Blue Hill order

jlane35

I fell asleep on the couch last night, and when I woke up at 4 am I checked if he had his trees for sale yet. He advertised September 1st. I’m glad I woke up earlier then normal since some trees only had 12 available. So order some trees if you were thinking about it.

This is what I ordered. 0483E943-4B07-479A-9E9D-BEE63114BDD0.png

Nice! Glad I woke up fairly early. Not many of the couple I really wanted.

e1a5a8fbfb1cb0b37715429742436947.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never ordered from him before. And the only trees I’ve ever ordered In the past were run of the mill crabapple trees. So I’m looking forward to surrounding our foodplots with these to enhance the areas for hunting season.

i'm amazed at how fast these sold out...there is not a pear to order at 10 am already....need to set my alarm for midnight next year jeesh

Not sure about his operation, but inventory seemed rather low on a lot of desired items. I was lucky I woke up fairly early and ordered. His trees look great from the pics people have posted though.

Went to bed at 11pm and not for sale yet. Got up at 6am and already sold out of all grafted persimmons. Got some crabapples, but not all I wanted. Oh well, probably the last time for that. I'll order from someone else since this is the second year in a row of not getting what I wanted.

Went to bed at 11pm and not for sale yet. Got up at 6am and already sold out of all grafted persimmons. Got some crabapples, but not all I wanted. Oh well, probably the last time for that. I'll order from someone else since this is the second year in a row of not getting what I wanted.

I just got lucky that I woke up so early. I’m excited to see how the persimmons do at our place.

I’m new to buying trees. What did you want and why? I just went by drop time and picked one of each so I could see what does best on my place.

I’m new to buying trees. What did you want and why? I just went by drop time and picked one of each so I could see what does best on my place.
Different strokes for different folks, you kinda have to find out what you like to grow, and what likes to grow there. As fruit trees go the persimmons are popular due to their low maintenance, as are pear trees.
Going by drop time and just picking out different things is a great way to get started and see what it is you like to work with best before you go out and get more.

definitely pay attention to zone....i wish when i started gone w/ more call them wildlife varieties that are more disease/insect resistant vs popular store names (Mcintosh, Honey Crisp, etc.) that are great for eating, but keeping them alive in the wild is full time job. Most of us are not apple farmers and not out there every day to monitor and treat for various infestations.

Native has nice thread on here he updates from time to time i like to pay attention to it for nice general overview of varieties that tend to be geared to deer woods.
http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/native-hunter-fruit-tree-list.4680/

definitely pay attention to zone....i wish when i started gone w/ more call them wildlife varieties that are more disease/insect resistant vs popular store names (Mcintosh, Honey Crisp, etc.) that are great for eating, but keeping them alive in the wild is full time job. Most of us are not apple farmers and not out there every day to monitor and treat for various infestations.

Native has nice thread on here he updates from time to time i like to pay attention to it for nice general overview of varieties that tend to be geared to deer woods.
http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/native-hunter-fruit-tree-list.4680/

That is where we have gone wrong in the past, or my father I should say. He purchased a bunch of trees and most died. We currently have 7 alive and I have found 3 wild apple trees in an area we used to brush hog, now fallow, that produce more then our 7 combined.

So this is my first go around at buying trees geared towards wildlife.

Thanks for the link.

I wanted some grafted persimmons for variety. I figured they should be able to produce fruit on the years that the late frosts get everything else. This year had zero fruit on pears and apples. They are pretty maintenance free compared to apples.

i'm amazed at how fast these sold out...there is not a pear to order at 10 am already....need to set my alarm for midnight next year jeesh

Agreed, Ryan at Blue Hill is outstanding with customer service and very responsive with emailing back with great detailed advice. He clarified which would grow best for my soils and zone.

I tried to order last spring and the items kept disappearing from my cart when I went to check out, I would go back in and order the smaller trees and go to check out and other things disappeared from my cart so I said the heck with it and waited for fall. I now work 2nd shift so I convinced my boss to order with me and we could split the shipping as well as him ordering them at 6am when he gets to work. I woke up at 10am to a bunch of texts from him (with swear words lol) saying the items kept disappearing from his cart like happened with me in the spring so we again didn't get to order :( bummed would be putting it lightly, he and I wanted the same pears and Persimmons and ended up with an empty cart again.
Ryan sells awesome trees which is why they go so fast, I get it... but bummed I've missed a years growth so I will be setting an alarm next spring.

Back