All-around deer rifle in .270 or .308?

I'm not a fan of 270s or 7mms for elk and I find the 308 lacking at the ranges I've killed elk over the years (my shots have averaged well over 300yds). If you handload, I'd start with the 30-06 using at least 180g bullets (factory loaded 06s velocities are considerably less than advertised). If it were me, I'd personally start with a 300 win and go up from there. After shooting dozens of elk, my personal ideal is a 300wby, 338 or 340wby. For a a combo deer/elk, I'd do with the 300 mags. If you take elk out of the equation, I'd lean towards one of the 270s for the flatter trajectory if you have visions of western hunting (4 decades of mule deer hunting have seen ranges average right at 300yds). My dedicated western deer rifles are in 300wby and 7mmSTW (both shooting 165/160g bullets at 3400fps.

I did the 30-378 thing for a while and found the recoil unbearable without the muzzle break, and too noisy with one. For where I've hunted in UT, WY, ID, CO and Montana, I never felt I could hold steady enough under hunting conditions to take advantage of the extra range capability.

As for rifles, I'm a fan of Weatherbys and Sakos, and as nice of glass as you can afford. 2K gives you lots of room to work with. The Tikka line of rifles can be had at a price point that would allow you to get real quality glass (Swarovski or Zeis). Good luck!

Back