All you can eat Buffett for cat

Boomers

Hi. I'm in oregon. I have a cat problem.
He thinks my place is an all you can eat buffett. I'm not a cat hunter. But quickly thinking of being one ! Lol Am I allowed to shoot a mountain lion that is killing my livestock ? How many of my animals have to die before I can defend them? I dont want to get in trouble but this cat is pissing me off !

I have to turn cat in if I kill it. I have 10 days. He was very vague and kind of a jerk. Not much help to be honest. Was told I need to learn to live with wildlife.
I have taken measures. Added hot wire motion lights . But seriously I dont think this guys going to play by the rules. This cat came within 30 feet of my dad and I. While we were deciding who digs the hole for the goat. The cat decided we didnt need a hole. He took off with the rest of the goat. Lol. I might try to call back in Hope's of getting a different person.

Wish it were that simple. My husband would have done it, but he died. So now it's my responsibility. I have no clue what size gun, where to aim etc. I'm a good shot. But far from a hunter. Lol I have several guns to choose from. Up to a 44 . Is is possible to find someone with a tag and ask them to fill it? Lol its year round season here.

You were already planning on digging a hole? Got to get better troubleshooting skills!

Like Native said what is the problem if the guy said shoot it and turn it in?

You answered my question about the same time I asked it. I would think your state game agency would have a list of folks willing to help. At thirty feet a 12 gauge and some buck shot would make it pretty easy.

I was digging hole for goat. I'm not a hunter. My husband always handled this stuff. He died.
So with lack of knowledge . Im worried if I shoot with my lever is it not enough to drop. Will I piss him off and have him get me etc. I can target shoot no problem. But this isnt a paper taped up to a tree. Lol I feel a big difference here. Lol

Thank you. Yes I'm clueless on what weapons etc. I just sold my shotgun. Like an idiot. Thought I never use it .lol I have .22 a 30-25 I think that's it? A 30-30 a 30-06 A 44 mag but it's a dirty harry style and kicks like a mule. Pefer to keep that one parked in holster. Which would you recommend ? Aim for behind armpit ?

20200504_012947.jpg
XD0MVLq

This is what trail cam caught.

Well, it is Oregon, and they have different views than some other states about predators. However, I would do a little online research from the game and fish department and know exactly what the legalities are. I’d never take an employees word about that, they could be biased. Sounds like the one you talked to was since he said you needed to learn to live with it. IMO, predators need to learn to live with us and if they are stock killers they need to be dealt with. If it’s legal to hound hunt them find someone that does that and the problem will be resolved. If it’s legal to trap, maybe someone could do that for you. If your only recourse is to shoot it, the 30-30 will definitely do the job. Place the bullet high in the shoulder or in the armpit as you suggested. When it’s down, shoot it again (if it’s worth one shot it’s worth two) and don’t go near it for 20/30 minutes. This is to make sure it’s dead ! You don’t want an angry cougar waking up in your lap. Good luck !

Well, it is Oregon, and they have different views than some other states about predators. However, I would do a little online research from the game and fish department and know exactly what the legalities are. I’d never take an employees word about that, they could be biased. Sounds like the one you talked to was since he said you needed to learn to live with it. IMO, predators need to learn to live with us and if they are stock killers they need to be dealt with. If it’s legal to hound hunt them find someone that does that and the problem will be resolved. If it’s legal to trap, maybe someone could do that for you. If your only recourse is to shoot it, the 30-30 will definitely do the job. Place the bullet high in the shoulder or in the armpit as you suggested. When it’s down, shoot it again (if it’s worth one shot it’s worth two) and don’t go near it for 20/30 minutes. This is to make sure it’s dead ! You don’t want an angry cougar waking up in your lap. Good luck !
Hound hunts are not allowed here from what internet says. Thank you for great info . I'm not going to enter the woods looking for it. Lol but I now carry . I put more security cameras up that beep with motion. My horses alert me pretty well. Just wish I understood their patterns better. I'm reading all I can on them. Most info isnt relevant to attacks on livestock. More what to do if you see one. I give him credit on stealth! I notice birds give him up also.
Thanks again

Do you have an archery shop or small outdoor supply,you may be able to find someone there.It is summer so not much lion hunting until winter

Thank you great idea. Here the season is year round no dogs. I read tags are 10 bucks up to 50 depending on the package.

Leave a goat tied up within shooting range of the house. Wait and watch. When it shows up stick your 30-06 out the window and shoot it. Aim right behind the front shoulder... pretend it's a paper target. Don't go look for it after you shoot it, get someone who is more comfortable doing that sort of thing. I've never hunted cat before but I don't imagine they are much fun to come across if wounded.

Put an add on Craigslist that you need help.

Hire a trapper to take care of it (if that is possible, my ignorance is showing here about cats and regulations).

I'm just throwing out ideas here...

He hasnt been back lately. No tripping cameras. So I assume hes doing his territory thing. Hopefully following the deer . Meantime I have been beefing up pens etc. Keeping everyone out of the treeline Looking for local help. Might have someone with tag to help. Thank you !

Good luck and be careful. One that comes that close to two adults is not one that is good to have around. I'd find help locally or constantly have your 30/30 with you and shoot him in the shoulders at the first opportunity. Surely someone locally with a tag to fill can help you out.

Back