Allegheny Chinkapin

mattpatt

Anyone think they may have some AC nuts to share this fall? I’m putting in a request early. Lol

Matt

I actually stopped yesterday at the trees I usually gather from, and they had plenty of burrs. I should have some I can trade this fall. I cannot make any promises since the trees are an hour away. I was a few days late last year and only gathered about twelve. They should be dropping in mid to late September.

Awesome. Yeah I know it’s early but I was just thinking about it today and how nice it would be to have a AC at my house so that I can use it as a source for nuts to plant elsewhere. I’m sure I can find something to trade for a few. Hopefully you’ll time it right and beat the animals this year.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon. I hope. The shrub tubes I'd been using as protection were like an ice cream cone for the deer, but I finally put a fence around the AC plot two years ago, and I have some hope that I will have nuts soon. Stupid deer.

It’s funny how we plant trees to produce food for wildlife then curse them for stealing it when we want what the tree produces for ourselves. . I do the same thing and I always think to myself that this is the last year that I’m planting or growing trees. Then next year I’m growing more. It’s a vicious cycle.

Matt

Matt
I have a couple trees that should have some this year. If you have some Concordia oaks I’ll send you some this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I can’t guarantee anything at this point but right now the Concordias are looking great. Right now they are about the size of a pea. I’ll know more in a couple months.

Matt

Concordias are still looking good. Probably at least half of the acorns fell off due to not being fertilized. There are still quite a few left that should make it if the squirrels don’t find them first! We are receiving some timely rains as I type this so that’ll help things along as well.

Matt

Concordias are still looking good. Probably at least half of the acorns fell off due to not being fertilized. There are still quite a few left that should make it if the squirrels don’t find them first! We are receiving some timely rains as I type this so that’ll help things along as well.

Matt

as are we in east texas

Blessed relief and very unusual for us given our historically brutal summers

bill

I thought our ACs were toast last year, but this year they have taken off! I'm hoping the ones we planted back in the thicker parts of the farm we don't go in this time of year, are shooting up as well. I should have taken a pic the other day, but I was pooped and ready to get home after some plot work, and my phone was "all the way" back at the tractor. lol
I'm probably going to have to cage these after this winter, they're getting tall enough the deer are going to find them.

Back