grains after a frost.

I planted some 7 Card Stud a couple weeks ago. My attempts at food plots are small because I don't have much time to spend on it and I don't mind paying BOB prices when I don't need a lot. It looked like some oats were just starting to come up when I was there this weekend. We got some rain right after I planted but it's been limited since. Here are my before pictures. I will post updates as I can.

iftE8qu.jpg

JHAlSwb.jpg

Bought a few more recently and thought I would share. Anyone else that buys BOB.....please share a pic and what the contents are. What was my original intention of this thread. I always wondered what seeds where in some of these products and many times its difficult to compare them until your in the store and trying to compare labels.

Biologic - clover plus:
clover plus.jpg

15% Balady 1 Berseem clover
15% Critical mass ladino white clover
9.8% Forager Chicory
9.7% Fixation Balansa clover
5.7% Salino red clover
3.9% Temuka white clover
3.2% Waimak white clover
2% Broad red clover
remainder is inert matter

I used this product to overseed a clover plot I was having issues with smartweed with and nuked with a dose of gly. The plot as a whole is looking much better now - even though I know the smartweed will return.

Biologic - Fulldraw:

fulldraw.jpg

Contents:
46.6% Goetze wheat
13.9% Balady 1 berseem clover
10% A3 rape
8.9% Bioroa rape
6% Spitfire rape
3.4% Fixation Balansa clover
remanider is inert matter

I used this product to seed a small kill plot that I just created so I needed something that would pop up quick - and I was specifically after the wheat as it will survive my winters and not die after frost like oats will. The other stuff is simply gravy if the deer are interested.

Last edited:
One of several frustrations I have with BOB mixes is that it is often SO difficult to determine exactly which varieties are in the bag, before you have it in your hand. The information is often a bit difficult to find online, and there is no guarantee it will be the same mix, next year. I'm sure some of the folks selling BOB mixes do better than others, but there are just so many reasons not to buy a mix. I'm fortunate to have good options for buying the seed I want, by the pound, but I would absolutely go out of my way (drive or order) to get the seeds I wanted, if that's what it took. I'm just not willing to compromise, while paying more, AND never knowing exactly what I'll get. :)

Here's a life hack for ya to consider. Deer food plot mixes are also cover crops. No shock there. However, take some time to shop cover crop seed geared towards farmers instead of deer hunters. I picked up a 50lb bag of brassicas (no coating) for $100 or $2/lb. That cuts my per acre cost down to $16. Buffer that with a grain companion, and it's even less.

It's also a simpler blend...
1/3 purple top turnip
1/3 daikon radish
1/3 dwarf essex rape

So a little less diversity, but in my application, I've never had issues having all the brassicas eaten. The radish takes the early pressure, the PTT takes over when the radish is gone. Not sure when the DER gets eaten, but it does. Keep it in your basement and you've got a lot more seed for less dollars, and that's one less thing you have to remember to order when planting time rolls around. That bag should last me 3-4 years.

I also buy my grains from a cover crop dealer. The one BOB product i still buy is a clover blend, but I'm searching for a larger bag of that as well. I always get properly cleaned seed too. I don't need any of farm country's super weeds getting to my place any sooner than absolutely necessary. So I avoid feed oats from a farm supply store. They seem to be much dirtier.

I was in Wal Mart at lunch today and they had 7 Card Stud marked down from $18.95 to $5.00 per bag. Just thought I would share in case any of you guys are interested.

Planted all of those before. I wait until the end of season and buy whatever is on clearance for around $5/bag. Have had good luck with them but nothing better than the seed I buy at coop.

I won this from a Facebook giveaway last fall. I didn't plant it because we were in a drought. I will be planting it Sept 10 when we go to the lease.

Eagle Seed Broadside Blend 25lb bag- 1/4 acre.
fba765c5d98e2f2bbdeb4418fa6ba5b6.jpg

a4eec1487ab3959a109ec75200b90374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won this from a Facebook giveaway last fall. I didn't plant it because we were in a drought. I will be planting it Sept 10 when we go to the lease.

Eagle Seed Broadside Blend 25lb bag- 1/4 acre.
fba765c5d98e2f2bbdeb4418fa6ba5b6.jpg

a4eec1487ab3959a109ec75200b90374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting to see soybeans in a fall annual mix like that. I'm sure the deer will love the fresh green soybeans......let us know how it goes.

Interesting to see soybeans in a fall annual mix like that. I'm sure the deer will love the fresh green soybeans......let us know how it goes.

I saved back a couple hundred lbs of soybeans to mix with my fall plots. I think it was dogdoc who mixed summer plants in his fall plots, said it was a hit. I'm thinking he mixed sunflower.

I saved back a couple hundred lbs of soybeans to mix with my fall plots. I think it was dogdoc who mixed summer plants in his fall plots, said it was a hit. I'm thinking he mixed sunflower.
I sort of did this one year as well. I disced some strips of dried soybeans that had not produced well in an effort to plant fall annuals. Those beans that germinated from that process where a huge hit with the deer. I know the value of doing it....it's just the first time I have seen a BOB type mix do it. One of the things I want to do one year is mix soybeans and AWP in my row planter and plant and then follow up with a broadcasting of brassica and then follow that up with a broadcasting of cereal grains. I think it would make a great plot, but takes some work......nothing wrong with beans in a fall plot, just have to realize that what the deer don;t eat the frost will kill and it's all forage.

It is put in there to give them a boost in protein until they frost kill and give the other items a chance to get a decent start. That mix cost $45 a 25lb, 1/4 acre bag.

nothing wrong with beans in a fall plot, just have to realize that what the deer don;t eat the frost will kill and it's all forage.

I'm thinking they'll be long gone before frost. I wouldn't plant soybeans in the fall if it wasn't the cheapest seed I can get. We'll see how it goes, may not do it again. The guys that came & picked up the hogs the other night are supposed to bring me a couple thousand lbs of pinto beans that Del Monte rejected, anxious to try those as well.

Back