Baseball Glove Preservation

struttingfool

I know this isn't your normal topic on a hunting site but the people on the site are very knowledgeable.

I have been given 2 modern baseball gloves that were my brothers (he passed away 4 years ago) and I don't want to see them get ruined. I haven't been able to throw a baseball over hand in 7 years (bad shoulders ) I will not use these gloves and have no one in the family that plays but in the same sense they were my brothers so I am not going to get rid of them.

Any suggestions on how to preserve and protect them? I have been told to clean them up, oil them, and do that every so often. I know I will put them away and forget all about them and then they will be lost for good and I don't want that to happen. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Strut

A good leather glove conditioner should do the trick . I usually get mine at Dicks sporting goods. Their are quite a few to pick from . If you go to the Dicks website , go to baseball , then accessories . You can read in detail about each one before making a selection .
Good luck !

Keep the gloves in a climate controlled area. Dont put them in an attic or uninsulated garage. Extreme temperatures tends to dry out and break down leather faster.

Thanks for the replies, one question. After using the Vaseline or the leather conditioner, would you store them in a vacuum sealed bag??????

Thanks

Strut

I dont think that is necessary . Like Turkey Creek said ," climate control " ie room temp is fine , Just dont let it get too hot hot or damp .
Whatever product that you decide to use on it , just dont put too much . A little goes a long way .

No need to store inside a bag they will last a long long long time. When I first started playing I had a glove that was probably 30 years old and was used just about that whole time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know this isn't your normal topic on a hunting site but the people on the site are very knowledgeable.

I have been given 2 modern baseball gloves that were my brothers (he passed away 4 years ago) and I don't want to see them get ruined. I haven't been able to throw a baseball over hand in 7 years (bad shoulders ) I will not use these gloves and have no one in the family that plays but in the same sense they were my brothers so I am not going to get rid of them.

Any suggestions on how to preserve and protect them? I have been told to clean them up, oil them, and do that every so often. I know I will put them away and forget all about them and then they will be lost for good and I don't want that to happen. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Strut
Reach out to the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown and see if they can tell you what to do. That would be someone who should know.

Depending on how important these are to you as a remembrance, I had a couple of ideas. You could use a good leather conditioner as suggested above, then apply a wax to preserve it. They make glass display cases specifically for baseball gloves.

A step further is you could have it bronze-dipped (like they used to do with baby shoes). Looking at one of bronze-dipping companies, they also offer pewter, silver and gold. Then you could have it put on a plaque with an engraved plate remembering your brother.

Tree, those are some pretty neat ideas and would have never thought of that. My only "hope" is that someday (15 years or more from now!!!!!!!) I will get to play catch with a grandson or daughter and would like to get them back out.

Jbird, like your idea the best. Calling Cooperstown is more up my alley

Thanks

Strut

Back