Anyone wanna review my throw & mow plan?

Chipdasqrrl

Looking to commit to my biggest throw & mow plot (1/2 acre) this year. I’ve done small test plots with throw & mow and good things have happened.

So here’s what I’m thinking:
This week I want to till the plot one last time and plant it in oats and crimson clover. Currently, the plot is only beginning to grow weeds and it contains a bit of turnip residue from last year’s planting.
When the oats start going to seed (and I assume the crimson clover will be too) I want to throw down some turnip seed and mow the oats over it.

Can’t post a picture of the soil test results for some reason, but the PH is 6.6, organic matter 3.2%, and the Whitetail institute tells me my P is off the charts, K is very high, calcium and magnesium are adequate. Should be easy to grow anything with those numbers. Not sure why the phosphorus is so high though, I’ve never added a fertilizer with phosphorus.

So what do ya think? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I should also add that I’m not sure how to proceed next spring. Can grain be frost seeded with clover? Not sure how I’d get something to mow down next year without tilling again

The last couple years I've been doing the LC rotation throw and mow/roll. The brassica plot from the previous year is usually eaten to the gound and doesn't need any tilling but if I have to I lightly disc and plant crimson and red clover with cereal grains in the spring and mow or roll cereal grains and clover again last part of Aug first of Sept, the rye in the cereal grains along with the clover will take off the next spring and I plant brassicas ealy to mid July by rolling it down. Every year rotate the brassicas and cereal grains and you should have something to mow/roll.

They ate the brassicas to the ground last winter and a couple weeks ago I broadcast crimson and red clover along with rye, oats and wheat then cultipacked it.

LJrpSFD.jpg

3XEUxWO.jpg

DwRsQVh.jpg

Went back last night and its seems to be taking off.

tUoRyLy.jpg

spilled some cereal grains.

iqt7cX8.jpg

Looking to commit to my biggest throw & mow plot (1/2 acre) this year. I’ve done small test plots with throw & mow and good things have happened.

This week I want to till the plot one last time and plant it in oats and crimson clover. Currently, the plot is only beginning to grow weeds and it contains a bit of turnip residue from last year’s planting.
When the oats start going to seed (and I assume the crimson clover will be too) I want to throw down some turnip seed and mow the oats over it.

Can’t post a picture of the soil test results for some reason, but the PH is 6.6, organic matter 3.2%, and the Whitetail institute tells me my P is off the charts, K is very high, calcium and magnesium are adequate. Should be easy to grow anything with those numbers. Not sure why the phosphorus is so high though, I’ve never added a fertilizer with phosphorus.

Keep working on posting that soil test. Maybe screen shot it with your phone, or do a snipping tool pic with your computer (search "snipping tool" in your windows search bar).

The big question is when do you plan to mow? Oats can take a while before they're able to be mow-killed, especially if you're not sure what variety of oats you have. This is why I like barley. I know I can plant it late (like June) and still have it far enough along to mow kill in 5 weeks.

Keep working on posting that soil test. Maybe screen shot it with your phone, or do a snipping tool pic with your computer (search "snipping tool" in your windows search bar).

The big question is when do you plan to mow? Oats can take a while before they're able to be mow-killed, especially if you're not sure what variety of oats you have. This is why I like barley. I know I can plant it late (like June) and still have it far enough along to mow kill in 5 weeks.

IMG_8880.JPG
Here ya go, just had to restart the app. I don’t think that oats would take too long, as long as they start going to seed by the end of July I should be good. So to answer your question, I plan on mowing when the oats tell me to mow.
I’ll also compare oats & barley prices, that would probably be my deciding factor

View attachment 15742
Here ya go, just had to restart the app. I don’t think that oats would take too long, as long as they start going to seed by the end of July I should be good. So to answer your question, I plan on mowing when the oats tell me to mow.
I’ll also compare oats & barley prices, that would probably be my deciding factor

That sounds good. We start getting itchy to plant brassicas by mid July in my area. If there isn't seed flying by then, size is impacted quite a bit. I don't know what to make of your high P numbers. The rest looks good though.

Here’s why u plant a clover and grain when u plant your brassica or oversees such in Oct. No bare ground of erosion and leaching of nutrients and a plot providing food until next fall rotation.
And even the little guys like it too!
12e59b2a81472ca79d7af11e8aed6d02.jpg

9556e39d33f0b2fe48f94f3646a1459b.jpg

13043b4cc865389143d35590befdfb23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your plan should work fine. I’ve had just as good luck turning over a drag harrow going over a plot with good thatch material. For me, it creates a more uniform mat of material that lays down pretty good.

Seed is in the ground now... 50 pounds of oats and 5 pounds of crimson clover, should be set until July

it is crazy seeing how other regions vary in the plantings. it always interests me to see others plantings. All of my crimson clover has seeded out and is dead down here in south Georgia. We have to always do a fall planting of our clovers or they will never make a decent plot due to the heat.

it is crazy seeing how other regions vary in the plantings. it always interests me to see others plantings. All of my crimson clover has seeded out and is dead down here in south Georgia. We have to always do a fall planting of our clovers or they will never make a decent plot due to the heat.
I expecting my perennial clover to be dormant yet this weekend.

In East Texas, we have a lot of Crimson Clover on our highway rights-of-way, and it went to seed 2/3 weeks ago.

Back