“Off season” fun!

weekender21

Off season is in quotations because that’s not really a thing in Hawaii. We ran out of pork a few months ago and I’ve been on a mission to resolve that problem. It’s been a struggle over the past month but my effort was rewarded last night with a nice dry sow. One of the best blood trails I’ve ever seen which is always a welcome sight in the jungle!

e601b6acc7895b1ca9c30bcf8e5337a2.jpg

6676fc9e94b1b3a6bf5720e97d22d4c9.jpg

f6a8d0fa3d626ff1e519966b73063d1d.jpg

bf87b979e852e202b0ec389be69317e3.jpg

126b5410ed8ad4c45d495146e40f667a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job weekender! We kill em by the dozens and still can't get em all. Leave most of em for Mother Nature to consume but at least a couple go to the processor for breakfast sausage each year. They are the perfect critter for bowhunting. Relatively easy to stalk as long as you're down wind of em from my experience.

All of mine make it to the freezer! Been hunting them for about 15 years, first in CA and now in Hawaii. Not by the dozens though, but enough to keep meat on hand. Probably only killed 30 or so in the past 15 years. All spot/stalk in CA and all over bait in Hawaii (jungle).

This is the first one I’ve killed from a tree saddle, really great ultralight option.

e366d2c60d2c06487a4d9fcd0026d19f.jpg

I was trying to figure out the tree saddle contraption in the pics. Post up a thread on that thing with more detail.

I was trying to figure out the tree saddle contraption in the pics. Post up a thread on that thing with more detail.

I’ll post a few pictures but if you’re interested in saddle hunting I suggest checking out saddlehunter.com and the G2 Outdoors YouTube channel.

I’m hunting out of a Tethrd Mantis. Tethrd is a brand new company that started making saddles this year. Tethrd and Aero Hunter are the two main companies.

I’m hunting on a Tethrd predator platform. It adds 3 pounds to this ultralight system but is super comfortable.

On this hunt I used static rappel line and ascenders to climb and simply rappelled down. SRT method. If interested search for a YouTube video called “how to SRT climb with hunting saddle”. That’s very similar to my set up.

This picture shows my view. You’re facing the tree when saddle hunting. The orange thing on my tether is a Ropeman 1 ascender. A prusik knot works too.

8c8240b0d99ba634b32882aa768ebedc.jpg

Pictured here is a ring of steps (ROS). It can replace a platform for less weight if needed.

54fdfd152a3a404655c6abec5c1a5962.jpg

I’ll post a few pictures but if you’re interested in saddle hunting I suggest checking out saddlehunter.com and the G2 Outdoors YouTube channel.

I’m hunting out of a Tethrd Mantis. Tethrd is a brand new company that started making saddles this year. Tethrd and Aero Hunter are the two main companies.

I’m hunting on a Tethrd predator platform. It adds 3 pounds to this ultralight system but is super comfortable.

On this hunt I used static rappel line and ascenders to climb and simply rappelled down. SRT method. If interested search for a YouTube video called “how to SRT climb with hunting saddle”. That’s very similar to my set up.

This picture shows my view. You’re facing the tree when saddle hunting. The orange thing on my tether is a Ropeman 1 ascender. A prusik knot works too.

8c8240b0d99ba634b32882aa768ebedc.jpg

Pictured here is a ring of steps (ROS). It can replace a platform for less weight if needed.

54fdfd152a3a404655c6abec5c1a5962.jpg

Weekender, I started saddle hunting mainly for the mobility and to not hang as many permanent stands. I don’t have that far to walk where I hunt so I’m not as weight conscious as some guys. I’ve been using climbing sticks with a Kestrel for my set up. Have you used sticks before or always gone the SRT route? I’ve gotten pretty handy at hanging rope modified lone wolf sticks quickly and quietly but thinking about trying out SRT. Is SRT possible without making a lot of noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Weekender, I started saddle hunting mainly for the mobility and to not hang as many permanent stands. I don’t have that far to walk where I hunt so I’m not as weight conscious as some guys. I’ve been using climbing sticks with a Kestrel for my set up. Have you used sticks before or always gone the SRT route? I’ve gotten pretty handy at hanging rope modified lone wolf sticks quickly and quietly but thinking about trying out SRT. Is SRT possible without making a lot of noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

When I was in NC a few months ago I was using LW sticks with the rope mod. That’s a great option but weighs 10+ pounds. SRT might weigh 3 pounds and is by far the safest way to climb. I think you can be as quiet with SRT as with sticks but might take a little practice.

Ordering my son a setup for his birthday in September. Going with the Tethered Nation setup. He leaves for CO to chase elk for 10 days around 10th of September. It'll be waiting on him when he gets back and we start chasing whitetails down here.

Back