All-around deer rifle in .270 or .308?

Kwood

I am a Central, IL hunter which means I have no real need for a high power unless I travel, but I still want one. I'm looking for an all around caliber that would tackle deer and possibly elk. From what I've gathered, .270 and .308 seems to be a good overall gun with readily available factory loads at a reasonable price.

I do not have a budget, pride of ownership is important but so is value.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I meant to add to this: please let me know a good rifle/scope combo for deer. Let's keep the combo < $2,000.

Ok fellas, you can spend my money in 3, 2, 1...

I have an H&H Ultra in .308. Awesome little gun to hunt with! Put a good scope on it and smoke some deer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Since you have that much money to spend you should be able to get a Sako 85 Finnlight and a decent scope if you shopped around some for a deal. Guaranteed 1/2 MOA, 5 shot groups out of a very light and easy to carry rifle.

i have a 270 and a 243 both are good deer guns with good amo
270 has a 2 1/2 x 10 - 50 mm
243= 4 1/2 x 12 - 40 mm
a couple of years i got a 300 win mag to go out west / its a 30-06 mag. i load so i can go ether way
300 - 3x9 = 50 mm i thing the 50 mm lens is best at first light and last light

Is the Finnlight your favorite Sako model?

I don't own one. I'm just going on the good reports I've heard about them and the reputation of Sako for outstanding accuracy. I own two Tikkas, which are made by Sako, and I love both of them - they are about 1/3 of the price of a Finnlight. I own too many rifles and likely won't buy any more, but if I did buy another factory rifle, it would be a Sako.

As for the calibers, I have always heard 270 would do for elk as long as you were good at placing your shots. Personally I shoot a 270 short mag and only one deer has ever not dropped on the spot, and that buck only went 10 yards, so I always feel the need to pitch it. 308 is a nice cartridge too, I prefer the short action myself, makes loading a lot easier in my opinion.

As for the rifles, I have had two great Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalkers (one in the 270 WSM and one 25-06) and they both shoot and feel great. They have been kind of ammo picky though, but running Nosler Trophy Grade ammunition through the both they will drive tacks every single time. I have also been hearing rave reviews out of the Bergara B-14 rifles (which comes in both of your specified calibers). They are guaranteed sub MOA, walnut stuck, Bergara barrel, with their own custom made action. All for $800-$1000 depending on caliber and store.

As for the scope, I have a Zeiss duralyt scope on my predator rifle that is jaw droppingly nice. Fantastic clarity and light transfer, The next rifle I buy will get one. This scope will cost likely as much as any production rifle or maybe a little bit more, but I have always followed the adage that a cheap gun with a good scope is better than a good gun and a cheap scope.

Those are my two cents

I love 270 and it and a 243 have been my go to deer rifles for years. Couple years ago swithched out to a Remington 270WSM. Has a Leopold scope. Tack driver out of the box and I won a hefty bet with a fellow , with him shooting a custom made rifle with hand loads, shooting from 100-300 yds. While I love it for deer, I would go 308 for your elk of the choices you gave. But as anything, what you shoot comfortably is the key. Had a young lady in office that took a nice 4x3 elk at 500 yds with a 280 this year. A rifle does not a hunter make.

1970s model 7mag has bullets from 140grain to think over 200 grain.I have taken everything from deer,moose and african game with 1 shot kills and the recoil is not as bad as you think.My daughter started shooting it when she was 13 and made a 374 yard shot on a NM oryx.A 270 will work for elk but I know when I guided it was limited to 100 yards.Nothing wrong with a 30.06 for a all around either

I'd probably do 7mag too, if I was thinking elk. Otherwise, I'm a .308 guy, it's what I'm comfortable with.

I've got a Sako 270 WSM that I'm super happy with. Haven't killed enough variety of animals with it to suggest it for an all around gun to someone else , but a tack driver it is :)

I don't own one. I'm just going on the good reports I've heard about them and the reputation of Sako for outstanding accuracy. I own two Tikkas, which are made by Sako, and I love both of them - they are about 1/3 of the price of a Finnlight. I own too many rifles and likely won't buy any more, but if I did buy another factory rifle, it would be a Sako.

"Too many" Well You could always post a few in the for sale section;) preferably the tikkas or custom rifles if you got any:)

I would go with an 06 or a 300 if you were serious about elk. You can't tell the difference on deer between a 06 and a 308. The 06 starts to gain a little on the 308 when you get into the 180 grain bullets. I'd pick either over a 270. But I would listen to guys that have actually shot elk over me!

If it were intended only for deer I'd pick the 270 but since you mentioned elk I'd go with the 06. I bow hunt elk and it is surprising how quickly you can kill an elk with a well placed arrow. Many elk rifle hunters are of the opinion that they need to shoot small cannons because they like to take the high shoulder shots that drop them in their tracks. IMO the 30-06 is one of the most versatile calibers because you can drop down to a 150 gr for deer and go up to a 180 for elk. There are even lighter and heavier bullets available as well and ammunition is available everywhere. By the way, if an elk hunt is on your bucket list I suggest you take the plunge and give it a try. It is the most fun I've ever had in my hunting life and I absolutely love it.

Back