“Defensive baiting” mixed results BIG bear

weekender21

I spread 300 pounds of whole corn split between two different food plots last a few weeks ago. The neighbors are consistently killing bucks over corn in the early season so I decided I need to join the party.

Plot one:
Lots of does, fawns and small bucks. One three year old

Plot two:
This fat bear. WAY above average for our area. He camped on the corn 4 nights until it was gone. The deer wanted nothing to do with him/her.

fe3b47e372587dfcba4b06f049b0ea41.jpg

68019ce2c79c0b174e469f82dc4346f1.jpg

97a2beefcf53479b570f43707fa61e96.jpg

Any bear experts? Just curious how big this bear might be. Camera is 12’ up. I’d be amazed if it didn’t go 400+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The darker it is , the bigger the bear. . I’d say that one in the 325- 375 weight perhaps. But night pics are so deceiving. Get a day pic be better. Over 400 and their belly looks to drag ground , ears look really small and spread out on their skull , and their ass looks like a southbound locomotive. Good luck on him/her. We have a 3 bear season starting late Aug to end of year I think. PIA to get out of the woods.

The darker it is , the bigger the bear. . I’d say that one in the 325- 375 weight perhaps. But night pics are so deceiving. Get a day pic be better. Over 400 and their belly looks to drag ground , ears look really small and spread out on their skull , and their ass looks like a southbound locomotive. Good luck on him/her. We have a 3 bear season starting late Aug to end of year I think. PIA to get out of the woods.

Zero day pics. I don’t expect an opportunity but you never know.

To me it looks like a sow. Short body so the belly looks bigger. Small pointed nose, small feet, back end is bigger than the front end. Its a big sow, I would guess 250 to 275. Hard to tell though, pictures are very deceiving with bears especially with no reference in the picture.

To me it looks like a sow. Short body so the belly looks bigger. Small pointed nose, small feet, back end is bigger than the front end. Its a big sow, I would guess 250 to 275. Hard to tell though, pictures are very deceiving with bears especially with no reference in the picture.

A buddy shot a 250 in TN a few weeks ago, this bear is roughly twice the size.

I've shot 14 bears in all sizes from 100 pounds to 500 plus and been part of over a hundred bear kills. If you ever think deer have ground shrinkage you have never shot a bear. A sow is going to look huge because they are very short. a 250 pound boar would likely make pope and young while a 350 pound sow is huge and will not make it. She also would not be pregnant now, they have delayed gestation, they breed in early summer but do not implant until November with the cubs born in late January. You should also be able to see the pecker hair sticking down in the side picture.

FWIW:
Years ago I learned that there are Two Types of Black Bear, a Dog Bear and a Hog Bear.

Like then names would suggest, their Nose will tell which is which. The Dog Bear will have a long Pointed Nose like a Collie Dog has, and a Hog Bear has a Short Pug Nose like a Hog does.

According to the "old Timers" I grew up around, the Better Eating Bear is the Hog Bear. The Dog Bear most of them said had a bad taste. I have eaten Bear at least 2-3 times in my Life and I have no idea which it was, but I thought it tasted pretty good. But always make sure your cook it good or if using a Crock Pot, Cook it on High for at least 1-2 hours before turning it down. That High Heat is needed to kill any chance of Triganosis (?) that Bears can carry. Also called Yellow Fever.

Deer are typically built about the same based on age for body size and weight. There is some variance by regions but they are usually very similar. Bear tend to be more like people, some are longer and leaner, some are shorter and stubbier. Some will have longer heads. The other part that is very deceiving in pictures this time of year is they might have 3-4 inches of fur on their backs and bellies that make them look a lot larger. A big bears shoulders and back will be taller than a 55 gallon drum stood on end which is about 36 inches tall.

I have only hunted bears twice in my life because we don't have many in NY so I am by no means the best to give advice, but the best way I have been taught to tell the general size of a bear at first glance is to look at it's ears.

If it has ears that protrude well off its head and resemble a German Shepard it is small and young, if the ears look more like 2 small bumps like a chihuahua (maybe not the best example) it is an older large bear.

I spread 300 pounds of whole corn split between two different food plots last a few weeks ago. The neighbors are consistently killing bucks over corn in the early season so I decided I need to join the party.

Plot one:
Lots of does, fawns and small bucks. One three year old

Plot two:
This fat bear. WAY above average for our area. He camped on the corn 4 nights until it was gone. The deer wanted nothing to do with him/her.

fe3b47e372587dfcba4b06f049b0ea41.jpg

68019ce2c79c0b174e469f82dc4346f1.jpg

97a2beefcf53479b570f43707fa61e96.jpg

Any bear experts? Just curious how big this bear might be. Camera is 12’ up. I’d be amazed if it didn’t go 400+.

when your neighbors actively bait for deer, you have little choice but to join them to be successful. Out bait thy neighbor and kill your deer early - before they rut and roam - and your success for mature bucks will increase.

when your neighbors actively bait for deer, you have little choice but to join them to be successful. Out bait thy neighbor and kill your deer early - before they rut and roam - and your success for mature bucks will increase.

Unfortunately I think that’s very realistic advice for my neighborhood. I’m just not sure I’m ready to put up with increased bear activity. I need to put more research into bear proofing the feeder as well. Right now I’m looking at 30 gallon moultrie feeders 20’ off the ground.

Unfortunately I think that’s very realistic advice for my neighborhood. I’m just not sure I’m ready to put up with increased bear activity. I need to put more research into bear proofing the feeder as well. Right now I’m looking at 30 gallon moultrie feeders 20’ off the ground.

That is a big problem with baiting - attraction of not target species. Baiting at my place attracts hogs. Fortunately, as compared to bears, we are allowed to do something about them - 24/7/365.

Back