2018 wood duck boxes

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a hen found one of my wood duck boxes sometime during the last week.

IMG_5571.JPG

The other 2 boxes I checked were empty. I have 4 others that I didn’t check.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That is awesome! Next winter building some more boxes is on my to do list. We have 3 that we spruced up this winter but not sure if we have had any visitors.

Got ours cleaned out and ready for nesting first week in February. Going to check them this weekend

I have raised one batch of bluebirds and a butch of wasps in my duck box. It has been up for years. Also can't get bats to move in to the bat house. The blue bird houses are always full of blue birds, wrens, or mice. This time of year the kids want to check all of them!

How you gettting those pictures in the box? So cool.

I maintain 4 boxes in front of the house that you can see in the background. Some years you get lucky and see the ducklings....can be sad because the brood dwindles in size due to predators.

Woodies Mar 2018 (1) reduced.jpg Woodies Mar 2018 (4) reduced.jpg

How you gettting those pictures in the box? So cool.

I maintain 4 boxes in front of the house that you can see in the background. Some years you get lucky and see the ducklings....can be sad because the brood dwindles in size due to predators.

View attachment 11622 View attachment 11623

Wow that’s a bunch of wood ducks!

I get the pictures by putting my iPhone in the box (through the hole the ducks enter). I turn the flash on and the sound off. Usually the hens don’t move a muscle.

Can you imagine how many wood ducks there would be if there weren't any snapping turtles, snakes, or largemouth bass? Holy crap.

Years ago we had a wind storm knock over a wood duck box that had a "dump nest" in it and broke all but about 12 eggs. There must have been 30 in that thing. For fun we put the unbroken eggs under a bantam hen and dang if she didn't hatch every one of them (I know that is technically illegal, but we were just kids and couldn't stand to see them just rot). Those little jokers were hilarious. They all grew up and flew away eventually.

I’ve had 4 hatches so far this year. 1 more is still incubating and I think another has new eggs in it as well.

Back