Age and gross score guesstimates please? In some pics he looks 2.5 and in some he looks 3.5.

I would tend towards 3.5. Great deer at any age. What is the chance you pass him and he lives til next year?

Not a good pic in the bunch for aging. One thing I can guarantee, he isn't 2.5. Too developed in the shoulders/brisket. 160ish

I am going to say 4.5. I think he is a little big in the front end to be 3.5. Depending on what part of Georgia, this deer will fool a lot of people. It is a wild free range deer and unless all of the conditions are right(and have been), has to be more than 3.5 to have a body like that and antlers that large. Everyone knows, Age, Nutrition, Genetics, with age and nutrition being the 2 biggest factors in a wild deer for antlers and body.

IMG_1926.JPG What would you age the deer on the right? Had some professors from mississippi state univ put an age on him.

He is running with what appear to be older age class bucks(non-rut, bigger necks, probably 5.5+). He could be on his way down at 7.5-8.5. Cover up his antlers and he appears to be a mature doe, so I am guessing 3.5.

There's virtually zero chance that he's a 2 year old (wouldn't even be 2.5 at this time of year). As others have stated, that brisket is extended past front legs and, frankly, antlers can most certainly be used to differentiate deer at the age in question. The amount of deer that have a rack like that at a definitive 2 years old are an extremely small percentage in terms of age for bucks that size. Regardless, racks on deer do have a ceiling to a reasonable extent, and smart money says that how much further he could progress would be negligible regardless of how many more years you let him live.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

He is running with what appear to be older age class bucks(non-rut, bigger necks, probably 5.5+). He could be on his way down at 7.5-8.5. Cover up his antlers and he appears to be a mature doe, so I am guessing 3.5.

You are correct. I had guessed this deer at 2.5. I know the deer on the far left is 5.5. To me, the deer on the right in my pic and the one in the original post have similar body characteristics - but the antlers sure dont favor each other.

I would guess him as only a 3 year old in Georgia. That is in Brooks county right? I believe he would have a little more defined belly if he was 4. I am no expert and they can fool you during the summer. He is not a 2 year old for sure. His chest is too developed for that. It is super hard to let one walk like that in Georgia but if you got good nutrition, which I believe you probably do, and he makes it another year, he would be a Booner next year. That is my goal on our land anyway. I am trying to let the young super stars live. That's the only way to get them big. Good luck but I would love to see what he would look like in a year.

Unless you have history aging in the summer is a crapshoot. Show me a pic in 2 months a whole lot more accurate

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would guess him as only a 3 year old in Georgia. That is in Brooks county right? I believe he would have a little more defined belly if he was 4. I am no expert and they can fool you during the summer. He is not a 2 year old for sure. His chest is too developed for that. It is super hard to let one walk like that in Georgia but if you got good nutrition, which I believe you probably do, and he makes it another year, he would be a Booner next year. That is my goal on our land anyway. I am trying to let the young super stars live. That's the only way to get them big. Good luck but I would love to see what he would look like in a year.

I'd love to see what he looks like in a year too

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back