acorn preferences

I had thought about it but almost everyone of them are good producers...

c1ce9d573d7ca369c086c2be150b1ed6.jpg

a945f1d52c3a449c2cc4787c07c1e0e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the look of white oak dominated forest. I wish I had more. Chestnut oak seems to be the most common in my woods. I would say white is in third place and northern red in second. I do have a small area that is 100 percent planted white oaks. Maybe I'll get some escapees.

Property.jpg
Okie.....your starting to cause me to develop some "man envy"......
"I got too many young oak trees", "I can't cut the big ones because they all produce so well",

How would like to be punched in the nose!:p:D

Honestly many folks would be thrilled to have those sort of "problems"........

If you truly have that many that produce - that then means you can pick and chose which ones to cut that best fit your habitat plan and hunting efforts. Like I said, nice problems to have. Now stop posting pictures......I'm starting to really not like you!:D

If you drove past our place going down the county road you probably wouldn't look twice at it for a deer hunting property if it were for sale. Mainly spindly regrowth Post oak and Hickory from a logging done MANY years ago but just walk into the property about 300 feet and all of sudden you are in White Oak and Shortleaf pine heaven. I don't know why they didn't log all of these off other than it was so long ago when it was logged before they didn't have to get into rougher sections like the creek bottoms and Hollow areas to get trees because they could just log the easy areas and get plenty...deal is they left a lot of huge white oaks in the easy areas too...It's a quandary...

BTW - I never mentioned I had any problems with the way the place is other than I need to open the canopy to let a bunch of this stuff grow up so it can be the next generation of white oak forest :)

Seriously, you have made me think though about taking some of the big ones in an area I don't want production. I have a huge amount of them over toward my west neighbors that probably shouldn't be there and if it was really thick over there that would be even that much better instead of an open floor white oak forest where deer can be seen from the neighbor house eating white oaks on our place...if the deer are out of sight they might be out of mind too and the income sure couldn't hurt from a select cut!

Last edited:
I love the look of white oak dominated forest. I wish I had more. Chestnut oak seems to be the most common in my woods. I would say white is in third place and northern red in second. I do have a small area that is 100 percent planted white oaks. Maybe I'll get some escapees.

I guess we are envious of the things our properties are lacking... I would love to have some Chestnut Trees like you have but so far nature has worked against me on that deal...

I would also love to have some ground on our place where a tiller would work like J-bird has but hard to till flint rock :(

If you drove past our place going down the county road you probably wouldn't look twice at it for a deer hunting property if it were for sale. Mainly spindly regrowth Post oak and Hickory from a logging done MANY years ago but just walk into the property about 300 feet and all of sudden you are in White Oak and Shortleaf pine heaven. I don't know why they didn't log all of these off other than it was so long ago when it was logged before they didn't have to get into rougher sections like the creek bottoms and Hollow areas to get trees because they could just log the easy areas and get plenty...deal is they left a lot of huge white oaks in the easy areas too...It's a quandary...

BTW - I never mentioned I had any problems with the way the place is other than I need to open the canopy to let a bunch of this stuff grow up so it can be the next generation of white oak forest :)

Seriously, you have made me think though about taking some of the big ones in an area I don't want production. I have a huge amount of them over toward my west neighbors that probably shouldn't be there and if it was really thick over there that would be even that much better instead of an open floor white oak forest where deer can be seen from the neighbor house eating white oaks on our place...if the deer are out of sight they might be out of mind too and the income sure couldn't hurt from a select cut!
No you never said it was an issue....I just like giving folks a rough time! I have 2 "large" oaks on my entire place. One is my lone white oak that won't produce a 12' log and the other is a huge northern red oak that is across the creek that the only way to get it out is by accessing thru a neighbors place. We all have different issues to deal with. Don't let me pressure you about cutting those oaks - I'm just having some fun. I don't know your place or your situation - you do what YOU think is best for your place.

I'll send you some food plot dirt and open canopy if you send me some white oak trees.....not them little ones either!!!:D

If it was only that easy!

Back