2020 Corn Planting

Wish I could grow sweet corn.... I’d have to put an impenetrable deer/bear fence and figure out how to keep every raccoon within miles from from the buffet. Damn near need to do it with field corn.

Wish I could grow sweet corn.... I’d have to put an impenetrable deer/bear fence and figure out how to keep every raccoon within miles from from the buffet. Damn near need to do it with field corn.

I have a 3 strand electric fence around the sweet corn. It’s worked to keep the deer out but coons are getting in. I drove out to the farm after work last night to set some traps - hopefully they work.

That is wild.....I just got corn in the ground last weekend. Even the good corn around here is still not a foot tall. The one bad thing about corn is everything wants to eat it. Either it wants to eat the seed out of the ground or as soon as it starts to fill the ear...... I find corn cobs and the husks pulled up in trees around my place all the time from coons and squirrels.

Reactions: don
the first year we put sweet corn in - it did great -
the second year we had cutworms in the stalks and they would just tip over.

I never tried it again after that

looks great!

That is cool! I miss the old ways of doin stuff. When I was a kid, one of my jobs when we were picking was to pull husks off as they came onto the elevator. No way in hell kids would be allowed to put their hands into farm equipment like that today.

Back