Any recommendations on a deer hunting trip?

Brad

Hi All,

I'm looking to get back into the sport and do an annual deer hunting trip with my Dad and brother. Does anyone have a recommendation on a great father son deer hunting trip? I'm in Chicago and we are having trouble finding a good location for a hunt that offers independent hunting in a location with relatively low hunting pressure. We don't want to bump into other hunters in the woods. We'd be willing to fly if the price is reasonable.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Might try to get in touch with a member here who go's by the user name Blizzard Ridge... He has a setup like you are describing in Illinois...

Check out ranches south of San Antonio in the brush country. Numerous commercial operations. Many very large ranches with some of the finest deer hunting there is. There is nothing like a rut hunt in the south tx brush country ! And on many ranches you want see another human all day except at camp.

I can help if interested.

Thanks Baker. I'll definitely check it out. If you happen to have a name of a ranch and wouldn't mind sharing it would be really helpful. Even to use it as a benchmark. Thanks again

Thanks Baker. I'll definitely check it out. If you happen to have a name of a ranch and wouldn't mind sharing it would be really helpful. Even to use it as a benchmark. Thanks again
There are options to match any budget or experience. Some names to use for reference are:
The covert ranch
Briscoe-cochina and catarina ranches
charco marrano ranch
I'm not sure who is outfitting on the King ranch now but that is a historic and unforgettable experience
My neighbor in Mexico, Armando Lopez offers commercial hunts on his Las Cuevas ranch.Would be a fantastic experience.

If you find something appropriate for you and would like me to vet I'm happy to help. I'd start now as most quality ranches book quickly.

There are numerous places in TX. However, for a father son guided trip, the best I've experienced is Loyd Ketchum Outfitting out of Miles City, MT. He can put you on either mule deer or whitetails. Primarily spot and stalk hunting. I've killed a number of really nice mulies with him and have always seen a dozen or more 25"+ bucks each trip. Loyd is a class act and as genuine/honest as anyone you'll have the pleasure of hunting with. He's a former professional rodeo bull fighter. He leases a number of large ranches. Never seen another hunter while hunting. PM if you'd like more info

Not always the biggest racked deer but my fav place to hunt is Saskatchewan. Racks are big and thick and very dark. Bodies are huge. To shoot big, you must be willing to pass bucks and be quick to judge, as they hang for just a few minutes. Trust me you won't bump into hunters as some of the leases are by the hundred sq miles. Best have your balls tucked tight as you can sit all day at -15 or worse. I have a closet of clothes for only that hunt. Canada a PIA for taking in weapons and airlines can be the same PIA for bringing out meat or racks depending on their mood. Have fun.

Not always the biggest racked deer but my fav place to hunt is Saskatchewan. Racks are big and thick and very dark. Bodies are huge. To shoot big, you must be willing to pass bucks and be quick to judge, as they hang for just a few minutes. Trust me you won't bump into hunters as some of the leases are by the hundred sq miles. Best have your balls tucked tight as you can sit all day at -15 or worse. I have a closet of clothes for only that hunt. Canada a PIA for taking in weapons and airlines can be the same PIA for bringing out meat or racks depending on their mood. Have fun.

Jimmineze it gets cold up there. Hunted Alberta quite a bit for deer. I remember it snowing one day till I was just a mound in the land scape. Never shot anything very big up there. It was more a survival affair.

I was filming a 160 clas 10 pt in Mexico one midday wearing a long sleeve shirt. It was then I realized I was never hunting deer in Canada again. See more and bigger bucks, very comfortable temps, giant landscape every bit as big as Canada with far more game and hunting conditions that a cold coronita make quite tolerable. Maybe I'm just a southern wussie?

Jimmineze it gets cold up there. Hunted Alberta quite a bit for deer. I remember it snowing one day till I was just a mound in the land scape. Never shot anything very big up there. It was more a survival affair.

I was filming a 160 clas 10 pt in Mexico one midday wearing a long sleeve shirt. It was then I realized I was never hunting deer in Canada again. See more and bigger bucks, very comfortable temps, giant landscape every bit as big as Canada with far more game and hunting conditions that a cold coronita make quite tolerable. Maybe I'm just a southern wussie?
Well you used the word wussie and I'll stay with that one.:rolleyes: I can't argue much about diff areas offering a diff experience. I like the cold, and the fact that a brute of a deer survives the weather, landscape, wolves, etc. I like the fact I'm hunting in an area with half dozen guys that covers hundreds of empty sq miles of that type of country. I've helped trap wolf, beaver, etc up there and I just love the area.
Now the disclaimer, as I've gotten older, maybe just not quite as tough. The one local dude I've hunted and trapped with was 15 years older than me and married to a pretty lady 1/3 his age. I've had couple friends played CFL and they loved the country. So maybe that nasty stuff is good for the bones.
And I do like the Canadian people of Saskatchewan, Eh? Haven't been for a few years mainly due to time constraints. But don't get me wrong, a Mexican hunt in the middle of winter is tempting.

Back