Blind window help.

I’m currently in the process of finalizing the details on the blinds we are going to build. The only issue I’m having is the windows. What have you guys done that has worked or am I better off buying deerview windows.

I'd consider buying a box blind over making my own and I'm a carpenter. Check out 360 Hunting Blinds, their windows and visibility is second to none. If you want to build one lowes has tinted sliding windows for $50 each. But I'd buy a sheet of tinted plexiglass, cut the size you want, and make my own slides out of plastic wood on the table saw.

I buy these
https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/p...x9-16hx72l-lower-size-5-8wx5-16hx72l-tan.html
and plexi glass at menards when it goes on sale and cut my windows to the size I want.

I also have used recycled synthetic decking that has the grooves in it for hidden fasteners as the slider rail. That has worked well also. I have milled my own rails but they seems to swell and take in water causing sliding problems and such when it got cold.

I recommend staying away from tinted windows as it gets tough to see through in the first and last half hour or so if you're one who likes to keep the windows closed until go time like myself. I have made windows with both and won't do anymore with the tinted material.

I like to make my windows 16 to 18 tall. Then when I get them in place I use flat black spray paint or brush on flat black exterior and paint the top or bottom couple inches or so to custom size the view so I am not letting in anymore light than needed. I keep the plastic wrap on the plexi but cut off what I am going to paint and then paint it, let it dry, peel off the rest of the protective plastic wrap and install the window. I usually end up with a 12 to 14" vertical opening but can see everything with how the clear window is set exactly where it needs to be.

Like Mennoniteman said, perhaps you'd be better off buying a blind, especially if you're going to be buying all materials for it. Cost will be similar and more if you add in your time.

If you know any contractors ask them about their throw away materials. Sometimes one can get some great building supplies that way.

If you're going to shinge it one can pick up cheap shingle leftovers at Menards.

I buy these
https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/p...x9-16hx72l-lower-size-5-8wx5-16hx72l-tan.html
and plexi glass at menards when it goes on sale and cut my windows to the size I want.

I also have used recycled synthetic decking that has the grooves in it for hidden fasteners as the slider rail. That has worked well also. I have milled my own rails but they seems to swell and take in water causing sliding problems and such when it got cold.

I recommend staying away from tinted windows as it gets tough to see through in the first and last half hour or so if you're one who likes to keep the windows closed until go time like myself. I have made windows with both and won't do anymore with the tinted material.

I like to make my windows 16 to 18 tall. Then when I get them in place I use flat black spray paint or brush on flat black exterior and paint the top or bottom couple inches or so to custom size the view so I am not letting in anymore light than needed. I keep the plastic wrap on the plexi but cut off what I am going to paint and then paint it, let it dry, peel off the rest of the protective plastic wrap and install the window. I usually end up with a 12 to 14" vertical opening but can see everything with how the clear window is set exactly where it needs to be.

Like Mennoniteman said, perhaps you'd be better off buying a blind, especially if you're going to be buying all materials for it. Cost will be similar and more if you add in your time.

If you know any contractors ask them about their throw away materials. Sometimes one can get some great building supplies that way.

If you're going to shinge it one can pick up cheap shingle leftovers at Menards.
You have some good ideas here that I found useful.

I recently made windows out of poly sheet and magnetic tape. Adhere the tape to the window and also the inside of the blind and put the sheet up. When a deer shows up slide the window down. No reflection to flash due to hinges, no grooves to swell or squeak, just simple magnets.

I buy these

If you go with clear windows vs tinted you can use black landscape fabric as curtains. Use the cheap stuff and in the bright light you can see through it to a degree.

Appreciate all the info. I already have the material for the blinds and that seems to be about half of what purchasing a blind would be. I was just curious if people prefer to buy their windows or build them and how if they built them.

I'd consider buying a box blind over making my own and I'm a carpenter. Check out 360 Hunting Blinds, their windows and visibility is second to none. If you want to build one lowes has tinted sliding windows for $50 each. But I'd buy a sheet of tinted plexiglass, cut the size you want, and make my own slides out of plastic wood on the table saw.
Plexi and "J" channel

Not sure of budget but I bought TAFCO double pane sliding windows from Home Depot. They were not to bad cost wise.

My two towers have Lowes/Home depot cheap vinyl sliding windows. great for gun - not for bow.
We also use plexiglass and make tracks to slide it in - up and down is good - with holes in the plexiglass - and a pin on a string to set the height - works good on small sides of boxes.

I bought mine from a place called the originaldeerblindwindow.com I think thats what it was.I had bought the cheapest windows from lowes and could have saved 20.00 but the size was perfect for what I needed so it was well worth it

I recently made windows out of poly sheet and magnetic tape. Adhere the tape to the window and also the inside of the blind and put the sheet up. When a deer shows up slide the window down. No reflection to flash due to hinges, no grooves to swell or squeak, just simple magnets.

Do you have some pictures? When we built the stand we have we have 3 different styles of windows, flip up, flip down, and sliding side to side. Not overly happy with any of them but something like that sounds like just the ticket.

Do you have some pictures? When we built the stand we have we have 3 different styles of windows, flip up, flip down, and sliding side to side. Not overly happy with any of them but something like that sounds like just the ticket.
Sorry, no pics.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back