2017 Pennsylvania deer hunting report

Dads Son

I'm from South East PA and I have some good farms in Western PA that we're allowed to hunt.
How is the rut where you hunt in PA?
I'm planning to go out this Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping the big boys are moving or would it be better to wait till next week?
Please post some of the Pa bucks you're taking or seeing.

Last edited:
The deer are really starting to move in Huntingdon county, I say get out there asap. My experience with Pennsylvania is that we do better prerut around Halloween, than the second week of November.

I hunted our Clinton County lease on Tuesday. Scraping action is good right now, but it was a windy day, so I saw little deer movement. The wind laid down 15 minutes before quitting time though, and a mature buck walked into the plot five minutes after that. Hit him just behind where I intended on a hard quartering angle, so had to let him lay up overnight. Tough track, as the arrow stayed in him, so he wouldn't stay in a bed long, but found him just before the rain got serious on Wednesday morning. This lease is well back in the mountains, more than five miles from the closest agriculture, so he is a typical mature buck for the area. He has had a broken ear for several years, so is easy to identify (although I didn't know it was he when I shot him).

20171101_104827 resize.jpg

20171101_104910 edit resize.jpg

This is Broken Ear in 2015.
MFDC1890 resize.JPG

I hunted our Clinton County lease on Tuesday. Scraping action is good right now, but it was a windy day, so I saw little deer movement. The wind laid down 15 minutes before quitting time though, and a mature buck walked into the plot five minutes after that. Hit him just behind where I intended on a hard quartering angle, so had to let him lay up overnight. Tough track, as the arrow stayed in him, so he wouldn't stay in a bed long, but found him just before the rain got serious on Wednesday morning. This lease is well back in the mountains, more than five miles from the closest agriculture, so he is a typical mature buck for the area. He has had a broken ear for several years, so is easy to identify (although I didn't know it was he when I shot him).

View attachment 10174

View attachment 10175

This is Broken Ear in 2015.
View attachment 10176
Very nice buck for Pennsylvania

Thanks guys. On Friday I took my 13 year old son for a quick evening hunt from the same tree I took my buck from. Ten minutes after sundown this buck came steadily to 20 yards, seeming to be looking for the source of the grunts my son had made 8 or 10 minutes earlier. Gunner made a perfect heart shot on his first PA buck. 75 yard recovery.

20171103_214016 resize (735x1024).jpg

Do you think the rut is later this year? I had a 4 pointer chasing a doe pass me Friday evening. She circled behind me and then he just went on down the trail. She wasn't ready and it seemed it's a little later around there but I might be wrong.
I counted 22 does going out to the field Saturday afternoon. I was blessed with a 100 yard shot at one of the does Saturday evening with my Ravin crossbow. She went about 75 or 100 yards and it was an easy find.
I love this bow and there's a better chance of getting something and helping the farmers with their crop damage.

Back