300 Blackout

my personnel experience with the 300 BO. (AAC 9" Upper with AAC SDN-6 suppressor)

1. With a subsonic 220gr HP from Remington, I took a suppressed shot at a nice 10pt from just over 100 yards. Based on what I felt I read on the ballistics, it should have been more than enough. Well, even though it was suppressed, there was still the first round pop, and what normally should have been a nicely placed heart shot, the deer bucked from the crack of discharge jumped forward and I ended up with a gut shot due to the 1100fps round. spend the next 6 hours tracking to never finding the deer. Made me sick to say the least

In my 50 yrs of deer hunting a deer will not buck it's hind legs up from the sound of a gun shot. The bucking of the hinds legs was the effect of the bullet hitting the guts. A liver shot will also cause the bucking of the hind legs.

30f60efb2a0a106cf775d2c2c2de0717.jpg

It worked. About a 45 yard shot went 20 yards and fell over. The kid was pretty pleased! I'll update more when I get out of the tree and back home tomorrow. 80 degrees it is going to have to be a whopper for an arrow tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work dad an deer slayer!
As birdgunner asked whatcha use?
I tempted to just use the hornady 208 Amax subsonic loads I have since they shoot so great

35304f6431179a7890e73e3a11a7800b.jpg

Couldn't find the Barnes bullets at any of the stores I hit, they are on order from Cabela's. Bought the 135 flex tip hornady load. Mushroom was under the hide behind the off shoulder after passing through the on shoulder bone, lungs, and a rib. Retained weight was 109 grains, 80% retention. Not much blood with only one hole. But she did die quick. Need to try it out on some more.

35304f6431179a7890e73e3a11a7800b.jpg

Couldn't find the Barnes bullets at any of the stores I hit, they are on order from Cabela's. Bought the 135 flex tip hornady load. Mushroom was under the hide behind the off shoulder after passing through the on shoulder bone, lungs, and a rib. Retained weight was 109 grains, 80% retention. Not much blood with only one hole. But she did die quick. Need to try it out on some more.

Looks like a winner to me! What fps listed at on the hornady box?

It is funny how one begins to doubt certain choices when one spends too much time reading others opinions (general personal statement, not insinuating anything regarding this forum). I pretty much had convinced myself that I was going to upgrade my son to a 7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmoor for next season but then the other day he, I and my daughter went out and were fortunate to have an end of season opportunity. My son did his part and the Blackout did its with the doe folding instantly.
2.jpg

This is his second deer this season with it and both dropped on the spot, not sure what more I am expecting, especially considering a good friend and an acquaintance both shot deer this season with 30-06's and were unable to recover their deer (one even hired a tracking dog), as I already knew from previous experiences, bigger gun doesn't equal a more deceased deer. Looks like the Blackout will get another season of use in 2017 ;-)

I'm a father of four very small framed daughters who love to spend time outside with me. I bought/tried all kinds of legal deer hunting guns for them to take up deer hunting with me. All had just a little to much recoil until I borrowed a buddies 300blk. Our family now owns a riffle that they LOVE to shoot! And can shoot all day long. I'm guessing a well placed bullet will put down a whitetail. It was all about confidence for my girls. I'll post pics next fall!
c7b6fe76dd735b287eaed7cf87738195.jpg

Seabee that is a sweet rig. Put a can on it and recoil will be near non existent plus you won't have to scramble with hearing protection when the opportunity in the field arises (the safety aspect is how I justified it :D).
The most recent deer was number 5 for my son with the blackout, 3 dropped on the spot (shoulder hits) and the two that ran were lung and a heart, not a ton of blood with those but easily recoverable. As has been mentioned previously, hitting bone with the blackout produces the best results, with a well placed shot you will find this is a very capable whitetail caliber. Good luck next season and look forward to your success stories.

The only thing missing from mine is the silencer. I am waiting to see how the Hearing Protection Act is going to turn out. If is doesn't pass, I will just spend more money on a silencer and have to wait a little longer.
IMG_1203_zps0dieh1wi.jpg

The only thing missing from mine is the silencer. I am waiting to see how the Hearing Protection Act is going to turn out. If is doesn't pass, I will just spend more money on a silencer and have to wait a little longer.
IMG_1203_zps0dieh1wi.jpg

Lots of sweet guns on this thread.
Any idea on when we will know about the Hearing Protection Act? I've been checking on the internet the last couple of weeks to see if there is any progress. This week the anti's started getting loud...

I would hope that something will happen by summer or before, but it will probably get dragged out as long as they can.

I just built a 300 blackout for pig hunting. Rock River Arms LAR-15 lower with Magpul grip and extended trigger guard, 300 Blackout 16" 1:8 HBAR barrel, red LED flashlight, Nikon P-233 3X scope.
300 Blackout.jpg

Back