2020 Corn Planting

Field corn last week:

IMG_0044.JPG

Sweet corn 10 days ago:

IMG_0081.JPG

The field corn is as expected. Some parts look great, some is ok, and some is bad. If I was a real farmer I would not be happy, but the wildlife will be happy with what’s growing.

The sweet corn looks much better now than it did 10 days ago. We’ve had good rain since then.

Yesterday I spread nitrogen over all the corn before 2.5” of rain, so besides maybe spraying one more time all I have to do now is watch it grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Nothing speaks to a farmer like watching corn grow. The way the field corn is coming you'd better grease that cornpicker.

How exactly are you terminating it? I have been thinking of buying a roller crimper but also thought I might save the money and building a removable mount for my 55 gallon sprayer on my cultipacker.
As far as farm injury goes. Thank Gawd I have never had a real serious one. But I have had silly things happen like almost knocking all my teeth out with a flying bolt down a well casing to whacking myself with a metal rod and swelling my eye up like a soft ball. It can happen so fast!

How exactly are you terminating it? I have been thinking of buying a roller crimper but also thought I might save the money and building a removable mount for my 55 gallon sprayer on my cultipacker.
As far as farm injury goes. Thank Gawd I have never had a real serious one. But I have had silly things happen like almost knocking all my teeth out with a flying bolt down a well casing to whacking myself with a metal rod and swelling my eye up like a soft ball. It can happen so fast!

It’s really easy to terminate rye. 1.5 qts of generic glyphosate kills it fast.

This was a couple minutes ago. This is why we usually don’t get our corn in until first week of June.....View attachment 18727

Lots of folks in the mid west corn belt are having the same problem right now except it ain't white and fluffy like that. Even some tiled fields have big ponds in them; 4-6" of hard rain on land that is already pretty wet is going to require some additional tillage. A lot of farmers planted really late last year and lucked out with some timely rains and a reasonably dry fall when the corn turned quickly in mid-September.
Northern Illinois had lots of standing corn last year at the start of bow season; the folks who like the late harvest the best are waterfowl hunters who hunt fields since the waste corn is less likely to have germinated (fewer chances of rain and less warm days).

Corn is coming along. As expected, there are good, average, and poor areas of the 12 acres. The deer have hammered a couple of areas that I will overseed with millet.

We are stuck in a dry, cool weather pattern. There is plenty of moisture in the soil still but it won’t last forever.

View attachment 18857

View attachment 18858

View attachment 18859

View attachment 18860

Nice stand, plenty of rain is good for you. There's been very little if any corn planted yet in Pennsylvania, it's been raining about every other day most of the spring, and the farmers are getting a little antsy. But it's still within our normal range of planting time, if they can get out in the next week or so. Next week looks like we will finally get back up to normal temps for the first time since mid-march.

Sweet corn is tasseling. It’s a funny to see it next to the field corn...it’s so short.

IMG_0340.JPG

Field corn looks good.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

We got no rain in May until today. 2.17” fell with more on the way. At this time last year we were real dry with 5 days of 100 degree heat...the corn was toast.

WOW!! it all happens so fast for you! already tasseling - we gout ours planted last weekend!

great pictures - I too enjoy your corn plot posts.

Field corn is starting to tassel.

View attachment 18963

Anyone who wants sweet corn can come pick it on June 10. There will be plenty.

View attachment 18964

As usual looks great. But I need u pick my corn, husk it , and cook it for me. I’ll show w my butter and salt. Kinda like people do anymore when I ask them if they want a deer for their freezer.
Btw I never saw an answer to if u got that big alligator you once posted a pic of ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As usual looks great. But I need u pick my corn, husk it , and cook it for me. I’ll show w my butter and salt. Kinda like people do anymore when I ask them if they want a deer for their freezer.
Btw I never saw an answer to if u got that big alligator you once posted a pic of ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never saw that gator in person. It only stayed in the pond for a week or so then was never to be seen again...

Back