46-0-0

jlane35

I put down 100 lbs per acre on my brassica plots last week before 2 inches of rain, over a few days. When is to soon to add more? Or should I not add more. I would like to get the most growth out of them.

How big are they? Are you fighting a grass infestation? I’ve spread with my tractor 6 weeks after planting with no ill effect. I’ve found extra urea really helps. I shoot for a total of 100+lbs of actual nitrogen so at least 200lbs of 46-0-0.

How big are they? Are you fighting a grass infestation? I’ve spread with my tractor 6 weeks after planting with no ill effect. I’ve found extra urea really helps. I shoot for a total of 100+lbs of actual nitrogen so at least 200lbs of 46-0-0.

2 of the fields are about 5-6 inches tall. I planted later then I should have. But good to know. I’ll watch the weather and try to get more down before the next rain storm.

If you put down 2-50lb bags of 46-0-0, you actually only put down 46lb of urea. Some either don’t think about that, forget, or don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you put down 2-50lb bags of 46-0-0, you actually only put down 46lb of urea. Some either don’t think about that, forget, or don’t know.

I knew that but forgot. So thank you for the reminder. I’ll be watching for another high chance of rain and will be spreading more.

I’d do 100#/ac of Urea 30 days after planting. Don’t worry of grasses as the brassica will explode and overcome them. Overseed WR or WW and RC late fall after deer have browsed the leaves.

I put down 100 lbs per acre on my brassica plots last week before 2 inches of rain, over a few days. When is to soon to add more? Or should I not add more. I would like to get the most growth out of them.
Urea usually hangs on for about 30 days. Longer if you have a heavy soil. I'd give it 3-4 weeks, and also watch for things to start turning pink and yellow, or make sure to put it down so the second shot has at least 30 days for utilization before it gets cold.

I know you shouldn’t broadcast Urea onto wet plants while it’s not raining, so they don’t get burned. But can I broadcast it while it’s raining? Or does it have to find its way to the ground while it’s dry so it doesn’t burn the plants?

I know you shouldn’t broadcast Urea onto wet plants while it’s not raining, so they don’t get burned. But can I broadcast it while it’s raining? Or does it have to find its way to the ground while it’s dry so it doesn’t burn the plants?
You can broadcast it while it is raining provided:
#1, that it's not so wet that you draw ruts in the field and ruin an excessive amount of your crop.
#2, that it doesn't stop raining as you finish, and burn part of your crop.
#3, that you wash your wet spreader right away, or it will rust to nothing before the next season.
#4, that you have a raincoat or a cab tractor :)

You can broadcast it while it is raining provided:
#1, that it's not so wet that you draw ruts in the field and ruin an excessive amount of your crop.
#2, that it doesn't stop raining as you finish, and burn part of your crop.
#3, that you wash your wet spreader right away, or it will rust to nothing before the next season.
#4, that you have a raincoat or a cab tractor :)

Perfect! We are getting an inch or two of rain tonight. It started about an hour ago. So as soon as I saw your response I ran up to my place, only a 15 minute drive. I put more down since I forgot about 100 pounds of fertilizer was only 46 pounds of nitrogen.

I still have another 6 bags for some other plots as they mature some more. I planted those later then I wanted.

Maybe I just have better soil than I thought, but I’ve never put a second application of urea in brassicas. I do put a true 100# of actual product at planting though.

Perfect! We are getting an inch or two of rain tonight. It started about an hour ago. So as soon as I saw your response I ran up to my place, only a 15 minute drive. I put more down since I forgot about 100 pounds of fertilizer was only 46 pounds of nitrogen.

I still have another 6 bags for some other plots as they mature some more. I planted those later then I wanted.
The sooner it rains on nitrogen fertilizer after spreading, the less that is lost to vaporization into the air. So, spreading in the rain should yield the best results. Your dedication should pay back huge dividends for your brassica crop growth rate.

The sooner it rains on nitrogen fertilizer after spreading, the less that is lost to vaporization into the air. So, spreading in the rain should yield the best results. Your dedication should pay back huge dividends for your brassica crop growth rate.

I’m really hoping. Next year I’ll be sure to follow your advice and get them in the ground in June. The extra 1-2 months of growing time will be huge for our supply of winter feed.

Maybe I just have better soil than I thought, but I’ve never put a second application of urea in brassicas. I do put a true 100# of actual product at planting though.

I’m up to 92# per acre now. I probably won’t put anymore down.

I’m not very knowledgeable about soil but in my opinion ours isn’t great. We are on a mountain and it’s extremely rocky. I hope by not discing anymore and doing throw and mow into WR, WW, or BW every year I can build a nice top soil layer that won’t destroy my cultipacker anymore. I put two decently sized holes, JB weld was able to patch them, in our packermaxx after packing 6 acres.

The other thing you can do in the future is put down 34-0-0 instead of 46-0-0. I use ammonium sulfate (34-0-0-6) on my corn because it doesn’t volatize as bad as urea, so you don’t have to time the rain as much. You do have to put more down per acre, however, if you want to match the amount of actual nitrogen.

Back